Fuses for options truck doesn't have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was doing some poking around in the fuse box (TIPM) of my '14 1500 CC Express this evening and I noticed that I have at least three fuses (fully powered) for things my truck does not have and that I'm pretty certain are not even available on my model & trim level.

F79 - Clearance Lights - 15amp - I'm pretty certain these are only available on the 2500's and larger. I pulled the fuse and turned on all the lights but could not find any lights that were no longer operating.

F97 - 25amp - Rear Heated Seats & Heated Steering Wheel
F98 - 25amp - Front Heated Seats

I definitely do not have heated seats or steering wheel.

Could someone with access to the wiring diagrams check and see if there is anything actually connected to these three fuses? If not I'd like to be able to use them for auxiliary items.

Thanks,
-K

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I can tell you F97 and F98 are not populated in the C7 connector. I added heated seats to my truck and decided to go with an add-a-fuse in the F98 position. I tried to pull up the PDC but the wiring is too stiff and I did not want to ruin anything under there.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
F97 and 98 have nothing populated in them. We actually populate them when we do the heated and cooled seat mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
F97 and 98 have nothing populated in them. We actually populate them when we do the heated and cooled seat mod.

Deerguy,
That's the thing, they ARE populated on my truck (79, 97 & 98) and there is power to them, yet I do not have clearance lights, heated seats or heated steering wheel.

When you say that you populate them when you do the mod, are the connectors already there in the TIPM and you just add a fuse, or do you have to open up the TIPM and add the connectors? All the other unused slots on mine don't even have the connectors in the slots.

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I can tell you F97 and F98 are not populated in the C7 connector. I added heated seats to my truck and decided to go with an add-a-fuse in the F98 position. I tried to pull up the PDC but the wiring is too stiff and I did not want to ruin anything under there.

The C7 connector, is that one of the ones under the drivers seat? One of the things I'm trying to do is to find the heated seat wire under there to use for rear seat power outlets. I've been told it's Pink with a Yellow stripe, but I'm color blind so I need more info to track it down.

-Keith

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There will be no wires on the underside of the PDC. The fuses and relays are in place on the top though. In the picture below I have populated the C7 connector in slots 17 and 19 to provide power to the heated seats. If I’m not mistaken, slot 15 sends power to the switches for the back seats in the console.

632f55e53cd4b32f66e6e933474036f4.jpg

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There will be no wires on the underside of the PDC. The fuses and relays are in place on the top though. In the picture below I have populated the C7 connector in slots 17 and 19 to provide power to the heated seats. If I’m not mistaken, slot 15 sends power to the switches for the back seats in the console.

Do you have the info on what/where to purchase to get the terminals to add wires to the C7 connector?

-K

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They are yazaki terminals. 7116‐4111‐02. I get them from nexelec.com

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They are yazaki terminals. 7116‐4111‐02. I get them from nexelec.com

Thanks!

I suspect you buy them in bulk for the wiring harnesses you sell and get a better price (and need lots of 50 or more) but in case you're looking for a better price/smaller quantity I found them at JameCo electronics for $0.09 each with a minimum quantity of only 10. At higher quantities they go down to $0.07 (100) or $0.05 (1000).

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...&catalogId=10001&pa=2231232&productId=2231232

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Whipped myself up a Micro2 current loop today and checked the 79, 97 & 98 fuses for any current moving through them, nada on all three.

Deerguy (or anyone else really), do you have a pinout diagram for the C7 connector? I need to find out which pin is for fuse 79.

-K

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you do it with the key on? They are on a relay.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
e04ff46a16b4ed9d4f75ea9c9f0fb80f.jpg

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you do it with the key on? They are on a relay.

Yup, checked in both ACC and RUN. Given that I don't have the features those fuses connect to, I wasn't expecting any current draw through them but this now tells me it's worth my time to figure out how to get under the TIPM and see if the C7 connectors are populated or not. (Now that I think about it, I wonder if I can get my inspection camera under there and look without pulling it out...)

-K

Noticed another one too, I have a 30amp fuse in place in the Air Suspension Compressor slot and I don't have that feature either. I'm begining to think they have two TIPMs stocked at the factory "Tradesman" and "Everything Else"

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here you go. I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman and I have all of these populated with fuses, just not wires under the PDU.

1d793d5eb6f1260bde757f14249b2921.jpg

Last edited:

firemancooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
My 2014 Tradesman seems to be populated for pretty much all the options as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here you go. I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman and I have all of these populated with fuses, just not wires under the PDU.

1d793d5eb6f1260bde757f14249b2921.jpg

Thanks!

Interesting... The owners manual and the TIPM cover has F79 simply labeled "Clearance lights". This appears to show it feeding from the trailer running lights relay, yet the owners manual lists F29 as "Trailer Tow Parking Lights". And, of course, that was the one thing I didn't have connected (a trailer) when I tested. <sigh> More testing needed. Need to find my trailer wiring load test box...

-K

Last edited:
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did some more checking in the 1/2 hour I get between work and "too dark to see" this time of year. F29 is definitely the trailer running lights, F79 has no effect on them. Tried to get the inspection camera in under the TIPM but the cable won't bend sharply enough to see the underside of the C7 connector.

-K

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It’s really not that bad to take the PDC (TIPM) off and look under it. I was apprehensive the first time, but now i do it without a second thought. Just be gentle, you should be able to get it up enough to see the connectors without removing them. If you want, I have some pictures on how to do it.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you want, I have some pictures on how to do it.

If you could post those that'd be great. I read a lot of the heated seat thread looking for info on various connectors so I've seen pictures of what the underside looks like, but I didn't seen anything on the actual removal. I made a tentative effort last night, but I think I need to disconnect the positive terminal from it first, that's what seemed to be holding it down, but I didn't have time. (Disconnecting the negative from the battery first of course).

-K