I need help with a new car audio setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteram432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was needing help with a new audio setup.. I'm set on 2 10" alpine type r, a Hifonics 2000 watt amp.. I'm not sure on what box to get. I'm looking at the Fox acoustics box ported, or planning on getting a custom box made.. any suggestions??
Also, what is needed to hook up to stock head unit.. it's the alpine 10 speaker system.. on another note, I'm satisfied with the sound quality, besides the bass.. only thing I would like to change would be the ceiling speakers, anyone done it before?? I would like to get more voice out of those and the dash speakers.. any advice?? Tia..

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well being you have the alpine system that makes things little more difficult to make anyadjustments to get more out of those ceiling speakers. The good thing is about it is to add more bass you can use tap the sub wires with a LOC and add a more powerful amp that way, but again you are limited to the stock hu frequencies going to the stock sub. Good luck and keep us posted on your install.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are only adding subs, and never want to power aftermarket speakers, I'd get an AudioControl Lc2i. Tap off your OE sub for the input into the LOC. I'd go with custom box if you can afford it.

I wouldn't bother with upgraded rear ceiling speakers. They are an odd size (2.5-2.75"). You could swap an aftermarket tweet, or custom driver from Parts Express or Madisound in there, but it wouldn't be beneficial if still run off the horrible OE Alpine amp. You can benefit by swapping new 3.5s in the dash. It will crisp up the highs. I prefer no dash speakers, but that involves a lot more.

OP
OP
W

whiteram432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so I'm basically **** out of luck on adding aftermarket speakers besides the sub?? That blows.. I would like to replace the dash speakers just don't know what watts the stock unit is sending out to them

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically watts won't matter to much in this situation since anything aftermarket will be more sensetive than the stock speakers so they will be able to get louder on less power. What you want to find out is what ohm load the stock speakers are and try to match them. You will only be SOL if you want to externally amp the new speakers you put in and want to eq for better sound quality as you are still working with the stock systems signal and eq limitations.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Well put. None of the speakers in the Alpine setup get a full range signal, so unless you completely bypass the stock HU any replacement speakers will only receive that same limited bandwidth the stockers get. they might be able to do more but will be limited by the signal they receive. A PITA for sure.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can easily replace the dash speakers. Almost any 3.5 coax will fit, and it will improve your sound some. replacing the door speakers is a whole other story -- as they don't get a full-range signal. The Mopar Kicker upgrade is the easiest for door speakers, unless you want to go all out.

OP
OP
W

whiteram432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmmmm....... Thinking...Thinking..Thinking.. sounds like a challenge I should not take up right now.. financially speaking

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am about to embark on this journey myself. I am going for more of a budget build myself but even on a budget there are improvements to be made. It stinks that none of the speakers get a full range signal but that doesn't mean you can't replace the speakers with better performing units. There is just no point in going for that $600 Focal components unless you plan on doing a lot more work.

If it helps, the stock 'alpine' speakers in my '12 are all 2.5ohm. Somewhere I found the nominal wattage for each of the factory amp channels but can't seem to find it now... if I do I will post them up too.

OP
OP
W

whiteram432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my interest is growing on this... Question now is, how would I go about the build

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
my interest is growing on this... Question now is, how would I go about the build

A good start is to search for 'alpine' here on this forum.

If you don't find enough info here, do a google search for 'Ram Alpine' or Dodge Alpine' or Chrysler Alpine'. The factory alpine system is used in almost every Chrysler vehicle line over the last 5 years so don't limit your fact finding to just Rams. There is tons of info out there, some good , some bad. You have to decide who to believe.

sent thru a cloud of smoke