Google Pixel XL and UConnect hate each other

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Really a disappointment. Just got two new Pixel XL's for the wife and I. I have an 8.4AN running the latest software version in the truck. It'll connect via bluetooth just fine. And if I don't mess with anything it'll stay connected. But if I make a phone call or stream audio, via Pandora on UConnect or the phone, that streams for more than 5 minutes then UConnect's bluetooth will lock up. To the point where it won't disconnect the phone. No streaming, no phone calls, nothing works at that point. Until I turn the truck off and back on. I've tried the Pandora app on my phone with the same results. Even a phone call lasting more than 5 minutes will freeze up the bluetooth in the truck.

Tried my wife's Pixel XL as well with the same results. Toss the sim card back in my old Droid Turbo and it works perfectly.

Sad panda. I love the Pixel XL. Best phone yet. Anyone else with similar problems figured out a solution?

jcollins28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really a disappointment. Just got two new Pixel XL's for the wife and I. I have an 8.4AN running the latest software version in the truck. It'll connect via bluetooth just fine. And if I don't mess with anything it'll stay connected. But if I make a phone call or stream audio, via Pandora on UConnect or the phone, that streams for more than 5 minutes then UConnect's bluetooth will lock up. To the point where it won't disconnect the phone. No streaming, no phone calls, nothing works at that point. Until I turn the truck off and back on. I've tried the Pandora app on my phone with the same results. Even a phone call lasting more than 5 minutes will freeze up the bluetooth in the truck.

Tried my wife's Pixel XL as well with the same results. Toss the sim card back in my old Droid Turbo and it works perfectly.

Sad panda. I love the Pixel XL. Best phone yet. Anyone else with similar problems figured out a solution?

Same issue but it's only happened a couple of times.

charcoal1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was also having Bluetooth issues with my new Pixel. After the update to software version 7.1.1 it seems to be be working better. Before the update I also had issues with my text messages on Uconnect. The update so far seems to have solved both issues for me. Have you received the 7.1.1 update yet?

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have received the 7.1.1 update. Hasn't really helped me at all. I'm thinking it's due to the different hardware versions of bluetooth between phone and Uconnect.

lol at the iPhone user. Go try your iPhone in a Corvette and let me know how it works out.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have received the 7.1.1 update. Hasn't really helped me at all. I'm thinking it's due to the different hardware versions of bluetooth between phone and Uconnect.

lol at the iPhone user. Go try your iPhone in a Corvette and let me know how it works out.

I'm sure CarPlay works great in the new Vettes.

charcoal1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Have you already tried to forget the phone in Uconnect, clear the cache on your Pixel and re pair to the truck? Beyond that it would be waiting for the next Pixel or Uconnect update.

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's definitely the phone. Something happens when the screen goes dark, after a few minutes bluetooth ceases transmitting. If I skip a song in Pandora the headunit will sit there like it's trying to load the next track and eventually error out. If I catch it in time and unlock the phone screen it picks right up, loads the next song and continues playing like normal.

So, it's the phone. Maybe my 2013 8.4AN doesn't like android 7.x. Or there is some setting in the phone causing this.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
could it be that pixel has the newest version of android and the latest update of uconnect still isn't fully compatible?

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's not good to hear especially since I just got my Pixel XL. However, for the record, I've had dropped connects, dropped calls, no pairing, etc from my S7 and OP3 and N6P. Think its more UConnect's issue than Android phones. With that said, I guess when I get back to the states I'll find out for myself on the pairing issues.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's definitely the phone. Something happens when the screen goes dark, after a few minutes bluetooth ceases transmitting. If I skip a song in Pandora the headunit will sit there like it's trying to load the next track and eventually error out. If I catch it in time and unlock the phone screen it picks right up, loads the next song and continues playing like normal.

So, it's the phone. Maybe my 2013 8.4AN doesn't like android 7.x. Or there is some setting in the phone causing this.

do you have an code to get in your phone? I use to have a similar problem on a different phone and different head unit, but if my screen went dark and the lock went on it would lock up the BT. I ended up having to take the lock off to get it to work, either that or set it so the screen didnt turn off while i was driving.

Just a shot in the dark

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you have an code to get in your phone? I use to have a similar problem on a different phone and different head unit, but if my screen went dark and the lock went on it would lock up the BT. I ended up having to take the lock off to get it to work, either that or set it so the screen didnt turn off while i was driving.

Just a shot in the dark

I do have a code to get in my phone. Required since I'm connected to an exchange server for work.

Though I think I may have figured out a workaround. Under security settings there is an option called "Smart Lock" where it will not lock the phone given certain circumstances. Such as a bluetooth connection, or if the phone is on you or connected to certain WiFi. I'm going to test later today to see if that resolves it.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do have a code to get in my phone. Required since I'm connected to an exchange server for work.

Though I think I may have figured out a workaround. Under security settings there is an option called "Smart Lock" where it will not lock the phone given certain circumstances. Such as a bluetooth connection, or if the phone is on you or connected to certain WiFi. I'm going to test later today to see if that resolves it.

yeah my guess is that, that will fix it.

bertvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try going into your battery optimization settings and turn off unconnected, Pandora and midi. It worked for my Ram.

jdl319fos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I'm not as fortunate as riccochet. Even disabling lock in smart screen settings still requires me to hit the power button every 5 minutes to keep the Uconnect from freezing.