I hope i didn't fry everything... SOS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pags89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,

I think i messed up. I have a 2014 1500 bighorn rwd 8spd. Long story short I banged into a pole in a parking lot and sheared my headlight off and banged up the fender/bumper. in the process of doing so, the little female metal pins pulled out of the plastic connector on the body side wiring harness for the headlight. (not the turn signal, i hope that makes sense)

So, today was the day i put it all back together. When it came time to install the headlights i had to figure out what order the pins/wires go into the plastic connector for the headlight (not the turn signal). Since it was kind of trial and error I left the battery connected (I know, dumb). Once I finally got it right I was happy for about 2.5 seconds, until I realized the radio and dash LCD displays are dead, and the truck won't start-wont even click. The strange things are that now, after having the keys in the run position for about 5 seconds, the wipers come on even when switched off, I also have all dash lights and my shifter indicator lights up in P, and lastly- the horn won't work.

So as of now i pulled both headlights back out and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery... Im really hoping I didn't fry the computer or something. I should also mention that I have retroshop 13+ projector harnesses/projectors installed (no HID). I hope I gave enough info here...

Has anybody ever seen something like this???

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Before a computer fries it will usually pop a fuse somewhere. I'd start looking in the fuse panel that is accessible when the driver door is open and then go under the hood to the PDC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pags89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATES!!!

Battery was disconnected for ~90 minutes. WE HAVE SCREENS!... but still no start. Now I just get a click when I try to start it. Dead battery doesn't seem likely.. but I guess its possible..

Ideas?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
might be more than one issue.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Did you check the fuses like was suggested? My Tahoe used to blow fuses left and right.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Check your battery voltage and fuses!

Kevin

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you hsve not done so, undo the way you had the wires connected. This time, use the opposite side as a guide for their positions on the plug.

Then reconnect power and go through both fuse blocks, (insude the cab and under the hood) fuse by fuse with a 12v test light and confirm their condition. Replace any that are blown and then report back.

I don't know if these trucks have fuseable links or not. Hopefu6 not. They can be difficult to trace and track down. Good luck

OP
OP
P

pags89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, Im taking the battery in to be tested now and will go through the fuses next.

UPDATES! battery was around 15%. Given that my truck has 112k (I drive about 1k/week) i figured it was time for a new one. I'm going to pop that in and report back.

OP
OP
P

pags89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ITS ALIVE! Turns out it was just the battery- the factory battery was only measuring 151.2 CCA.. so that explains a lot.

The truck is back together and looking mean. I'll try to post a pic in a little.

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. :favorites13:

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
ITS ALIVE! Turns out it was just the battery- the factory battery was only measuring 151.2 CCA.. so that explains a lot.

The truck is back together and looking mean. I'll try to post a pic in a little.

I wonder if the crossed wires put some of the severely worn cells in your battery to rest. Glad it is fixed!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Post up a pic... Lets see those projectors!!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio