Head spinning over which head unit upgrade.....info overload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Long time lurker here ( Have a trusty 'ol 2001 Ram Sport still) and I really need some tech-pert advice from you Ram aficionados.

I just received a new all black 2014 Ram 1500 Express crew cab- 4X4 for work.
Nice clean truck.
OK-OK...so it's not loaded up like a leather clad Bentley

However....
I do need to upgrade some things on the interior.
Currently the head unit is the boring as hell low end stock unit.
Sound system is non infinity so speakers are ***** even for my rookie ears.
Truck does have Sirus sat radio.

Wants/needs:
  1. I use android phones so I'd like something compatible.
  2. Bluetooth hand free phone.
  3. Weather app on screen is nice
  4. Built in navi?....or could this simply be used thru my Samsung phone onto the screen. ( again clueless here)
  5. Definitely need a back up camera too.
  6. I like to have largest screen available for ease of viewing so I know that would require some bezel work.
So any ideas?
Spend the money for the 8.4"RA4 Dealer upgrade with UConnect?....or go quality aftermarket units?
What about misc. adapters, cabling, bezels, ....etc?

Budget will be about $500-950 for the unit.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Problem with going oem is the ability to bypass the safety features for nav. And to go from non uconnect to the 8.4na then add a loc pick style device you'll be pushing $1000 + to get everything you'll need.

Aftermarket is the easiest way to achieve your goal.

Alpine is the only one that has anything bigger than a 7" dd. It will require modification to the bezel.

I have the alpine ine-z928hd. What I did instead of chopping up my stock bezel was bought a 8.4 bezel from oemparts.com (I think is the site, I'll post the link later) $150, the universal trim kit for the alpine $30 and the alpine hu from cruthfield.com for $899 and made my own bezel. I had the factory backup camera already so I just tapped into that and ran it into the alpine.

DSC_0005_zpsc8bvaen5.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsp48jcqyj.jpg

If you don't want to get that involved than a standard double din nav unit will fit into the factory bezel opening without any modification

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk