Installing LED Bed lights= Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guess I am the first to try something different. I did this over the weekend. I installed a tilt switch into the tailgate. When the tailgate drops, the lights turn on, when the tailgate goes up, the lights turn off.

Everything was wired up at the trailer plug with a relay.

Last edited:

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kit?

Bedledz... it came with a cheap non inclosed fuse, I just replaced that with a inclosed one
Here is a pic of the switch

Attachments

• 2016-11-16 05.59.40.jpg
    2016-11-16 05.59.40.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

kylekap19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a few reasons, I wired mine to a separate switch in the cab.

I liked the idea of turning them on and off at will and it was easier and cleaner to do with no splicing or tapping. The only thing I wish I did was to install a switch in the bed too, so that when I'm accessing it, I can turn them on or off from there too, instead of going back to the cab.

20160921_191337.jpg

20160921_171607.jpg

mitchmosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use a Relay for more options?

I guess I have to complicate things...

I am planning to splice into the Cargo Lamp AND add a switch at the back using a SPDT Relay. This way I get the Key Fob, Cargo Lamp switch, and tailgate switch options. I am NOT an electrician but I have friends, YouTube, and all of you to get me through this!

Here's my crazy idea...
1) I'll be looking for that WT/Tan to splice into [87a common/default].
2) Run a 16 AWG fused at the battery to the switch at the tail gate.
3) Split from the switch to operate the relay coil [85] AND power IN to relay[87].
4) Power the Lights from [30].
5) Ground the Relay[86] and the lights.

All comments and insults are welcome, but be warned, I have a truck and I'm learning to use it ;)

Attachments

• LED Diagram.jpg
    LED Diagram.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 168

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I am planning to splice into the Cargo Lamp AND add a switch at the back using a SPDT Relay. This way I get the Key Fob, Cargo Lamp switch, and tailgate switch options. I am NOT an electrician but I have friends, YouTube, and all of you to get me through this!

Here's my crazy idea...
3) Split from the switch to operate the relay coil [85] AND power IN to relay[87].

All comments and insults are welcome, but be warned, I have a truck and I'm learning to use it ;)

Good setup and very secure with fuse and bosh relay. Keep me in touch! I would install also and you are a very good idea

J-F

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
After reading all this I have but one question. How did you guys run the wire from your cab to the bed? Got any photos?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L

Another option to consider is installing one of these behind your bumper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EA6WQU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used one of these adapters to hook up my LED tailgate bar, then spliced into it when installing my LED bed lights.

It's an adapter that plugs in-line with your factory wiring and can be removed easily. With the 7 pin trailer harness, you already have a constant 12v and ground you can tap into without having to run wires back to the cab / under the hood.

Just one suggestion....

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don't have any pictures for you but when I ran my wires into my 3rd gen cab I slid it in with the emergency brake line. It was a tight fit but all you need is some 28 gauge wire. LEDs don't need fat wires. I have seen others go through the firewall in front of the brake pedal too. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I don't have any pictures for you but when I ran my wires into my 3rd gen cab I slid it in with the emergency brake line. It was a tight fit but all you need is some 28 gauge wire. LEDs don't need fat wires. I have seen others go through the firewall in front of the brake pedal too. Hope this helps.

It's a start. Thank you

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a start. Thank you

No worries glad to help. I have 3 28 gauge wires going through that same whole. No water leaks yet

runningwater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel

Here's my crazy idea...

How did this go? This is exactly what I'd like to do as well. (Would love a tutorial or video if you have one)

I've got my lights just need to get them installed!

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did this go? This is exactly what I'd like to do as well. (Would love a tutorial or video if you have one)

I've got my lights just need to get them installed!

Me also, i would information for installing same kit

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here's my crazy idea...

Hi, do you have an update on your good installation?
regards
j-f