Help! PCM Engine Harness Connector Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuffMcWhalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I pulled off the 2 engine harness plugs going to the PCM to help make room with a spark plug change. When putting back on the drivers side connector, the 2 pins holding the red tab sheared off. Now I can't get it back on completely and it throws tons of codes when I start the truck. Anyone have any suggestions?

PwhG5iA.jpg

OP
OP
D

DuffMcWhalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nevermind. I ended up pulling the green and blue tabs out of the bottom of the engine harness connector (the ones the red tab operates to lock the connector into place) and now it's seated properly with no engine codes.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure if that connector is replaceable, but if so you might consider replacing it anyway. Just to insure it can't vibrate itself off while driving.

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both of mine are bare now. Too much swapping pcm back and forth. I too wonder if they are replaceable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Markde1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
How can I get one off that won't unclip? The handle moves but it isn't disengaging anything.

LB01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nevermind. I ended up pulling the green and blue tabs out of the bottom of the engine harness connector (the ones the red tab operates to lock the connector into place) and now it's seated properly with no engine codes.

Thank you! I did exact same thing, same side busted off, thought I had really screwed truck up when all the codes showed up. Used a small drift and leather mallet to reseat connectors on side of harness. Thanks again.

TX1500SLVREDITION

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How were you able to remove the PCM connectors, my handles broke off, I slide both locking tabs-blue and Green but the connectors
won’t come off.

B Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine just did the same thing yesterday. Thanks for posting the link for a replacement Duff.

For me to get it off and on i had to use needle nose pliers while pushing or pulling. So while using the pliers grip the green or blue plastic piece and push down or up and push in or pull out the box at the same time. A real pain.

Sean Nice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help! PCM Engine Harness Connector Broken

were you able to figure out how to get the harness off? Mine just did the same thing yesterday and I need to do my PCM swap before I get charged (installing a tuner). Thanks.

I think this is a poor design with these small plastics tabs holding on the handle.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are. Part # 1924780-1 Assy # 1924779 1. I ordered one from Mouser here: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1924779-1/?qs=38Qq1exbXqd5qGgdJMBQyg==
You are the man.

This happened to me too. All the red lever does is slide the internal locking plastic up or down.

Once the connector is fully seated, I used a thick but relatively small flat head to gently tap the locking piece up/down (I don’t remember which way was locked) until it was in the same position as it would be when you lock the red lever.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different vehicles, but the same connector