Help diagnosing electrical sound in the system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Ok guys, I recently upgraded my components and amp and can now hear an electrical noise at low volume levels. I believe the noise was also present with my previous equipment as I remember hearing something similar but much fainter.

Im not sure how to describe the noise I'm hearing other than it changes pitch when I turn the steering wheel. I couldn't hear this part before.

Here are the components of my system.
Stock 8.4n headunit
Audio Controlls LCQ-1
Skar 125.4
Hertz HKS 163 components
Memphis 6x9s
JL JX500/1
JL 10w6v2

I'm not sure how to go about tracking down the culprit component.

All of the amp power and ground is separated from the RCAs and speaker except for a foot where the RCAs and power have to run parallel.

The signal from the headunit does run right next to my main power line the entire length down the drivers side.

It is going to be hard for me to take pictures since everything is under my rear seats.

Ask any questions for clarification or tracking things down.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Does the noise fluctuate when you adjust your gains on either amps?
or your level adjustments on your LCQ-1?

I always start there

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grounds are another place to check, auto is right though if you are using your stock head unit it isn't the cleanest signal I've ever heard so potentially you could be getting excess noise from there as well.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Noise is present at all speakers.
The sound increases as I adjust the level of the LCQ up or down. I don't have access the amp gains right now.
The sounds gets louder as the truck gets slower. Rolling speed and idle are the loudest with most fluctuations in pitch.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Thanks for the link. I'm going to try the rca test. My amps are already isolated from the body and my ground is on bare, clean metal. The ground wire might actually not be large enough now that I think about it. It is standard 4 guage but my amps run off a single 4 guage knukoncepts run. Which is significantly larger than standard 4 guage.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Yep class d.
size as in amps or dimensions...I think you mean amps.
JL is 500 watts
Skar is 500 watts

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually you would have a dimming issue with that as well. Look into a better ground on your head unit as well.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when you say good clean metal for the ground where did you put it too? did you just clean some paint off the body? bodies are not always the best grounds as they are sometimes isolated from the frames.

also try RCA noise filters. i would say you can get them at radioshacks, but most of those have closed by me.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My ground is under the rear seat, behind the middle seat belt on the body. I ground it to bare metal, secured it with three screws.