Highest quality 6x9 for 6 base audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the highest quality 6x9 that will fit in the front doors with trucks that have the 6 speaker system with 5.0 head unit? The general consensus seems to be 77KICK41 in the front doors. Is there a better option? and also, since there is more room in the rear door and they are full range, is there a high quality option for the rear doors as well? I plan to run these off of the stock head unit and add the drop in kicker sub later on

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In what price range?

There are alot of high end units for $$$$$ also 6" component conversion may have better results but high end units with little mini 6" woofers can go for $200-1500 a pair.

But there is what I would say are the higher end better sound.
Arc Audio
Kicker
Focal
Hertz
Polk Audio (their quality has dropped imo)

RedFalcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Highest quality 6x9... There are different ways to take that...
You can fit a variety of speakers in the front or back. The main thing you'll need to know is the depth. Then do you want to stick with 6x9 or do you want to change the size for whatever reason?

Since you plan to keep the stock head unit, just because you can fit the speaker in the door, doesn't mean it's going to sound good. The stock hu is only going to be putting out so much power, so you aren't going to want to match that with 100 watt rms speakers.
And yes, that alone is not a good measure because there's also sensitivity that you have to consider.

Basically, you have a ton of options that'll depend on what you want out of the system and your budget.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In what price range?

There are alot of high end units for $$$$$ also 6" component conversion may have better results but high end units with little mini 6" woofers can go for $200-1500 a pair.

But there is what I would say are the higher end better sound.
Arc Audio
Kicker
Focal
Hertz
Polk Audio (their quality has dropped imo)

All companies have entry level stuff and high end stuff. Silly to narrow down to a few companies saying they are better.

OP, we need a budget in mind. Do you plan on ever adding an aftermarket amplifier for the speakers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically I want whatever I can drop in to replace the factory paper cone speakers. I want to know what will sound the best with minimal modification and work. I don't want to add an amp (unless of course kicker releases their drop in at SEMA next month at a reasonable price) and I will be running off the stock head unit power. Budget doesn't really matter but I probably wont go through the hassle of adding a component set just to be driven by the head unit.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically I want whatever I can drop in to replace the factory paper cone speakers. I want to know what will sound the best with minimal modification and work. I don't want to add an amp (unless of course kicker releases their drop in at SEMA next month at a reasonable price) and I will be running off the stock head unit power. Budget doesn't really matter but I probably wont go through the hassle of adding a component set just to be driven by the head unit.

We install a lot of these and have had zero complaints:

JBL GX963 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I personally like them a lot at that price point. They are better than the comparable Kicker KS line, Polk DXi Line, and Alpine Type-S, in my opinion.

OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We install a lot of these and have had zero complaints:

JBL GX963 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I personally like them a lot at that price point. They are better than the comparable Kicker KS line, Polk DXi Line, and Alpine Type-S, in my opinion.

Will these fit in the fronts, or are we talking rears only with this set? Better than the mopar kicker 6x9's 77KICK41 as far as quality goes?

Crutchfield says they wont fit my truck

OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All companies have entry level stuff and high end stuff. Silly to narrow down to a few companies saying they are better.

OP, we need a budget in mind. Do you plan on ever adding an aftermarket amplifier for the speakers?

No plan to add an aftermarket amp at this point. Budget is flexible but id like it to be worth my money using stock headunit power for now

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No but they do produce a better product than your average crap at BestBuy and the OP can spend the time to research the better lines that fit his budget and sound needs. its was just pointing him in the direction to do some research of some names that aren't so well known by most people.

And also sound is all up to the owner. one person may think a Dual 6x9 sound great while the other thinks it sounds like crap... so before you go jumping the gun and saying things are silly look at what I typed "What I would say"

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And to the OP, what future plans do you have to the stereo system, will you ever plan to add a amp or better head unit?

What head unit do you have and does it have a stock amp or is it Head unit power only. Alot of speakers you can buy that have a higher watt rms you will not see the benefit from due to the power levels not complimenting each other..

Best example I could come up with would be running a top fuel dragster on 87 octane. As mentioned above size your speakers to the output of the stock head unit or stock amp of you have one for the best sound.

If you plan to upgrade later balance them to what you plan to add later.

OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And to the OP, what future plans do you have to the stereo system, will you ever plan to add a amp or better head unit?

What head unit do you have and does it have a stock amp or is it Head unit power only. Alot of speakers you can buy that have a higher watt rms you will not see the benefit from due to the power levels not complimenting each other..

Best example I could come up with would be running a top fuel dragster on 87 octane. As mentioned above size your speakers to the output of the stock head unit or stock amp of you have one for the best sound.

If you plan to upgrade later balance them to what you plan to add later.

Really the only thing I plan to add is the drop in kicker sub

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just get the two drop in kicker kits and call it a day no worries about fitment and they sound really ****** good with my 5.0 head unit.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No but they do produce a better product than your average crap at BestBuy and the OP can spend the time to research the better lines that fit his budget and sound needs. its was just pointing him in the direction to do some research of some names that aren't so well known by most people.

And also sound is all up to the owner. one person may think a Dual 6x9 sound great while the other thinks it sounds like crap... so before you go jumping the gun and saying things are silly look at what I typed "What I would say"

Well... two of the brands you named sell lines at Best Buy, and one is sold at Wal-Mart. Touching further on that... most of those brands make cheap $100 speakers as well.... that are in line with your average crap at Best Buy and isn't any better. They aren't "higher end, better sound" because it says Focal on Hertz on the box. It's made with the same materials as your cheap Alpine speaker.

My point is company's make cheap speakers and expensive speakers. Just saying Focal is the best says nothing. No company will be superior across a line of speakers. Companies like Focal put their R&D in high end stuff because that is what they excel in. Your every-day common companies put their R&D in stuff that the average consumer will want.

I agree sound 100% subjective, but this brings in another problem. It will be difficult to find entry level speakers to demo from "high end" companies. You have to find the one or two local dealers and hope they have a decent selection on the sound board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just get the two drop in kicker kits and call it a day no worries about fitment and they sound really ****** good with my 5.0 head unit.

So the 77KICK41 kits? Do both front and rear?

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
77KICK28AB in front it is tweeters for dash and 6x9 mid bass woofers and then do 77KICK41 in back door.

OP
OP
F

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
77KICK28AB in front it is tweeters for dash and 6x9 mid bass woofers and then do 77KICK41 in back door.

I already have the KSC's in the dash, so should I stick a 6x9 coax in the front doors or would just the 6x9 midbass be the better way to go? is thre even an option for just the midbass by themselves?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Alpine SPR-69.
SOudn fine, with stock power and, when amp'ed, really come alive.

Polk Audio DB351 for the dash.

Kickers are recommended by alto of guys too but I do not think they take amping as well as the alpines SPR series.

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell me I'm ******** but in my experiences and in my opinion it's not worth amping speakers unless they are higher quality speakers and if you want a mega ****** loud stereo. The mopar/kickers with my head unit sound better than a lot of mid grade speakers and without an amp they lay down some good clean sound with a **** ton of bass. When I had older cars I had alpine s 6.5" components in my front doors and coax 6.5" in rear doors and just used one of the power pack amps and it sounded pretty good but these kicker/mopar are real good. I don't wanna sound like a kicker **** rider but the drop in speakers are good for what I need. That being said if kicker makes a drop in amp for our cars I would pair it with these drop ins, in a heart beat.

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most of good sound comes down to installation and tuning. Kicker designed their product for the ram off stock power I'd go with those. If you want to get wild we can discuss door prep and installation to make even a 2 dollar speaker sound amazing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk