Headlight bulb replacement projectors (HOW)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swh822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok this may be a stupid question but how the hell do I get to my pass side headlight bulb to replace it...2015 1500 sport projectors???
And what bulb do I need also would be helpful ?
I can't be this stupid lol but I can't seem to figure it out ...help!!
91427b83a1733b31c87d68ffeb83594f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I forget the bulb #, but there are a few screws you have to undo on the top of the headlamp assembly, should be readily visible. After that, look up in the wheel liner behind the headlamp, there is an access panel. Open it up and feel around for a clip. You have to disengage it. Then you can pull out the whole headlamp.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check youtube theres several how toos

OP
OP
S

swh822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies , gonna get this done tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It’s easy as hell.
1. Pop the hood
2.take the plastic cover off the top of the grill.
3.Unscrew the four 10mm bolts on the grill.
4. Remove the grill there are 4 connections that pop out.
5. Pull the flaps under the wheel wells out. They are attached by reusable plastic pop in pieces.
6. Reach into the wheel well flap you just opened and have to look for the white guillotine style clip and push it up on both sides.
7. 10mm black screw on the top part of the headlight
8. 10mm silver screw on the bottom part of the headlight
9. Pull the light out
10. Pull the electrical harness out.
11. There are four 8mm bolts on the back of your headlight (screws on TYC replicas) remove all four and you have access to the low and high beam bulbs.
12. Put it all back together and don’t forget to pull that guillotine style clip down in the wheel wells! (I’ve done it before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
4. Remove the grill there are 4 connections that pop out.

Before you get this far, put a thin blanket or something similar over the top of the front bumper, directly in front (and under) the grille. If you do not, it is very easy to scratch the plastic top of it with some sharp parts of the grille.

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thread.

Could anyone recommend a replacement low beam lightbulb that is more white-color-ish than the factory bulb on the (MY2017) projector headlight?

I wouldn't mind to pay a little more for a quality bulb.

Thanks!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to HID's

If you want just a regular bulb look into xenon bulbs. They are usually a little whiter

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Good thread.

Could anyone recommend a replacement low beam lightbulb that is more white-color-ish than the factory bulb on the (MY2017) projector headlight?

I wouldn't mind to pay a little more for a quality bulb.

Thanks!

I’ve been through 3 sets of headlights and HIDs. I HIGHLY recommend the following.

1. Upgrade your projectors to ones that are designed for HID’s. Halogen projectors don’t distribute the light as well and I’ve heard they can even melt.
2. Go with Hylux ballasts (OEM grade). I had two morimoto ballasts fail on me within 6 months. They sent me out new ones immediately but it was still a huge inconvenience.
3. Phillips bulbs (OEM grade). Superior product with a much better color and no hotspots.
4. Heavy duty wire harness to draw power from the battery to avoid flickering/lights out and to give the ballasts full power from a reliable source. I had my passenger side light randomly going out after 5 minutes and both headlights flickering at startup. Wire harness fixed all of those issues.

I know a lot of people run all aftermarket parts due to the cost being so much less and most have absolutely no issues, but in my case I went through the ringer with issues and I spent a lot of money to ensure I finally had a reliable setup. I almost gave up at one point, but I just kept at it until my setup was working properly. I wish I had purchased my current setup from the beginning!

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been through 3 sets of headlights and HIDs. I HIGHLY recommend the following.

1. Upgrade your projectors to ones that are designed for HID’s. Halogen projectors don’t distribute the light as well and I’ve heard they can even melt.
2. Go with Hylux ballasts (OEM grade). I had two morimoto ballasts fail on me within 6 months. They sent me out new ones immediately but it was still a huge inconvenience.
3. Phillips bulbs (OEM grade). Superior product with a much better color and no hotspots.
4. Heavy duty wire harness to draw power from the battery to avoid flickering/lights out and to give the ballasts full power from a reliable source. I had my passenger side light randomly going out after 5 minutes and both headlights flickering at startup. Wire harness fixed all of those issues.

I know a lot of people run all aftermarket parts due to the cost being so much less and most have absolutely no issues, but in my case I went through the ringer with issues and I spent a lot of money to ensure I finally had a reliable setup. I almost gave up at one point, but I just kept at it until my setup was working properly. I wish I had purchased my current setup from the beginning!

Do you have any suggestions on brands for those HID projectors? I have an 05 ram and I've been looking at spyder and similar brands. Everyone says they have really crappy light.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you have any suggestions on brands for those HID projectors? I have an 05 ram and I've been looking at spyder and similar brands. Everyone says they have really crappy light.

You really can’t beat OEM lights retrofitted with projectors designed for HIDs. The SPYDER and RECON headlights have halogen projectors and their cutoff and output is just not designed to hold HID bulb output.