How to Replace Uconnect 3.0 5.0 to an Aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Everyone, few weeks ago i replaced my speakers and had a major clipping sound, looked around on how to either fix the clipping buy upgrading to the 8.4 and spending 1000$ on it, or risk loosing all of my vehicle settings and put an aftermarket stereo. About 3 days after giving up, i found out that Idatalink, released a harness that integrates the settings into the new headunit.

I ordered all of the parts, I got a Kenwood DDX-5901HD, but you could choose and of these iDatalink - Maestro - iDatalink-compatible radios

The CH3 May not be online with crutchfield, but you can call and order it:
The HRN-RR-CH3 Harness was about 30, with this you will not need a reverse adapter, its all built in.
The iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module: $149
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module Connect a new stereo and retain the steering wheel audio controls and factory amps in select 2006-up Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW vehicles at Crutchfield.com
While you are on the phone with crutchfield, might aswell order the dashkit and the antenna wire.
The dash kit was about $15 if i am not mistaken,
And the Antenna adaptor is about 10-15$
My total cost with Crutchfield was about 205$

So right now i was at about 550$ for headunit and mounting gear.

If your truck has SXM, )(SXV 300) do not buy the tuner through crutchfield it is over 80$ I got mine on amazon for 40 with free shipping and 3 free months and it was brandnew...

So lets get started!!(I didnt take pictures as i went im sorry, but i can go back and take more if needed)

Everything came in, You will need to connect your Interface modual to your PC with the USB to Mini Usb provided in the Modual box, not the harness box, not chrome book or Mac, needs to be windows, and what even stupider is it needs to be Internet Explore.... You will need to make an account with IDATALINK, and log in to flash the device. Here you will select your options and what headunit you have, and you will need the SN## from the head unit to flash. After you flash, it will promt you to download the manual to connect to your truck. If you missed it i will upload it here soon

Once its flashed, you will need your CH3 harness, Modual, the datalink cable and the data/aux(looking) cable from the modual box. You will need to solder the headunit pigtale to the CH3 reverse adapter.

(I would do this ALL outside the truck much much easier)

After your are all soldered up you are going to attached the required CH3 plugs into the modual, Refer to the Instruction manual they promt you, if not i will try and upload one here in the next few days.

Once you are ready to put it in the truck, you will need to remove the dash and the uconnect. Right under the RAM pen holder you will pop out the mat in the bottom of it, NOT the tray its self, and there are 2 small star bit screws. Once that is off pry off the dash and unclip all of the stuff, like AC, trailer brake EXT. Remove the faceplate, you may or may not need to put the truck into drive if you have a column shifter. I have a column shifter, not rotary (may be diffrent steps to remove that) Once all that is removed, There are 4 small bolts on the uconnect, if i remeber correctly i used a 9/32 socket and they came out just fine.

Once that is removed, plug the CH3 harness into the factory harness, it was a little tight but it fit no problem, i was worried at first but all was well. Connect everything need to be connected and test the unit, make sure it powers up ext. Then i unplugged the Ch3, and cut the metal peice in the dash out with a Sawzaw. When you cut the cross member out it will be sharp, I put some duct tape on those edges so it wont cut the wires when pulling in and out. Once the cross member is cut out, i reconnected the CH3 Harness. If you have SXM from factory, you will need to crack open the tunner plug from the clip, becareful i butchered mine and almost had to reroute a new antenna. I lucky was able to use some tape and make it look nice again. Once everything is ready to go in, remove all the wires and plugs just from the headunit its self, and take it out of the truck. Remove the cage and secure it to the dash kit. My dash kit didnt have screws yours may, and the screws from Kenwood were to short, i managed to find 4 screws that fit perfectly. You may need to buy longer screws but to get to long. Once it is secured, take a piece of electrical tape and run it along the bottom sceem of the kit, there is a little gap where you can see through. Take it to the truck and plug it in. After everything is plugged in, clean everything up with zip ties and velcro or 2 faced tape... Trust me there are alot of wires.

PS( You will loose center console controls and factory mic, I am in the works of reusing the center consol controls but the mic is lost. You will need to reroute your mic in a decript location, i did mine on A pilar. ALSO if you are running a sub aswell at this time, solder the Remote wire NOW, so you dont have to deal with it later in the truck with a million wires and a hot soldering iron!!!

Once everything is buttoned up enjoy your fully integrated 1/2 the price unit
20150526_195328.jpg

20150526_195317.jpg

Sorry there sideways, but thats what the final product looked like

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That head unit has navigation built in? You can adjust settings like the hill start assist and the engine off light settings?
And more importantly you say it's half the price what was your total?
You no longer have Bluetooth microphones or iPod port?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That head unit has navigation built in? You can adjust settings like the hill start assist and the engine off light settings?
And more importantly you say it's half the price what was your total?
You no longer have Bluetooth microphones or iPod port?

This unit is not a GPS unit, i didnt have GPS in my truck so i just saved the few 100$ to have gps... i got my phone and app mode on the unit. Yes it does, i am able to change all of my settings. Its half the price if i were to swap over the 8.4 from the 5.0, its 699 for the unit and 249 for the bezel with sound, i dont have stering controls. No those are the only things i lost, I have found out if you do that adaptor thing i was talking about, it will charge and power up, but wont stream music, im sure sooner or later they will figure it out, but for now, All vehicle settings work. I hope the mic and USB dont turn you away!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've swapped over to the 8.4 Nav unit. I got the radio for $270 the bezel for $100 the harness cost me $25 and I can't remember the price for the AC module.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Oh I wouldn't buy from them...
carpart.com is where I found mine...

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an initial issue with the factory options... If you do not have them when you flash, call Idatalink they will make a custom flash for you!

Worked for me