Full kicker upgrade, Sub is too much-HELP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes you can get the front amp separate, IF you still have factory speakers. If you've changed them out, any aftermarket amp will work fine. Just need to get the level and volume up to meet sub.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Is that a simple add on to the 8.4 nav with base audio? (non-alpine)

the retailed $1200 kit he posted is a replacement add on to your factory base audio. You retain the factory speakers, the amp powers them, has built in DSP with processing and time delay, and the sub comes with a 200watt 10", all plug and play. (what I have, and made a world of difference,,,,huge!)

Plus it doesn't interfere with factory warranty.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can get the front amp separate, IF you still have factory speakers. If you've changed them out, any aftermarket amp will work fine. Just need to get the level and volume up to meet sub.

I have the full kicker system now.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Odd findings today: Today I unplugged the sub and decided to run just the radio/kicker speakers. Holy ****...Even the Kicker speakers are BASS heavy. Like, I have the eq at -5 bass, -1 mid, -6 trebs. Why -6 treb? The little effin tweeters in the dash are LOUD as hell. Anyways, I found out it's not all the SUB's fault.
I'm hoping with the new JL Audio amp I ordered, I can boost the highs, and cut the bass to them (via amps xover). Hopefully I can get it all sounding right then.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you feel you wasted $$$ on the kicker upgrade since you're buying another amp.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you feel you wasted $$$ on the kicker upgrade since you're buying another amp.

Well....I feel like the sub was a waste for what I wanted. It's massive overkill. That overkill is forcing me to buy an amp, wiring kit, then time to mount and run everything. If I could do it all over, I'd stop at kickers. And try get the base/tweeters to an equal level of sound.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hope things work out for you. Which JL amp did you buy?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you send the kicker setup back? The reason i'm asking is you will have to tap into the speaker wires to get a signal for the amp. If the amp doesn't accept high level inputs then you will have to run a line out converter.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you send the kicker setup back? The reason i'm asking is you will have to tap into the speaker wires to get a signal for the amp. If the amp doesn't accept high level inputs then you will have to run a line out converter.

Hmm...IDK. The JL amp does have hi level inputs, I made sure. Just kind of sucks to do all this work. I hate to say this but I miss the Alpine setup.

So...(a) return the Kicker sub [if possible] and cancel my amp order
or
(b) amp the highs, adjust the gains and xovers, and hope for the best.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here is what I would do if you want a decent setup. See if you can return the kicker sub. Return the 4 channel amp and buy a decent 5 channel amp. You will have less work if you do it this way. If you can't return the sub disconnect the amp from the sub. but use the sub with the new amp and the kicker speakers. You will be able to run all of your speakers and sub through one amp and then add the bass knob to control the bass output.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm...IDK. The JL amp does have hi level inputs, I made sure. Just kind of sucks to do all this work. I hate to say this but I miss the Alpine setup.

So...(a) return the Kicker sub [if possible] and cancel my amp order
or
(b) amp the highs, adjust the gains and xovers, and hope for the best.

For your needs, if you still have the factory speakers, I would work with GreyGoose to get the Kicker Amp/DSP to help your factory speakers and power your subwoofer. I think that is the easiest and would be the best solution for you.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For your needs, if you still have the factory speakers, I would work with GreyGoose to get the Kicker Amp/DSP to help your factory speakers and power your subwoofer. I think that is the easiest and would be the best solution for you.

Unfortunately those cheap POS made their way to the trash. It's 2017, and these speakers looked like something from the 80's. Horrible.

So...have to work on what I have. Return sub? Or amplify the rest.