Hot wire in rear of cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drako0099

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to install a rear facing dash cam on my back window,
I want to tie into a power source thats live with ignition so camera comes on and off with the truck.

I was thinking of tapping into the power for the rear sliding window.... but not sure where those wires are.... help?

Also, would tapping into the wire that powers the rear slider work for this purpose?

Thanks!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is a connector on the driver's side C pillar that connects to the harness for the third brake light. It may have switched power run to it that would power the cargo cam in trucks that have them. I know they run power on the HD trucks, but I'm not sure about the 1500. I'd check there first.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am looking to install a rear facing dash cam on my back window,
I want to tie into a power source thats live with ignition so camera comes on and off with the truck.

I was thinking of tapping into the power for the rear sliding window.... but not sure where those wires are.... help?

Also, would tapping into the wire that powers the rear slider work for this purpose?

Thanks!
If you don't already have the camera, I highly recommend the BlackVue 650 2 channel. It gets its power from the main camera.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a connector on the driver's side C pillar that connects to the harness for the third brake light. It may have switched power run to it that would power the cargo cam in trucks that have them. I know they run power on the HD trucks, but I'm not sure about the 1500. I'd check there first.

Yep that's where I would check. It's the I440 connector. Depending on if your cab configuration, it should have at least one wire there. Look for a pink wire with a yellow tracer. These will be your fused ignition power sources. I used it for my cargo cam. I took a quick look at a 1500 connector schematic and crew and quad cab trucks should have it in pins 1 and 2. Standard cab trucks should have it in pin 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
The "lighter" in the back is switched isn't it?