Hardwire led tailgate lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I've got an led tailgate strip that's currently plugged into the trailer harness. I'm wanting to hardware the light strip so I can free up the trailer harness and make it cleaner looking. Has anyone done this or have a DIY?

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys. I've got an led tailgate strip that's currently plugged into the trailer harness. I'm wanting to hardware the light strip so I can free up the trailer harness and make it cleaner looking. Has anyone done this or have a DIY?

I have added two additional 4 pin trailer harness plugs to my wiring bundle back by the factory plug. One is for my led tailgate lights and the other is for my lighted receiver hitch cover. I can't get under to take photos as we are slushy and cold. However, you should be able to find the bundle of wires going to the factory plug assembly and solder them in. It is nice to have the cable from the receiver hitch cover concealed up and under the bumper. I rewired it so the cable can be routed through the receiver. Just make sure you put a coating of dielectric grease on the plugs so they don't corrode when not in use.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
search the forum for tech authority. its a wiring diagram website where you put in your VIN and it will give you colors and what they all do

OP
OP
Doc1609

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I will be tackling this once weather gets a little better here.

LABIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A t connector is available that will plug directly in line with your main trailer wiring harness directly below your bumper and give you an additional 4 pin connection. They are available at most travel trailer stores and mine only ran me 25 dollars. Frees up the one on your bumper, saved me the hassle of splicing and sottering the wires. Just google 4 pin t connector I beleive. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LABIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stand a bit corrected they are called t-one connectors the Reese part number is 15381. Main purpose is for fifth wheel hookup

OP
OP
Doc1609

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A t connector is available that will plug directly in line with your main trailer wiring harness directly below your bumper and give you an additional 4 pin connection. They are available at most travel trailer stores and mine only ran me 25 dollars. Frees up the one on your bumper, saved me the hassle of splicing and sottering the wires. Just google 4 pin t connector I beleive. .

Would this essentially connect behind the bumper or would it be hanging off of the bumper connection. I just want to make sure it's functional with a clean look. If it saves me from slicing wires, I'm all for that!

LABIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it's in behind the number. Plugs inline with the existing wire harness. And retains your factory bumper 4 pin. All wires can then be zip tied neatly behind bumper for a nice clean install. No splicing just plug and play.

LABIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418185994.427503.jpg

This is essentially it. The short top of the t plugs directly behind bumper inline with your current trailer wire harness. The rest is long, but easily tucked and zip tied out of harms way. I suppose you could shorten it if you so desired.

OP
OP
Doc1609

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a bunch. I think this will be the route it take. This is exactly what I need.

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure i understand. my factory plug is a two plug, one for flat 4 plug and on 7 pin. In the back of the ;lug are seven wires, so how does this t adaptor plug into the factory plug

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a bunch. I think this will be the route it take. This is exactly what I need.
I have a 7 prong plug, with 7 wires coming from the back and as far as I can tell the plug doesnt seperate in the back so I dont understand how this t connector works. Am I missing something?