Fox Box Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently added to my sound system. The deck unit I put in a week or two ago was a Pioneer avh-4800-bs 7" screen with DVD, CD, Sat radio, Bluetooth, usb, spotify, etc. it really added some sound and control to the factory bottom line sound system.

Today I finally put in my subs. I got a package deal for $499 which included two 12" Kicker Comp R dual voice coil 2ohm subs. They are really nice. Along with the package came a Kicker 600 x 1 amp. It came with a kicker wiring kit that was 8 ga. Not what I wanted but for the money I was okay. It also had a pre fab box that I knew wasn't going to be the best but I took a chance. For the price again I couldn't lose. The two subs on crutch field were $150 a piece and the amp was $219 I think. So not counting the box and harness I was doing good even though I know the subs can be found somewhat cheaper.

The part that isn't working out good though is the box. It doesn't have enough air space and it's not built out of heavy wood. So I got a lot of vibration on the lows but is tolerable on the snappy bass and turned down. So I've been looking and for our trucks, mine is a 15 crew cab, pre fab boxes are hard to find. Building one leaves me with fiberglassing as the only real option to get the air space. So it's not worth fooling with for one box. I ve heard about fox acoustics on here and they seem to have the best option.

So here is my long drawn out question or questions. They only have two options. Either a dual 12" sealed box with 1' air space I believe. The ported box has 1.55' of air space. I've never really used ported boxes so I'm hesitant but it says on his sight these give more sound and range. However I like all type of music ever and sealed boxes seem to cover that range better in my experience. Does anyone on here have a fox box and is it ported or sealed? What is the sound like?

Oh and the box I have even though it sounds not so great with only .61' of air space it does not require a seat lift with spacers and I can keep my cup holders. Is there anyway to avoid losing my cup holders? Does the raised seat feel weird.

scotts2012ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's another company making box's for are trucks where you can keep the cup holders but the box's are like 2 times as much on lifting the seat in my truck I've had 6ft tall men in the back seat and they can't tell. No one knows unless I tell them and I have two spacers under each side there like 5/8 think each. I've got the 2 1ps ported box and love it. I listen to it all from country to hard hitting bass

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
No experience with a fox box, but I hear good things. Ported enclosures generally require less power than a sealed box to produce similar air movement.

Ported boxes require very exact specs to sound ideal. Sealed ones can be off a bit here and there. As you know, you need at least 1 cu ft sealed and 1.75 ported. Doesn't sound like the fox is going to work at 1.5 cu ft. So my choice would be either sell the amp you have and get something closer to 1000 watts at 2 ohm or get a 2nd amp of the same one you got and power each sub individually at 300 watts in a 4 ohm load.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have the vented fox box for 12's...but I have never heard Kicker comp R's in the box so I can't comment with experience. Adurn is correct when it comes to vented/ported needing to be very close to spec to sound IDEAL. Sealed boxes are bit more friendly when it comes to airspace....with sealed, poly fill and extra power can compensate for an airspace shortage TO A DEGREE. Greygoose is your guy when it comes to Kicker products....he'd be able to tell you if ported or sealed is the way to go. Sealed will not have the output that a vented enclosure can produce, but you have 12's and we don't know how much output you want. Sealed may or may not produce the output you want...only you can answer that. As you probably already know...finding an enclosure with the proper amount of airspace for YOUR SUBS is the most important part of the equation. You can put a $1200 Dynaudio Esotar 1200 subwoofer into the wrong spec'd box, and that REALLY nice sub will sound like $hit. It's all in the details, and what kind of performance you desire

OP
OP
C

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the vented fox box for 12's...but I have never heard Kicker comp R's in the box so I can't comment with experience. Adurn is correct when it comes to vented/ported needing to be very close to spec to sound IDEAL. Sealed boxes are bit more friendly when it comes to airspace....with sealed, poly fill and extra power can compensate for an airspace shortage TO A DEGREE. Greygoose is your guy when it comes to Kicker products....he'd be able to tell you if ported or sealed is the way to go. Sealed will not have the output that a vented enclosure can produce, but you have 12's and we don't know how much output you want. Sealed may or may not produce the output you want...only you can answer that. As you probably already know...finding an enclosure with the proper amount of airspace for YOUR SUBS is the most important part of the equation. You can put a $1200 Dynaudio Esotar 1200 subwoofer into the wrong spec'd box, and that REALLY nice sub will sound like $hit. It's all in the details, and what kind of performance you desire

I'm hearing you. I already though about all this. I know ported boxes need to be tuned to the sub and sticking a sub of any kind in a standard ported box is a risk. So I called them. I told him what I had and ask him if I should go with their ported or sealed. He said ported no questions. So I did. Good thing is I can cheat the air space in the box a little with polyfil so it will be close. I can also seal that box up easily and have 1.5 ft3 per sub sealed. Which is still well within spec on those subs. They can use anywhere from 1.0-4.6 I think.

Still not tuned for the subs to enclosure but I think it will definitely be better than what I have and will work nicely in the end after some adjustments.

The people who have them say they are great.

Unfortunately there isn't many options other than making my own and I don't have the software to tune my own box. Also to get the material to build my own out of fiberglass and wood would cost just short of $100 so I took this route as the other guy who builds them wants $500.

Any advice would be appreciated.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have vented fox box dual 12" with alpine subs and they rock. Now I need to upgrade my mono amp because it keeps kicking off on me. It could just be a power connector, but once I hit a high level, it shuts down on me.

Might need to replace the power cables, and adjust the gain a little lower.

I'm no expert in it, but I do enjoy my lows. @Countrygunner.. I also have a pioneer but it's a 3400 bhv. I'm planning to upgrade to a bigger screen since that one is only 5.8 inches.

I have a 2012 sp I have the smaller area to work with, so once I get my tax money, I'm looking for something with a nav unit for under $600

**Truck name: Rampage**

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a vented box fan. Just ordered the Fox 12 vented . They recommend Alpine Type r or Swr-12d4 or d2. I am hooking it up to a Rockford T15001BDcp @1ohm . This set up should hit hard and sound good as the Alpines are within the recommended air space . I have had sealed box's in my old ram and it (JL Audio) sounded good but always wanted more from them. My last box was a vented box with a JBL W10GTI with a PPI1000 that everyone thought was 2 12's , my point is vented with the right speaker will sound good and produce loud bass with less power. It takes more power to drive a sealed box to the same level but will produce tight quick hitting bass.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i have 2 comp vr 12s in mine and its a sealed box, it sounds amazing, but it didnt sound all that great until i bolted the box to the floor, you might be hearing that, my box would actually jump up and down, once i bolted it to the floor, no vibration noise or anything, and ive actually broken some parts in my interior now from the bass