HVAC Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 14 express has the dash style in the top pic and I would like install a double DIN head unit and have a volume knob. Aside from the issue of making the factory knob interface with a pioneer, was there an hvac option that fits in that dash that is not dual zone? aka easy to swap

Attachments

• ramdealerAd (12).jpg
    ramdealerAd (12).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65
  • cr1297ddb.jpg
    cr1297ddb.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 118

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Use your factory bezel. That and the dual zone are the only options.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not really sure what you're asking or are trying to do.

There are three different systems:
-Single zone with 3 knobs (what you have)
-Single zone with push buttons and radio control knobs
-Dual zone (looks like the single zone with buttons except it has an "AUTO" button and extra temp buttons)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you want a volume knob that is on the higher end radios there is more than just swapping out the bezel the heater and heater controls are all different. different programs in the can bus. list goes on and on.

you would be better finding a dd with a volume knob.

OP
OP
A

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you want a volume knob that is on the higher end radios there is more than just swapping out the bezel the heater and heater controls are all different. different programs in the can bus. list goes on and on.

you would be better finding a dd with a volume knob.

that is what I was trying to do, volume knob with pioneer avh. I was unsure if there was a single zone hvac option that went into the 8 inch style but it sounds like no

thanks

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes you are correct no is the answer.

technically there is single zone also with the factory 8.4 but it still has the push button controls like the dual zone models

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
that is what I was trying to do, volume knob with pioneer avh. I was unsure if there was a single zone hvac option that went into the 8 inch style but it sounds like no

thanks

You can do a conversion to the 8.4 bezel like you were going to install an 8.4 radio and then use this kit with the aftermarket radio instead.
http://www.scosche.com/cr1297ddb#product_tabs_compatibility

What I don't know is whether the idatalink or whatever interface you choose will send the signals from the volume/tuner knobs on the bezel to the aftermarket radio. They're sent across the CAN bus just like the ones from the steering wheel so there's no technical reason why it can't. I just don't know if they built that in or not.

OP
OP
A

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can do a conversion to the 8.4 bezel like you were going to install an 8.4 radio and then use this kit with the aftermarket radio instead.
Ram Truck Dash Kit 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Aftermarket Installation Kit | CR1297DDB | by Scosche

What I don't know is whether the idatalink or whatever interface you choose will send the signals from the volume/tuner knobs on the bezel to the aftermarket radio. They're sent across the CAN bus just like the ones from the steering wheel so there's no technical reason why it can't. I just don't know if they built that in or not.

Assuming one could make the knobs work, what about the HVAC controls?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Assuming one could make the knobs work, what about the HVAC controls?

If you do the conversion for that bezel as described in the 8.4 conversion thread here it will be just like a truck that came with that bezel from the factory.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when people are doing the 8.4 conversion they are either using the current dash bezel the OP has ad using a steering wheel control for the volume, or they are getting the custom bezel that does have a volume knob HOWEVER it still has the 3 knob setup for hvac and not the push button.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
when people are doing the 8.4 conversion they are either using the current dash bezel the OP has ad using a steering wheel control for the volume, or they are getting the custom bezel that does have a volume knob HOWEVER it still has the 3 knob setup for hvac and not the push button.

Or they're converting the truck over to use the factory 8.4 bezel with the push buttons like I suggested OP could do.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or they're converting the truck over to use the factory 8.4 bezel with the push buttons like I suggested OP could do.

highly unlikely i would love to see it! you have to get chrysler engineering involved for sales code purposes