Infinity Reference 2-way vs 3-way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I'm looking to update the stock speakers in my 2013 1500 Express. It has the base 3.0 stereo in it, so it is really basic right now. Plan is to get a Pioneer 7" head unit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X491BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X491BHS.html?tp=72334&avf=Y

I have read a lot of good things about the Infinity Reference speakers. On Amazon, they can be had for a pretty good price. I can fit the 3.5" dash and 6x9 3-way's in the rear doors. I'm just stuck on the front doors. According to Crutchfield, the 3 way 6"x9" have too wide of a magnet and are too deep to fit in the front door. However the 2-way 6"x9" say the magnet will fit, but they are 0.166" too deep. I'm thinking I could space them out with a 1/4" spacer and be good? Would it be worth trying to modify the door to fit the three way? Or will the 2-way be fine for the front doors? Should I not bother with the 6"x9"s and just go with a smaller round speaker and adapter that will definitely fit?

I see Pioneer has a 3-way speaker that Crutchfield says will fit the front doors. Is it worth mixing brands to fit the 3 way? Or should I stick within the Reference family? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG690/Pioneer-TS-G690.html?tp=91

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing I'm going thru right now. I like the JL Audio 6x9s as well but fitting the front door is the issue. Not a lot out there on them either.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i got infinity speakers through out my reg cab. the doors have 6.5 inch components and i mounted the tweeters for those in the sail panel. i also have the pioneer touch screen. I'm runnin the pioneer compact 4 channel amp also. I'm by no means a sound expert but i like my set up.

OP
OP
T

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - installed the 3.5" in the dash and the 6x9" three way's in the rear doors. In the front doors I put the 6x9" two way version because the magnet is slightly smaller. For the front doors I used 1/4" spacers so they didn't hit the window track. Everything went in smoothly. Getting the head unit in a couple weeks to complete the system

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - installed the 3.5" in the dash and the 6x9" three way's in the rear doors. In the front doors I put the 6x9" two way version because the magnet is slightly smaller. For the front doors I used 1/4" spacers so they didn't hit the window track. Everything went in smoothly. Getting the head unit in a couple weeks to complete the system

So how does it sound?

OP
OP
T

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So how does it sound?

So far so good. Definitely a better high end from the dash speakers. I didn't notice a ton of difference at normal listening level when I put the rear door speakers in. It is just the stock 3.0 stereo, so the input is pretty basic. I just did the front door speakers today, so I need a few drives to play around with the balance and audio settings. The new head unit has a bunch of audio crossover settings to play with, so I'm sure that will keep me busy tinkering with it.

This is the unit I'm getting: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-7-built-in-bluetooth-in-dash-cd-dvd-dm-receiver-black/5715621.p?skuId=5715621