Installing LED Bed lights= Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salmonbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I want to install some bed lights on my 2015 RAM and came across this mopar accessory: Ram 1500 Bed Lights (Part No: 82210928AB)

I do not want to get this kit because I am using some waterproof LED strip lighting I install on boats. But I like the way its hooked up to power.

The ad says its only good for 09-12 trucks. If you look at the instructions, it shows how they get power with some wires under the A pillar which are for the dome light. This route, the bed lights would turn on when you unlock the truck or turn dome light on. I like this Idea. I removed my A pillar and the wiring colors and location that are called out on instructions do not match.

Anyone have any idea on which wires I could tap into now?

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The bed lights that come in the 2016's are tapped into the cargo light. So when the doors unlock, they light up with them, and they can also be turned on with the switch.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bed lights that come in the 2016's are tapped into the cargo light. So when the doors unlock, they light up with them, and they can also be turned on with the switch.

I really like that idea

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think tying into the cargo light would be best so you can use the cab switch to turn them on at will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
tied mine into the cargo light wires (WT/TN - if I remember correctly), under the drivers side rear door sill.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tapped into the cargo light wire for mine. I bet you could tap into the cargo light on the trailer harness and save some wire.

OP
OP
salmonbum

salmonbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tapped into the cargo light wire for mine. I bet you could tap into the cargo light on the trailer harness and save some wire.

I am unaware of a cargo light wire that goes into the 7 way??? I know there is a constant 12v (red), but I want to stay away from using that of at all possible. If a wire comes loose back there and grounds out, you would kill the 12v to trailer when towing (that I need). I have herad the 3rd Gen didn't use fuses, but some type of reset in the computer that required trip to dealer. Guy here at work delt with it a bunch and ended up bypassing the stock wiring and installed is own just for the above reason.

Either way cargo or dome (which they may boh come on when I use the keyFOB) I need to know which wire in under apillar is the correct one to tap. If its true there is a cargo wire anywhere under the bed ot use, can you supply location?

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'm confusing the cargo wire with the reverse wire on the trailer harness as I have tapped into it before, my apologies for the confusion. I tapped into the cargo light wire (WT/TAN) under the drivers side front door sill and went through the E brake grommet and followed stock wiring back and went up behind the taillight and into the bed.

OP
OP
salmonbum

salmonbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm confusing the cargo wire with the reverse wire on the trailer harness as I have tapped into it before, my apologies for the confusion. I tapped into the cargo light wire (WT/TAN) under the drivers side front door sill and went through the E brake grommet and followed stock wiring back and went up behind the taillight and into the bed.

You have a 2103, mine is a 2015. I'm not sure the wiring is the same?

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone figured out what wire to tap into? I also have a 2015 and want to tie the bed lights into the cargo light wire

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone figured out what wire to tap into? I also have a 2015 and want to tie the bed lights into the cargo light wire

what you can do is remove the cargo light assembly and see what color wires are there and which color provides power when lit up using volt meter, then remove the door sill on the driver side rear, its part of the wire harness, tap into it just under the driver side rear passenger sill. you can then run it how you want to the bed.

Luke

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you pull the door sill plate and find the wire harness , grab a test light and poke each wire while turning on and off the cargo light ... when the Test Light fluctuates on and off simultaneously with the switch BINGO you found it .... Option 2 is get a good outdoor switch and mount it under the gunnel of the bed , wire it 12v and your able to operate without getting in your truck..... Option 3 if you have a cap wire it direct with 12 v from Trailer wiring and they sell a switch that mounts to your cap rear glass strut that will allow the lights to turn on and off when you open the rear glass , almost like a factory install ... Worried about leaving the glass open while fishing or loading / unloading , throw a switch in between the power source after the window light switch , now you can leave the glass open and lights will remain off .. Hope this helps

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
When I did this on my truck, I just looked at the switch on the dash and noted the color of the wire. Then went to the passenger rear door, pulled the sill off, found that wire and tapped into it right there.

Was really easy. You can get better lights for 70% less than those Mopar lights. I got mine off of Amazon for $30 for both sides.

stars80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to wire the LED strip lighting in the cargo bed. Wondering how or where you ran the wire to tap into the cargo light wire. Did you come in thru the front fire wall and under the carpet some how. I think the door sill panel just pops off but some of the other panels by the driver front pedals I'm not so sure about. Last thing I'm worried about is drawing to much current from the cargo wire and popping something, There was talk somewhere about the new 2016 trucks detecting to much current being drawn and shutting off the power supply thru the computer. Not sure if that is true?? The draw is about 4.8W/metre, so running about 12 ft of LED lights would be just under 20 watts. Any help would be appreciated..thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Trying to wire the LED strip lighting in the cargo bed.

If your looking to do something like this:
8e10768c3a98ff6dd0a0fa7c63bdea11.jpg
These are waterproof LED light strips with adhesive backing stuck to the underside of the bed rail. I tapped the power from the 7pin trailer harness 12V and have a switch in the bed just for both sides out of harm's way near the tailgate.

savage99ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tapped my led strip light to the 7 pin connector. I think it was the red wire. Continuous power.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this.... didn't want a switch in the cab, going back and forth to turn on and off seemed like a hassel... got a kit with a switch to install in the bed..... wired them directly to the battery. ..simple

Attachments

• 2016-10-30 18.52.18.jpg
    2016-10-30 18.52.18.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 206

d21arren

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019- Rebel
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just did mine over the weekend, 2014 express. The wire that I tapped into was white with a tan stripe and was found under the rear drivers side sill in the wire harness. This is the cargo light wire. I ran my wiring through an existing plastic plug that is under the backseat carpeting and grounded out to the metal in the same location.