Headlight problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
When I start up the truck, a warning shows up in my cluster that a low beam headlight is out. Last night it popped up, and sure enough the light was out. By the time I got on the road, they were both functioning. This morning, I got in the truck and started it up, warning shows up but both lights are on. I stopped at a gas station for a biscuit and when I started it back up, the light was out again, but two minutes later when I got to work, it was working again.
Any thoughts or suggestions on anything to check? A coworker suggested the plug might be working loose in the light, but I haven't had time yet today to pop the hood and start checking things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd check the connection to that side to make sure it's clean, dry and not corroded.

Also, you can swap the bulbs side to side to see if it's the bulb.

OP
OP
GoatRider

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Had no issues with it today, like nothing ever happened.
I'll have to check it out Saturday, I won't have time off in daylight til then.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this happen on a 2012 work truck, bulbs were replaced a couple times and more than once it would be out but when it got to the dealership the light would be on... Anyway, I finally got pissed enough to pull the entire headlight assy out and found a couple of pins in the connectors were pulling out the backside of plug. I reseated them and reinstalled the light assy only to have it crop up again about a month later. I took it apart again and used a small amount of RTV when I reassembled everything. It never came back after that.

OP
OP
GoatRider

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
So I finally got tired of it sometimes working and sometimes not, so before the state coerces money out of me via police theft, I'll just replace the male and female plugs. Does anyone have a part number on the OEM pieces? Or a link to a part book?