HELP! Electrical problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi Everybody, I've only posted a handful of times, mainly because I've had very few questions or problems.

I have a 2012 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 HEMI with approximately 240,000km's on it. I'm the second owner, the first being the dealership.

Every issue I've had with this truck, I've fixed myself, and as previously stated... They've been few and far between.

I'm having an issue now where when I hit potholes or speed bumps (and it's completely random, doesn't happen every time) my dash cluster lights up like a christmas tree, my stereo shuts off, and my wipers come on... Just for a few seconds. The truck continues to drive and operate normally, and then everything comes back on.

Obviously it seems like a loose connection somewhere? Anyone else ever experienced this? Any suggestions on where to start looking?

This happened ONCE, like 2 years ago, and I chalked it up to a random glitch. But I just got back from camping at the lake, and on some of the back gravel roads, it happened multiple times. I'm back in town now, and it's still happening.

It's very annoying, especially if I'm in the middle of a blue tooth phone call and everything cuts out. I'm worried since it's happening more and more frequently. I'd also like to avoid the dealership if at all possible.

Thanks,

#RAM

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk if your truck is the same but I have a connector infer the steering column that feeds most everything in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'd say sounds like ground issue with all that going on. Start checking ur grounds behind the dash and double check your ground at the battery. Good luck with that 1........might take some testing but it will eventually come to show it self

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would start by checking the battery cables at both ends. Could also check the PCm Connections.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I am gonna put my $.02 in here because this sounds similar to an issue the 4th gen Camaros have. I would try to locate the BCM and if it's possible open the shell and make sure there are no broken solder joints. A broken solder joint is easy to spot, it usually has a fine line or crack in the silver where the component pin sticks up through. Get a soldering iron out, tin the tip and reflow the joint.

Second tip has already been mentioned... check grounds under the dash. Moment vehicles are very ground sensitive.