How to make 4ohm speaker 8ohm in dash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Can't find anything at 8ohm for the 3.5" dash speakers. Ordered some Kicker 43DSC3504 4ohm 3.5" speakers with plug and play harnesses. Worried about them "overpowering" the front due to half the resistance. Any ideas on how to make them 8ohm without splicing in a 4ohm 10w resistor or adding another speaker in series?

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm pretty sure the front door speakers and the dash speakers are wired together. Now, wether they are wired in series or parallel I don't know.

Wiring in a resistor would be the only way to get the resistance you want.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Thanks Damion,

From what I have read they are the same color wires. So I dont believe its in series... prob in parallel. In which case if the dash are 8ohm and the door is 4ohm in parallel would be 6ohm? and if replaced 4ohm dash and 4ohm door = 2ohm in parallel?

I think I'm just going to install them and see how it works and if I like the sound. If not I can always wire in resistors in the dash to make it better. The dash ones are supposedly the easiest to get to anyways.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
When you replace the dash with a 4ohm speaker, they are going to play loud.

I did it at first and they were very bright and not to my liking. I ended up removing them for now till I can run a seperate wire to them and control the signal and power to them.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Damion,

From what I have read they are the same color wires. So I dont believe its in series... prob in parallel. In which case if the dash are 8ohm and the door is 4ohm in parallel would be 6ohm? and if replaced 4ohm dash and 4ohm door = 2ohm in parallel?

I think I'm just going to install them and see how it works and if I like the sound. If not I can always wire in resistors in the dash to make it better. The dash ones are supposedly the easiest to get to anyways.

Your math is correct. I replaced my factory speakers with the mopar upgrades. They are all 4 ohm. The dash did get louder but it also replaced a paper cone 3 1/2" speaker with a tweeter so that's to be expected. A little eq adjustment solved the issue.