Headlight flicker and false low beam out message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
So I just got a pretty good deal on a 2016 ram 1500 4x4 sport. The truck seemed fine in every way except it had a "low beam headlight out" message, except the headlights are not out.

And on my drive to work this morning I noticed a really annoying flicker in my headlights. It flickered probably 7 times on my 35min drive.

So hopefully I can fix these without too much trouble?

Also I want to buy the blacked out emblems and grille you get on the night edition. Any idea where to get those?

edit: cell phone tying errors

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Check all your wiring, grounds, connections, etc. usually when we here headlights flicker or lamp out on dash without any actually being out, in most cases it leads to the pcm but not always. Sometimes it's wires and sometimes not. But just take your time and go throughout all the wiring, grounds too, for corrosion, cracked, melted, burnt, anything that doesn't look normal ya know. If you can't find anything, have a shop scan it real quick for stored codes, maybe you'll find something there. GL.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are these HID headlights or OEM halogens?

OP
OP
R

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
My truck should still be under warranty, I did buy it used but its a 2016 with 21,000 miles.

I dont mind letting the dealer take care of it, but they always keep it for a couple days and rarely give me a rental car free of charge. They say the tech has to look at it first and determine if its under warranty, then if the repair takes too long, then they will provide a rental. Common occurrence down here in Houston.

Headlights appear to be stock.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My truck should still be under warranty, I did buy it used but its a 2016 with 21,000 miles.

I dont mind letting the dealer take care of it, but they always keep it for a couple days and rarely give me a rental car free of charge. They say the tech has to look at it first and determine if its under warranty, then if the repair takes too long, then they will provide a rental. Common occurrence down here in Houston.

Headlights appear to be stock.

You need to update your forum info. It says you have a '12 or is this your other vehicle?

Sorry, I'm half a tart, I didn't catch that in the op.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
filament could be broken and flopping around creating contact by luck. As well my truck just had the same issue with the fog lamp. Turned out the connector was working its way off somehow.

OP
OP
R

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
You need to update your forum info. It says you have a '12 or is this your other vehicle?

Sorry, I'm half a tart, I didn't catch that in the op.

All good i updated my info.

OP
OP
R

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
filament could be broken and flopping around creating contact by luck. As well my truck just had the same issue with the fog lamp. Turned out the connector was working its way off somehow.

extremely unlikely i would say

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you pulled the bulb out to check and see if its seated properly in the socket? I always try to start simple. also I know you said the headlights appear to be stock but the flicker sounds more like a HID issue and even tho the headlights look stock you can still have HID's in them. they may be a no name brand and are having issues and don't seem much brighter that n what you would expect. If they are not setup for Canbus it will cause all sorts of weird issues.

OP
OP
R

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Have you pulled the bulb out to check and see if its seated properly in the socket? I always try to start simple. also I know you said the headlights appear to be stock but the flicker sounds more like a HID issue and even tho the headlights look stock you can still have HID's in them. they may be a no name brand and are having issues and don't seem much brighter that n what you would expect. If they are not setup for Canbus it will cause all sorts of weird issues.

Im going to double check for sure. Probably go ahead and replace the bulbs while im at it.

I found my flicker issue is fairly common with no good fix, found a lot of people on this thread on a different forum Headlight flickering issue - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum