Help me finish my sub install - 99% done...which speaker wire to tap for signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I am 99% done with my aftermarket subwoofer install into my 2014 Ram 1500 CC with base 6 speaker system and 8.4an navigation head unit.
Do you tap into the rear door speaker wires or front door speaker wires for signal when installing an aftermarket sub in 2014 Dodge Ram crew cab with base 6 speaker system with 8.4an navigation factory head unit? I have 12" ported fox box, 12" sundown SA 12" sub, 650w PPI amp mono 1 channel D class. I ran 0 gauge OFC Knukonceptz from the battery to the rear cargo area. I ran the 0 gauge to a power distribution block with a single 0 gauge input and two 4 gauge outputs. For now I am running 4 gauge OFC cable to just the one mono amp for the sub as I am not sure if I'm going to amp the aftermarket door speakers I'm going to install this week and I plan on powering the aftermarket dash speakers from the factory head unit. But I will at least have the option to run the rest of the OFC 4 gauge to the 4 channel amp I have if I decide to amp the door speakers. That way I don't have to redo the entire system all over again if I decide to amp the doors. And I am running an audio control LC6i.
I have everything done and installed other than tapping the door wires for signal since I don't know if it is the front door speaker wires I am supposed to tap into or the rear door speaker wires I am supposed to tap into. So that is the million dollar question....do I tap into the front door speaker wire or rear speaker door wires for signal? And what color are the door speaker wires I tap into?

Thanks in advance

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just tap the right rear door speaker at the pillar.. Much easier.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
D

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have an amp. I have the base 6 speaker system.

But thanks. So just tap into the rear door speaker wires. Sweet. In about 10 min I'm going to have some bumps.

OP
OP
D

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh....for the right rear door speaker that I am tapping into in the pillar, what color wires am I tapping into and which color is + and which color is - ?

OP
OP
D

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok. Never mind. Got it all tapped into the rear passenger speaker wire behind the right pillar between the doors. Everything is working great and this little temporary kicker cvr 12" sub that I have installed right now until the sundown SA 12" sub gets here actually bumps pretty good. It hits hard and sounds good. So now I'm really excited about the SA 12" sub to get here because it's going to be that much better. This kicker and the SA 12" sub that's on the way are both dual voice coil 4ohm subs and I ran the speaker wire parallel to run the sub at 2ohms and gonna do the same with the SA 12".

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you didn't post pics, you didn't do it....haha.

Just breaking your stones. I have a fox box with 2-12" alpine subs, and I love it for my 2012 quad...enjoy the music.

Don't forget to swap out the other speakers as well to get quality sounds. I did, and it's changed everything. Highs are great, lows are even better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah. I already bought 2 different setups for the doors and dash. I bought infinity reference 6x9 3 way rear door speakers, 6.5" 2 way front door speakers and 2 way 3.5" dash speakers.
Then the next day I also bought JBL GTO series 6x9" 3 way rear door speakers, 6.5" 3 way front door speakers and the 2 way 3.5" dash speakers.
Both sets have the 3db boost button/switch for the center tweeters for the 6x9s and 6.5s
I like the JBL GTO series because they have the built in crossovers and they have a really good low pass filter.
I'm just not sure which setup to install. There are things that I like about the JBL speakers and there are things that I like about the Infinty speakers. And they are both exactly the same as far as specs go. Both handle the same watts. The JBL speakers are a couple dB higher....like 94db compared to 92db. They both are the plus one cone filters.
I think I may end up installing the JBL speakers.
I also have a PPI 520.4 4 channel amp for the door speakers whichever ones I end up installing. But I am not sure if I am going amp the door speakers right away or not. I have everything I need to amp them if I want to. And I am planning on just running the dash speakers off the factory head unit either way.

Any input or suggestions? Thanks

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both made by Harmon and compete in the same price category, flip a coil lol. I am actually partial to jbl though.

OP
OP
D

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well when I compared the JBL to the infinity reference speakers the infinity reference were way better quality just by looking at both side by side. And the infinity speakers also sounded better, cleaner, more crisp and louder especially the mids and highs which is what I was looking for. I have the base system with the 6 speakers - 2 in dash and 2 in front doors and 2 in rear. So I don't have the factory amp or anything so the 6x9 3 way rears and 6.5" fronts and 3.5" dash speakers are all being powered off the factory 8.4an head unit only and I have the 3db boost turned on in the tweeters in the door speakers. And even running off the factory head unit only the infinity reference speakers sound absolutely amazing and the sound is just so clean. I love it. Next weekend I am going to add the 520 watt 4 channel PPI amp even though I can't imagine this setup sounding any better but I know that by amping the door speakers and running the dash speakers off the head unit I will be able to pull all of the lows out of the speakers through he crossovers and adjustments through the amp so that the doors and dash are only receiving and putting out mids and highs which is what I want so that the only speaker putting out bass is the sub.

Which btw my Sundown Audio SA 12" subwoofer came in yesterday and I had the Kicker comp CVR 12" sub pulled from the fox box and the sundown SA 12" sub installed in the fox box before I even brought the sundown shipping box into the house lol. And wow...what a difference between the 2 subs. The Kicker was only temporary for the 1 week I was waiting for the SA 12" to get here since I switched from 10" setup to 12" setup. The Kicker 12" sub sounded good and hit pretty hard. But the sundown SA 12" sub hits so much harder and deeper and it puts out all the different bass frequencies that I never heard with the kicker and is louder and deeper and hits way harder at 1/3 less volume and when turned up to 30 which is the highest I have gone with either setup there is absolutely zero distortion. And I have the sundown sub turned pretty much all the way down until it loosens up over the next week and then I will tune it and let her rip next weekend.

Thanks for the help