Full kicker upgrade, Sub is too much-HELP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what I would do if you want a decent setup. See if you can return the kicker sub. Return the 4 channel amp and buy a decent 5 channel amp. You will have less work if you do it this way. If you can't return the sub disconnect the amp from the sub. but use the sub with the new amp and the kicker speakers. You will be able to run all of your speakers and sub through one amp and then add the bass knob to control the bass output.

5 channel isn't a bad idea.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 4-channel would be fine, if you set your gains in accordance to the sub you have in there. This seems to be getting a bit messy though.

A 5-channel would work. However since you are now getting into aftermarket amplification, I would ditch the front speakers altogether and go with a good set of components.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 4-channel would be fine, if you set your gains in accordance to the sub you have in there. This seems to be getting a bit messy though.

A 5-channel would work. However since you are now getting into aftermarket amplification, I would ditch the front speakers altogether and go with a good set of components.

You're right, this is getting little messy and out of hand. Also, the front speakers are components. The Kicker 6x9 door, tweeter combo-the Mopar Kickers. And 6x9 coaxials in rear door.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're right, this is getting little messy and out of hand. Also, the front speakers are components. The Kicker 6x9 door, tweeter combo-the Mopar Kickers. And 6x9 coaxials in rear door.

Are they the 3.5" full range speaker or an actual component set? Is there a crossover?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amplifying isn't going to fix that issue. You could run each speaker on it's own channel and control the gain. However, the issue is somewhere else, or these speakers are just not right for you. Are the doors playing full range? You do not have Alpine correct?

Starting to think that. The sound is all over the place. I have the base speakers but with the 8.4 NAV unit. I don't understand what's the issue. With the Mopar Kicker replacement speakers, everything seems over stated. The 6x9's are punchy bassy. The dash tweeters are ridiculously high. Like, I have the treble set to max -9. The bass is set to -1. I don't understand really why the sound is all over the place. It's just stupid. It's like I need a decibel reducer for the dash speakers. Then maybe I can set the speakers up right, IDK.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you run each speaker on it's own channel you can reduce the gain for the dash speakers, however that only affects overall level - not the frequency curve.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you run each speaker on it's own channel you can reduce the gain for the dash speakers, however that only affects overall level - not the frequency curve.

Yeah, I'm totally lost as to what to do next. Probably look into returning the sub at least. If I amp'd the highs...Still doesn't change the fact of the dash speakers being totally over bearing. Since the door and dash tie into its own channel (I have no idea how the factory separates this-just know its together)...I won't be able to just reduce the dash itself.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much were you trying to spend on the entire project?

You could do just the dash but you would have to run new speaker lines.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much were you trying to spend on the entire project?

You could do just the dash but you would have to run new speaker lines.

Well I'm out 420 for the sub, around 300 +/- for the Mopar speaker replacements, and was about 150 + for thenew amp. So almost a grand and still pure ****.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm out 420 for the sub, around 300 +/- for the Mopar speaker replacements, and was about 150 + for thenew amp. So almost a grand and still pure ****.

Can you return it all? For a grand you can a pretty good aftermarket system.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried the kicker speakers without the amp or sub, I just put kicker 7728ab and41 in my truck and I love it

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried the kicker speakers without the amp or sub, I just put kicker 7728ab and41 in my truck and I love it

That's how it is right now. Amp unplugged. Just factory radio pushing the kicker/mopar speakers. And like I said earlier, the trebel is at -9 and bass -2 to maintain some sort of sound quality.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with head unit the output sounds like its all screwed up and over emphasizing the frequenciesi

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's how it is right now. Amp unplugged. Just factory radio pushing the kicker/mopar speakers. And like I said earlier, the trebel is at -9 and bass -2 to maintain some sort of sound quality.

Mine is clear, I used my buddy's method to set treble, mid, and bass, crank em all the way down and then do them one at a time by themselves. I did had them all set at +4 when I started it cause I didn't know any better, still did not have any issues with distortion. It sucks that yours isn't working out for you, hope you get it sorted and sounding good.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So....little bit of positive news today. Went to dealership and radio is fine. Apparently I just suck at adjusting. They suggested listening to Michael Jackson to tune which I did. Base at 0. Mid at +5 or 6 (I forget) and Treb is a few below that. Mostly, it sounds pretty good. Problem is the music I listen too. Most are bass heavy which makes the music little rough to listen to. If I listen to Country, 80s, then I'm OK. So I guess I'll make do.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sorry been away, the powered sub is only 200watts, I suggest an aftermarket amp that gives you all the tuning, a KX4004. has a DSP and quit a bit of tuning in it.
I have 3 KXA amps, two L710's and our new QSC69's and still considering keeping my VSS plug and play as it still sounds so good.
Odd yours is over barring.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry been away, the powered sub is only 200watts, I suggest an aftermarket amp that gives you all the tuning, a KX4004. has a DSP and quit a bit of tuning in it.
I have 3 KXA amps, two L710's and our new QSC69's and still considering keeping my VSS plug and play as it still sounds so good.
Odd yours is over barring.

Gray I really appreciate you replying. Truly. Yea, I don't know what to say on the matter. The dash speakers can truly be rough-it's almost like I need a decibel reducer just for them.
After some more tweeking I got the bass to -2 with the mid and tren set +5 or 6 and treb +3. Its helps some but the music I listen too....jeesh. I don't listen to rap, but a group called Hick hop. **** like Bubba Sparkx, Colt Ford, Jawga Boyz, etc. All their sounds are bass heavy anyways but damn!!!
I'll look into the amp...looks like I'll need a set of highlevel-RCA adapters as well.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If you used a Kicker amp, it can take hilevel in as well.

Sorry for the issues sir.