Full kicker upgrade, Sub is too much-HELP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Any of the Kicker aftermarket, but not the amp that comes in the Power Ram kit like I have. The amps that do are KX, IQ, CXA and DXA line up do allow hi level.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well...after some forum reading and running into fellow RAM'er and custom stereo dealer...I may end up going with a new headunit. I've learned Pioneer and Kenwood each made Nav unit's that are compatible (using the Idata link stuff) to retain all my factory stuff of the 8.4 deck, plus they also have Apple/Android auto to them. I was quoted about a grand for a Pioneer 8200(??) unit, all idata stuff, install, etc. etc.. The guy had 2 twelves and his high's were all powered off the radio unit. So, I'm convinced the factory tuning just isn't good for the Kicker speakers.

Thoughts? Comments?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need for a new head unit. They have solutions to install amplifiers that include EQs built in. I would much rather go this route and spend the money on quality speakers/amplifiers.

IMO you need to dump the Kicker speakers. Tuning is meant to dial in a system. It is not going to save you from something that sounds horrible from the get-go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need for a new head unit. They have solutions to install amplifiers that include EQs built in. I would much rather go this route and spend the money on quality speakers/amplifiers.

Thanks bud. Care to share a few names of amps? Gray recommended the Kicker line which he said has DSP in them...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no experience with the new KS stuff. I mainly install and sell their entry level stuff, which is still great for money. I used to run their old IQ amps, and absolutely loved them, so I have no doubt what they have now is a great product. With that being said, I think it is hard to find power from Kicker products. Most of their amps are only doing 50x4@4.

I would start here for a flat signal:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_127887_PAC-AmpPRO-4-AP4-CH41.html

My sources at PAC say this will soon support a full and complete DSP, and possibly on screen adjustments through the 8.4.

From there, you would just need decent power.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no experience with the new KS stuff. I mainly install and sell their entry level stuff, which is still great for money. I used to run their old IQ amps, and absolutely loved them, so I have no doubt what they have now is a great product. With that being said, I think it is hard to find power from Kicker products. Most of their amps are only doing 50x4@4.

I would start here for a flat signal:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_127887_PAC-AmpPRO-4-AP4-CH41.html

My sources at PAC say this will soon support a full and complete DSP, and possibly on screen adjustments through the 8.4.

From there, you would just need decent power.

Again, many thanks for the input. I would say 50x4 is plenty. Don't need much with the doors. Thanks, i'll look into your link.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct about the PAC item. And actually - scratch that idea that is only useful if you have the Alpine premium system.

The Alpine Powerpack is a great unit, one of my favorite amps to install actually. However you do not get any tuning capabilities, it is just per-determined crossover points.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
well i was about to pull the trigger on the kicker power stage sub upgrade but this thread now has me worried lol

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For the overbearing dash speakers a lot of guys have added resistors to them to cut them down once they amplify things.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the resistors but still to loud and harsh. I found the OE dash speakers worked better for me along with all 4 6x9s in door and rear corners of my reg cab . mids and highs increased in the EQ a little and fader a hair to the front . Thats good enough for me . I gave away the second set of tweeters that came with the rear 6x9 kickers and they sound fine in his truck . beats me

Last edited: