Hey everybody. New member wth some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funkola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2016 Ram SLT quad cab with 5.7 Hemi. UConnect 5.0 RA2 with 4 door speakers and two in the dash. All speakers are paper garbage with the door speakers being 2 way 4 ohm and the dashed are 8 ohm. Man, that is weird.

These may be pretty ignorant questions but my last new Ram I bought in 2007. Back then a radio was a radio. Not anymore it seems.

If I disconnect the factory radio will it in any way affect the digtal instrument cluster in the center of the instrument panel? I realize My Uconnect and phone button on the left side of the steering wheel will be disabled. But will all other buttons work including cruise control

Next question. I assume my RA2 has a built-in amp and not a separate one. Am I wrong about that? Regardless, can I install my own amp and use with the RA2. bypassing whatever amp that may already be there?

Thanks!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Your cruise will still be fine. You will lose the ability to change door lock, headlights on when leaving options but as long as you set them how you like, the truck will remember them when you take out the ra2. You can still change the speedo stuff with your steering wheel buttons. The amp is the head unit. I think all you need is a decent line converter if you keep the ra2. Or if you ditch it, you're looking at about $100 in wiring and trim for a double din.

OP
OP
F

funkola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. That is great news about the lights and locks remaining as I last set them when I pull the unit. I was fearful they would reset to some default setting.

Based on what you have told me there is nothing holding me back now from scrapping the whole audio system and going aftermarket.

Thanks again.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If you want to retain the most features, check idatalink for a compatible head unit. But if you don't care about that, then there's a metra harness with 6593nav in the title that should work for you. Check Crutchfield for confirmation but buy from Amazon.