Im sure this has been answered elsewhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Been very busy lately with work, holidays etc. Havent had time to scan the forums for answers like usual. I'm plannin g on upgrading my basic oem stereo to a pioneerk avh-x5800bhs. I would like to be able to retain steering wheel controls, and add a mopar back up camera. Is the idatalink maestro ADS-MRR the only thing I need? Will the $80 install "kit" from crutchfield do the same thing?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
No help but will be keeping a eye on the answers,, Merry Christmas

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So Been very busy lately with work, holidays etc. Havent had time to scan the forums for answers like usual. I'm plannin g on upgrading my basic oem stereo to a pioneerk avh-x5800bhs. I would like to be able to retain steering wheel controls, and add a mopar back up camera. Is the idatalink maestro ADS-MRR the only thing I need? Will the $80 install "kit" from crutchfield do the same thing?

not too familiar with the idatalink maestro but im pretty sure your still going to need a can-bus harness. pac makes one, and they also have their own steering wheel interface control. if your going with an aftermarket radio, id probably skip the OEM backup camera and go aftermarket for that as well.

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sickboy just made a great post about this the other day. Here is a link to it. http://www.ramforum.com/f51/idatalink_maestro-95131/

I did read through some of it. His build is far beyond my comprehension though, admittedly. I dont need to retain all kinds of stuff, like he did. Harness for this, module for that, etc. As far as the rear camera goes, I like the mopar one in the tailgate handle. The 3 recommended by crutcfield are cheap, wireless, or $500. Mopar is $250.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i skipped the oem for an aftermarket camera.my kenwood allowed for 2 camera inputs so i had the rear wired to a switch so i can have it on whenever i want.useful to see the boat as im pulling it with the camper on, and the front turns on thru the deck.why a front camera? really easy to park in a lot now with a big ass winch on the front.before,i'd think i was close to the car in front but actually had 3 feet in front of me.that got really old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually the front camera would come in handy for that! I am terrible at parking my truck, so that would certainly help out! How is your rear camera mounted? I like the cleanliness of it in the handle. Dont want a license plate cam.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've got the silver rax jailbreak installed on my truck. Front cam displays on my 8.4 OEM screen along with the OEM rear cam. I can hook up other cams to display too.
https://youtu.be/WqfnM7btMJ0
I love it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Actually the front camera would come in handy for that! I am terrible at parking my truck, so that would certainly help out! How is your rear camera mounted? I like the cleanliness of it in the handle. Dont want a license plate cam.

mine are audiovox aca800's.couldn't do the tailgate because it comes off when the camper goes on.plus the audiovox has a surface mount bracket so i can hi mount it to the camper licence plate bracket.i was told it has better clarity than the oem but who knows.could be bs.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

with an aftermarket radio you can use any cam you want. aftermarket radios are a simple rca style plug into the radio. I used an aftermarket style "bullet" cam and was able to mount it in the tailgate handle and it looked factory on my old '13.

The maestro is not the only piece, but with certain radios it will give you the ability to do many other functions. however the radio you are looking at does not with with the maestro so i would not waste the money on it unless others can say differently.