Help with a sub build/install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'm looking to upgrade the factory alpine sub in my 2014 Sport. In the past I ran Fi Audio Q12 in a different car and loved it, so that is the sub this time around again. Planning to pair that with a SoundQubed 2200D amp. For this setup I'm trying to not blow over a grand. The sub and amp will consume about $750 of that budget though.

I'm not sure what I want to do for an enclosure. I've looked Fox Acoustics, but is the quality good on these? NetAudio looks really nice but I don't want to spend $400-500 on a box.

And for RAMs, is there any components I'm going to need to interface with the factory radio?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You will need a line out converter. The audiocontrol lc2i should fit the bill. Has bass restoration which will help because the oem radio should stop increasing bass at some point. It has signal sensing turn on so you shouldn't need a remote turn on. Shouldn't. No guarantee. Then it can send turn on to the amp. Oem radio doesn't have remote turn on wire to tap. I've heard good things about Fox and netaudio.

There's a guy on the forum selling a nearly new sundown 12 dual 2 ohm. Might save a bit to put towards the box.

I expect lots more advice coming your way soon.

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I just got a fox box. Seems pretty decent. Waiting on my Sundown SA12 4 ohm to get here.(I have the Sundown SA12 2ohm for sale) Throw a layer of cld on the bottom on the foxbox and it should be good.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I just got a fox box. Seems pretty decent. Waiting on my Sundown SA12 4 ohm to get here.(I have the Sundown SA12 2ohm for sale) Throw a layer of cld on the bottom on the foxbox and it should be good.

Which box did you get? If you happen to have any pictures I'd be interested to see them, they don't have a lot on their website.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Where in Nebraska are you located?
I'm in Omaha. The FI subs are really nice. I have a Fox Acoustics also, Dual 12's.
It's not the greatest box under the sun, but it gets you into the game

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I went with the single 12" sealed box with amp rack. It's 1.25 ft3 and with the displacement of the Sundown SA12 it should be at 1.1ft3.
DODGE QUAD & CREW CAB 1-12" SEALED PASS SIDE W/ AMP RACK

2F8SGDj.jpg
Ubroyqa.jpg

Did you modify or make any special requests on your box? I thought the amp rack covered the cup holders but looks like yours doesn't. The amp I'm after is way too big for their rack anyway, so i was going to request they don't include the rack - but I will need to mount the line converter too.

Where in Nebraska are you located?
I'm in Omaha. The FI subs are really nice. I have a Fox Acoustics also, Dual 12's.
It's not the greatest box under the sun, but it gets you into the game

I'm in Lincoln. I loved my Fi from before so I'm excited to get another one. They bumped the power handling from 1000 to 1500RMS since I had one last time, as such I'm going from the SoundQubed 1200 that I had before with my Fi to their 2200 amp :D

What about the Fox box makes you say its not the greatest? My main concern is sound quality; I don't want to have the box sabotage my sub because it's not up to par with the rest of the equipment. I need to get a hold of a friend of mine that makes boxes as a hobby. He would be able to make me a NetAudio quality box, but I'm not sure if he could do it for much less.

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The dual sub fox box blocks the cupholder not the single.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What are you going to do for your mids and highs? Your sub will overpower the stock setup and thus it will should like crap. Even with the alpine system.

All just my opinion.

Personally, I dont think our trucks need that much power for the subs. I would consider going with something that gives you 5 channel output and run all the speakers off it. That way you can eliminate the apline amp all together and balance out your system. Obviously would need to add new speakers into the mix.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Did you modify or make any special requests on your box? I thought the amp rack covered the cup holders but looks like yours doesn't. The amp I'm after is way too big for their rack anyway, so i was going to request they don't include the rack - but I will need to mount the line converter too.

I'm in Lincoln. I loved my Fi from before so I'm excited to get another one. They bumped the power handling from 1000 to 1500RMS since I had one last time, as such I'm going from the SoundQubed 1200 that I had before with my Fi to their 2200 amp :D

What about the Fox box makes you say its not the greatest? My main concern is sound quality; I don't want to have the box sabotage my sub because it's not up to par with the rest of the equipment. I need to get a hold of a friend of mine that makes boxes as a hobby. He would be able to make me a NetAudio quality box, but I'm not sure if he could do it for much less.

For sound quality, (with my subs) it's tuned a bit high for my liking. The dual vents (single exit) can make port noise. And I'll never get over the plastic tubs (which i dampened with butyl) Also, I was a bit ruined after I heard a few center console sub enclosures.
Other than that, it's a great option when it comes to prefab....affordable too.
I've owned mine for 3 years now so it can't be that bad:roflsquared:

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd do that sub in a custom 2 cube box ported to 34 hertz

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Jbl msa1004 and 5001 amps. Digital crossover screens. Small and very powerful for what they are. I have the 500 in the process of finishing up. Going to a sundown 10. Pics soon.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a passenger side foxbox. Pull the ****** plastic out, grab a cheap fiberglass kit. Use resin on outside of plastic for shape, pull the plastic and thicken up the inside. Sand edges where it will touch the box, drill screw holes, glue and connect back to mdf portion with screws......... sounds soooo much better... i fought with the sound of this box for a long time... this will definitely help...
Cheers

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'm looking into what it would take to just build my own, similar to the NetAudio stuff. Does anyone know of any build threads on here that have a good deal of pics or info about building a passenger side sealed box? I think I've seen some before but can't seem to find them.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Brad knobs build thread shows him building his fiberglass box