How does 4 ohm speakers perform???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Guys,
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my stock speakers in my Sport.
I believe all the speakers in my truck are 2 ohm speakers. All aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. That tells me that those 4 ohm speakers will play at half the volume of the stock 2 ohm speakers. Being that my truck is 2 months old I don't want to add a new head unit and amplifier.

Those who upgraded their stock speakers and kept their existing Alpine system are you getting good performance with those 4 ohm speakers.
I am looking at JL Audio C2-350x for my dash. Still trying to decide on the front and rear doors.
Any suggestions what to pair up with those JL's. I don't want to cut or mod anything. Just want it to plug in and fit.
Thanks man...

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The values don't work like that when changing from 2-4 ohms; it's not a linear correlation.
No, a 4 ohm speaker won't put the same load on the amp, but they may have a higher sensitivity which makes up for it. If you change some, you may want to change all of them so the system is still "balanced" (so the aftermarket speakers aren't louder or more quiet than the stockers).

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
^^This...lot of variables when deciding how loud a givin speaker will play versus a stock speaker. Even if you double the power to a speaker, you only gaining roughly 3 db of output...which is noticeable, but not by alot.
Like mentioned above, you want balance in your system, which will help keep all speakers transparent...meaning you won't be fixated on certain speakers because they have more output and make their presence known....