Front and Back Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayjohn77

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick question and I tried to search and found an answer of sorts but I am wanting to confirm.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar and I am wanting to upgrade the stock speakers. Crutchfield tells me 6.5 in the front and 6x9 in the back, but I see others that say its 6x9 in both front and back.

Thanks!

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have the 6 speaker system (non Alpine) and there are 6x9s in all doors and 3.5s in the dash.

I have upgraded mine and used 6.5s components in the front doors and 6.5s coaxials in the rear doors.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its 6x9 front/rear. you can fit a 6.5 in the front. If i was going to swap mine out i would get rid of the 3.5 in the dash and 6x9 in the front doors and do a set of 6.5 components.

OP
OP
R

Rayjohn77

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks gentlemen for your quick response!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its 6x9 front/rear. you can fit a 6.5 in the front. If i was going to swap mine out i would get rid of the 3.5 in the dash and 6x9 in the front doors and do a set of 6.5 components.

I would (and did) do this. In my case I used 3 way components and put the midrange in the dash position and tweeter in the sail panel. Makes for a great sounding system.

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I installed hertz high energy 3.5 in the dash ( all 3 ) and hertz high energy 6x9s in all 4 doors.

If I had it to do over again I'd go 6.5 mid drivers as the signal these speakers receive is just mids.. No need for a 3 way up there.. unless you plan to amp these speakers there is no need to get components the tweeter wont have signal. I cant remember what they are crossed over at but I am thinking 45hz to 110hz or something like that. So unless youre running speaker wire to them from an amp the highs will be non existent.

I would keep my 3 way 6x9s in the rear doors they sound amazing compared to stock. as do the 3.5 dash speakers! HUGE upgrade.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed hertz high energy 3.5 in the dash ( all 3 ) and hertz high energy 6x9s in all 4 doors.

If I had it to do over again I'd go 6.5 mid drivers as the signal these speakers receive is just mids.. No need for a 3 way up there.. unless you plan to amp these speakers there is no need to get components the tweeter wont have signal. I cant remember what they are crossed over at but I am thinking 45hz to 110hz or something like that. So unless youre running speaker wire to them from an amp the highs will be non existent.

I would keep my 3 way 6x9s in the rear doors they sound amazing compared to stock. as do the 3.5 dash speakers! HUGE upgrade.

inccorect!! tweeters will have signal they come from a crossover.

The dash and the front doors in these trucks come from the same channel out of the radio

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

The dash and the front doors in these trucks come from the same channel out of the radio
Just to clarify your statement.
The base 6 speaker system, the front door and dash speakers are wired in parallel from one channel of the head unit. The dash speaker itself has a 2.2uf capacitor built-in.

The 9 speaker Alpine system, each speaker has it's own powered output from the amp(10 channel). The dash and headliner speakers are wired separately from the door speakers. The sub is a dual voice coil.

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Incorrect, in the Alpine system the front doors are crossed over from 40 to around 110 to 140ish only.. no other signal is routed to the front doors. you would have to run your own wires for highs to the front door.

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I guess I just assumed the OP has the Alpine.. in the 6 speaker I have no experience.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
IMO, if you are not planning on amping anything, I'd replace the front and rear 6x9's with something better, maybe replace dash speakers. If I was planning on adding an amp, then I'd buy components for the front and whatever you want for the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn