Gear shift noise in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was messing with my radio today and wanted to see how quickly the camera switching takes place when going into reverse. I have an aftermarket pioneer radio with maestro but no camera yet and was just curious. Still debating on which to get.

Anyways, I went into settings and turned camera on and put truck into reverse. Camera input came on quick enough, but after putting the gear back into park, my shifter made a strange noise. Almost sounded like a gear grinding.

I switched gears again, and the noise was there. So I turned off the camera input on the radio and put truck into reverse and no noise....then when going back into park it came back. Cycled between park and reverse a few times and it happens sporadically.

Has this happened to anyone else? All the maestro guys, does this happen to you.....esp with pioneer radios?

Hoping nothing is screwed up

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But of course! That's always the first option

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
It can happen. My truck makes more noise when I put the truck in reverse when the truck is completely stopped going from park. If i can produce a slight backward roll (even a few inches) before I go into reverse, it usually meshes a bit better creating way less noise. Kinda like a motorcycle....you should never stomp down on first gear when you are completely stopped....the tranny makes a louder clunk. But if you move the bike forward a bit and engage the tranny into first with a slight roll, things engage much smoother....you're creating a better "mesh" within the gears. Just my thoughts and experiences

OP
OP
B

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the insight kraft!

So I had to run to the store today and the noise actually happens everytime I am in Park and apply the brake. Not sure if something is braking down inside the shifter or what.

Just wanted to update in case anyone else had some experience with this same issue