HU recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I replaced the speakers in my RCSB and installed a Kicker Hideaway a few weeks ago. While the sound is much improved it isn't as good as the sound in my CC and I'm thinking I need a new head unit. The RCSB has Kicker components in the doors and Kicker 6x9s behind the seats.

I replaced all of the speakers, installed a Kicker Hideaway and also installed a Kenwood head unit in the CC and the sound is much better. I used Polk Audio in the dash and front doors of the CC and Kicker 6x9s in the rear doors.

Specifics:

-I'll be replacing a Uconnect 5.0 with the 5" touch screen so I do have some controls which are changed through the factory head unit. I don't really anticipate needing to change them but keeping them would be a plus.

-I don't need a CD player and prefer to stream music from my iPhone.

-A double DIN would be preferred if there is an adapter plate that allows it.

-I don't need navigation, my iPhone works fine for that.

-The Kenwood in my CC has been great other than sometimes struggling to connect via bluetooth to my phone. I'm not opposed to going with a Kenwood again.

Does anyone have something along these lines they would recommend as a replacement for my factory head unit?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Alpine and pioneer are my top choices. If you want to retain the most oem settings, check maestro idatalink. If you don't care about that, then the metra...9523nav harness is great. If you have or plan on adding steering wheel volume buttons you would need something like an axxess sw thing. Cruthfield can direct you to the harness but you can save a bunch on Amazon.

As for mounting, you have to cut a small bit of metal behind the oem deck. Not hard, shouldn't harm anything either. The double din trim ring is pretty spot on.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am really enjoying the Kenwood DMX7704s I installed into my truck about a month ago. If you've enjoyed Kenwood in the past, I'd highly recommend looking at it as it meets your needs and gives you other possibilities. I don't know what your budget is but it would take roughly $800 with an idatalink maestro interface, HU and bezel.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I am really enjoying the Kenwood DMX7704s I installed into my truck about a month ago. If you've enjoyed Kenwood in the past, I'd highly recommend looking at it as it meets your needs and gives you other possibilities. I don't know what your budget is but it would take roughly $800 with an idatalink maestro interface, HU and bezel.

I was just looking at that very unit on Crutchfield. $800 is a bit more than I wanted to spend but I won't rule it out either. If you don't mind, what is it that you like about it the most? The Apple Carplay is new to me so I'm not sure how useful it actually is.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just looking at that very unit on Crutchfield. $800 is a bit more than I wanted to spend but I won't rule it out either. If you don't mind, what is it that you like about it the most? The Apple Carplay is new to me so I'm not sure how useful it actually is.

I prefer Kenwood sound over other HUs. The DMX7704s, while not being in the Exelon line is using identical components found in that line. It is 100% identical with exception to not having a CD, Nav or network.

I like Kenwood's sound processing. If you are creating a simple setup, say components front, rears and a sub, out of the box the Kenwood is going to give you a great experience. I believe this to be true with many HU's today but I am just more familiar with the Exelon line.

As for Carplay / Android auto, this was a major reason for my decision to purchase this unit. Nav units by car manufacturers always leave something to be desired, updates are slow and guidance lacks intelligence. Google Maps IMO just can't be beat. The ability to plug in my phone and use Google Maps is huge for me as I am a fisherman always looking for new spots or launch points in my kayak. The other features of Carplay / Android Auto like messaging, music, etc. are too convenient to ignore and it is honestly safer.

As mentioned, I've had the unit for about a month and it has been flawless so far in every aspect for me. I would absolutely do this over again if I had to replace my truck.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thanks troutspinner

Latest posts