garage door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
anyone know if there still an overhead console integrated garage door opener part available for 2014/gen 4 rams?
been looking on line and on ebay, don't see any of the right type of consoles - the more rectangle, less round version on the current sport/express pickups.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes I just bought and installed one. My truck did not have a overhead console so I had to build my own harness an cut out the headliner for it.

I bought the one with LED map lights, sunroof switch, slider switch, and home link / compass module. I got it from Tasca, the website had me confused however so I just went through the parts dept at the actual dealership. The console wasn't cheap $260.00 and that did not include the mounting bracket.

Last edited:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes I just bought and installed one. My truck did not have a overhead console so I had to build my own harness an cut out the headliner for it.

I bought the one with LED map lights, sunroof switch, slider switch, and home link / compass module. I got it from Tasca, the website had me confused however so I just went through the parts dept at the actual dealership. The console wasn't cheap $260.00 and that did not include the mounting bracket.

I've got one of those and I wasn't able to get the compass and homelink module to work in it. I wasn't sure if I had to have some sales code flashed or if I needed something else to make it work. Is there something that I would need to add to the harness for the tradesman trim?

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi

wow. that's a bit steep and out of my budget range for a garage door opener. I just bought a homelink module on ebay for $20. I'm going to install it in the headliner. Was hoping just to a simple swap out of the overhead console but more splicing and cutting I guess.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Brian, I too had issues and it gets very weird. First let me say I built my harness because I did not have one for the console in my truck as I did not have a console. I went to great pains to track down the exact connectors, pins etc. I used the exact gauge wire that was called out in the wiring diagrams, via the tech-authority website. And since I was doing this I even added the drops for the lighted sun-visors. This all came about when I upgraded from the RA1 to the RA2 and I noticed the "NO SIGNAL" on the radio when I selected the compass button. So I obtained a take out console with the compass module in it from a 2014. I hooked it all up IAW the wiring diagram and nothing. Its important to note that there are four cavaties in the module (+, _, line bus) cavity 4 is not used. I then got a hold of a home link module from a 2012, again nothing but it light up and I was able to code it and use it. So off to the dealer I go to get the home link sales code added, I also was having the sales code added for the CD player. The tech comes out and says you are all set. So I test everything CD player working, no compass, no homelink in evic and they just shake their heads, well at least the CD player is working.

Enough background here is where it gets weird, I swapped back in the 2014 compass module and on the way home the compass reading starts working in the RA2 radio but does not show up in the evic????

My next dumb move was to flash the RA2 with the latest update I lost the compass in the radio, this is a know issue.

But I figured that my wiring had to be right since the only way the radio could have displayed the compass heading was if the module was talking to the line bus.

So on to the present, the part number for the 2012 homelink module is different than the one used in the 2014, so I bit the bullet and bought a whole new console with the led lights homelink etc. When I plugged in the module and hit the homelink buttons the evic displayed them IE clearing channels, channel 1, 2, 3 training etc. So I felt much better still no compass in radio or evic?

I have upgraded to the RA4 and still no compass on radio or evic. I also do not get outside temp on the radio but it shows up on evic.

At this point I am thrilled that the home link shows up in the evic, but confused as hell as to why the compass does not show up in either the evic or the radio, and why the outside temp only shows up in the evic?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FYI the masking tape is obviously temp as those clips once snapped into the mount are a PITA to get out.

Also I have since obtained a factory overhead console harness, which has only one drop for the sun visors an no drop for the cup holder light, mine is much nicer I think. But any way I tried this one with module and it worked the same way so it's not my wiring.

Forgot to mention sales code for overhead console is "CUN" home link is "CV2".

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
image.jpgHey Brian I am confused in looking at another pic you posted on the radio upgrade thread with the RA3 installed the outside temp and "COMPASS HEADING" are displayed on the head unit? I thought you said you never got the compass to work?

Last edited:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 41510Hey Brian I am confused in looking at another pic you posted on the radio upgrade thread with the RA3 installed the outside temp and "COMPASS HEADING" are displayed on the head unit? I thought you said you never got the compass to work?

I couldn't get either the compass or the homelink to work when I installed the garage door opening overhead console I bought. I re-installed my factory non homelink console when it didn't work out with the other. That's the one that was in when I took the pictures.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ok this is just too weird, did you try having the CV2 sales code added to your truck? And when you tried the home-link module did-
the temp still show up in your radio?
the temp still show up in the Evic?
the compass show up either on the Evic or the radio?

I am at a loss as to why my compass has never shown up in the Evic, but did show up on the 5.0 albeit until I updated the radio and lost it.
And the temp does not show up in the radio (RA4), still shows and always did in the Evic, can't remember if it showed in the RA2 or if its supposed to.

So someone out there must have an idea what I can do?
I have the RA4 in there now along with the original cheaper cluster and the newest home-link module. As I understand it the home-link module
also functions as the compass module?

Things that work
Navigation instructions do show up in the EVIC even on the cheap one
Home-link instructions do show up in the EVIC
Home-link buttons light up with park and headlight circuit.
Home-link is trained and operates garage doors as it should.
Outside temp does show up in the EVIC

Things that don't work
Compass does not show up on Radio or Evic.
Outside temp does not show up on Radio.

I still have the cheaper cluster, I already bought a premium cluster just have not got around to sending it out yet. (I do not believe this will change anything)

I can easily live without the compass (have Nav now) and it does not show any kind of error messages or faulty icons.
The outside temp does show up in the Evic so it really is no big deal. But me being me I want to know why and make it
correct, any ideas anyone?

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I think I know what is causing my issue. When I brought the truck to the dealer, I asked them to add sales codes RH1 "cd player", CUN "compass", CUN "home link". The way this works is the service manager has to add the sales code to your vin, and then the tech hooks up the star scan to your truck and connects to dealer connect. The tech is then able to activate only the sales codes associated with your vin. When I had sm add codes he told me that he could not add CUN to my vin it was not available for him to pick from. Apparently since my truck came with the 3.0 radio the CUN code is not available to me. Also I think this
Code would allow the radio to show outside temp too. Crazy that the home link is available to me but the compass is not, even crazier is that the homelink module needs 2 seperate sales codes to be fully functional. Does anyone know how to get something like this accomplished?

Brian I believe if you had the CUN code added to your truck it would work.

Last edited:

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will the 2012 overhead console 56046064AC work with a 2014 express then?