Head unit for 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking into upgrading my 5.0 uConnect. I have kicker speakers ordered.
f50d0faedb8be096d99921d286f31040.jpgf0352a33da321b7a4dc704dfa77a6e7c.jpg

I am looking for recommendations for a new headunit. I am not going top of the line, just something better sounding. Also possibly having gps and DVD capabilities.

I spoke to Crutchfield and they recommended Kenwood DNX772BH
or Kenwood DNX572BH

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you considered upgrading to the factory RA4 8.4? You already have the 5.0 so you won't need to worry about getting the bluetooth to work it's a plug and play. Not sure what your price point is but it's definitely the way to go in my opinion. Your 5.0 is designed to work with your canbus system in your truck. In most cases if you install an aftermarket head I it you will lose the ability to change the settings for your truck like you can now. There are several posts on it. A lot of us have done it and works great. The RA4 has a lot of great features besides just the navigation plus it still works perfectly with your trucks systems.

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you considered upgrading to the factory RA4 8.4? You already have the 5.0 so you won't need to worry about getting the bluetooth to work it's a plug and play. Not sure what your price point is but it's definitely the way to go in my opinion. Your 5.0 is designed to work with your canbus system in your truck. In most cases if you install an aftermarket head I it you will lose the ability to change the settings for your truck like you can now. There are several posts on it. A lot of us have done it and works great. The RA4 has a lot of great features besides just the navigation plus it still works perfectly with your trucks systems.
I have definitely considered the RA4. I just haven't seen any coming from a Ram lately online (Ebay, lqk)
It would be nice to swap out the fan controls etc, but it seems a little involved for my liking.

Do I need the shark fin antenna for the gps? I don't remember reading about it in the current threads

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No you don't need the shark fin but you will need a wifi simulator to avoid getting 911 phone error messages you can make your own or buy one from OEM Auto parts.com. Check Car-Part.com for the RA4 there are always quite a few there. You can trim your stock bezel to fit and installed the steering wheel audio controls for around 120.00 and it will work fine completely plug and play. That's what we all did until getupkid and others figured out the harness to use the factory bezel You can upgrade to the factory 8.4 bezel later if you want.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I have heard rumors of the stock head unit sending crossed over signals to the front door speaker and sending more mid-high freq to the dash. Also that the door speaker and dash speaker are 8 ohm each resulting in a 4 ohm load to the head unit. Rumors though, I cant confirm that.

Check out idatalink before you get your headunit. They have some harnesses that sync to certain model kenwoods and such.

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No you don't need the shark fin but you will need a wifi simulator to avoid getting 911 phone error messages you can make your own or buy one from OEM Auto parts.com. Check Car-Part.com for the RA4 there are always quite a few there. You can trim your stock bezel to fit and installed the steering wheel audio controls for around 120.00 and it will work fine completely plug and play. That's what we all did until getupkid and others figured out the harness to use the factory bezel You can upgrade to the factory 8.4 bezel later if you want.
Is there much difference between a 2014 and 2015 RA4? I have actually seen some 2016 pop up now.

I guess I should compile a parts list to possibly do this
1) as is (if possible)
2) with current 4 speed fan
3) upgrade to 7 speed fan

With the 5.0 I already have Bluetooth, voice controls, steering wheel controls, and 4 speed fan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From reading the 5.0 to 8.4 threads

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_5_0_8_4_navigation_upgrade-64564/index9.html#post1014676
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_-_oem_5_0_radio_8_4_radio_upgrade-66196/

Is this the correct parts list for 2013 4 speed blower going to the 7 speed blower?

1) 8.4N radio
2) 8.4 bezel - 5VD75JXPAA (Manual Temperature Control, MTC)
3) Control module - 68105017AE
4) Harness - 68048906AA
5) Resistor - 68048901AA
6) 911 Vehicle Phone Override cable 911 Vehicle Phone Override Cable
7) Custom harness made by ram forum member.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi JBR,
I had the 3.0 in my truck when I bought it and I put in a Kenwood DNX570HD and I have no complaints. I got it and the installation hardware from Curtchfield so I paid a bit more but the install was flawless and it has worked without a glitch for 1 1/2 years now. When I bought the truck the dealer said they could install an Alpine for $1400 And I told them I don't think so. Total coast of my setup was $850.
Good luck and enjoy,

preachp

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi JBR,
I had the 3.0 in my truck when I bought it and I put in a Kenwood DNX570HD and I have no complaints. I got it and the installation hardware from Curtchfield so I paid a bit more but the install was flawless and it has worked without a glitch for 1 1/2 years now. When I bought the truck the dealer said they could install an Alpine for $1400 And I told them I don't think so. Total coast of my setup was $850.
Good luck and enjoy,

preachp
Thanks for the input. For your uConnect you just set it and forget it.

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like alpine just because they are simple to use

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been putting this upgrade off for awhile. I do have the custom harness (2 in 1) that was special made for the 4 speed blower, but all of the problems that are coming up with this upgrade are making me a little uneasy.

In the meantime I have applied Stinger Roadkill to the outer skin of all 4 doors and the back wall. I placed an order for luxury liner pro which should be here this week.