How to wire speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just need a quick answer "hopefully"

So I have a 4 channel amp PP Ice1600.4 to be exact

130x4 and 4 ohms
200x4 at 2 ohms
400x2 at 4 ohms

My speakers are some kicker cs series

6.5 comps 300 peak 100 cont. 4ohm
6x9 3 way 450 peak 150 cont 4ohm
3.5 dash 90 peak 30 cont 4 ohm

Right now i have the two front using 2 channels (right, left)
two rears using 2 channels(right left)
Sooo it would be 130 each channel? to me that doesn't seem like enough should i be running bridged at 400 and not worry about have right or left adjust-ability?

Also....should I wire the dash speakers to be parallel with the front components? Im not sure how else to do it?

Sorry guys for some reason i cant become an expert in speakers..too confusing lmao

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You could wire the rear channel as the right components and coax in 2 ohm, the left in the same way, then have the dash running stereo off the front channels. Personally, I would omit the dash and run it all in 4 ohm stereo. Put the component tweets in the dash holes. I couldn't get components plus dash speakers to blend. Was far better with the tweets in the dash for me.

I think 130x4 should be plenty of power. I suspect your head unit isn't putting out the voltage to your amp if things aren't loud enough.

What are you using for a head unit?

If you wire the dash to the components, you will be running those channels in 2 ohms thus overpowering the dash before reaching the volume you want from the components.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hmmm well i already have the tweeters in the sails. That sucks to hear about the dash speakers since i already put them in lol just was unsure on the wiring.

I haven't even power it on yet to try to tune it since i just put all of the speakers and amps in this weekend. Im running a pioneer avic 5200 though.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I actually want to run these dash speakers the best way possible would it be best if I just got another small 2 channel amp or just run the dash speakers off the HU orrr does someone know a wiring trick lol

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For tuning purposes it would be easy to run a 2ch amp. Running them off the HU isn't a bad option either.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For tuning purposes it would be easy to run a 2ch amp. Running them off the HU isn't a bad option either.

In terms of cost id rather just use the HU but i wouldnt have as much tune-ability with the head unit.

Plus the amp in the HU is 14 watt RMS 50 max x 4 4 ohm (see full specs below)

would a amp with 30 rms 90 max (or close to it) really make a difference with dash speakers?

CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Technically buy doubling the power you will have a very noticeable again in output. Let's call it a 3 decibel gain and at ear level that would be a huge difference. When you do this just make sure you can cut the lower frequencies to the dash speakers. Anything below 200hz at volume will be damaging to them.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
130 watts per speaker is plenty of power. My setup in my truck is 65 watts per speaker and that is more then enough power. The speakers you have (based on the figures you gave) are only supposed to be running at 100 watts rms anyway. Bridged at 400 watts is enough to power a decent subwoofer. Is the dash speaker acting as a center channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Technically buy doubling the power you will have a very noticeable again in output. Let's call it a 3 decibel gain and at ear level that would be a huge difference. When you do this just make sure you can cut the lower frequencies to the dash speakers. Anything below 200hz at volume will be damaging to them.

gotcha. Might have to buy a 2 channel amp. Im not sure i can adjust just the HU amped speakers and not the pre amp speakers at the same time.

130 watts per speaker is plenty of power. My setup in my truck is 65 watts per speaker and that is more then enough power. The speakers you have (based on the figures you gave) are only supposed to be running at 100 watts rms anyway. Bridged at 400 watts is enough to power a decent subwoofer. Is the dash speaker acting as a center channel?

the center speakers are just another right/left speaker there are two of them

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
gotcha. Might have to buy a 2 channel amp. Im not sure i can adjust just the HU amped speakers and not the pre amp speakers at the same time.

the center speakers are just another right/left speaker there are two of them

I think if you wire the right dash speaker and right door component together in parallel, you will be drawing 2ohm total on the channel. That should draw 200 watts from the amp, and it will be split between the two speakers. So each speaker would draw 100 watts. That will probably be too much for your center if they are only rated for 30 watts. If you need good info for wiring speakers and all the electrical equations for draw, crutchfield.com has really good recourses for basic wiring diagrams

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I too don't think you want to run the front and dash off the same channel for the same reason Chrisp stated.

From prior experience with a pioneer avh5600, you can run the rcas in addition to using the decks amp through speaker wire outputs. However, when you enable the Pioneer crossover it affects the rca signal as well.

Again from experience, dash speakers plus components in the sails sounds terrible without significant signal processing like time alignment, delay, etc. You start getting reflections from the glass along with the semi on axis sail tweets. Gets really sloppy.

You are here for advice obviously. Here's mine: run the 4 channel to the doors and rears in stereo and either omit the dash or run the dash off the deck and wire some 200hz bass blockers/capacitors inline to the positive wire. Save the money for a sub.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
if i find an amp for these 2 dash speakers It needs to have a low pass filter, right? Does it need a preamp output also or can i just use a Y RCA cable to run the front RCA to both amps?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I too don't think you want to run the front and dash off the same channel for the same reason Chrisp stated.

From prior experience with a pioneer avh5600, you can run the rcas in addition to using the decks amp through speaker wire outputs. However, when you enable the Pioneer crossover it affects the rca signal as well.

Again from experience, dash speakers plus components in the sails sounds terrible without significant signal processing like time alignment, delay, etc. You start getting reflections from the glass along with the semi on axis sail tweets. Gets really sloppy.

You are here for advice obviously. Here's mine: run the 4 channel to the doors and rears in stereo and either omit the dash or run the dash off the deck and wire some 200hz bass blockers/capacitors inline to the positive wire. Save the money for a sub.

Hmm alright ill have to look at the bass blockers. I already have 2 10" subs!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40127_Xscorpion-BB199.html these?

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Bass blocker is a brand. If you can't find one at the right crossover point, contact someone at parts-express and tell them the crossover point you want and for 4 ohms. One per speaker of course. They will get a little warm so make sure they can breathe.