Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Mikepelchy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am working on adding a tailgate/backup camera to a 2014 Ram 2500 and I have most of the wiring figured out as I just need to add that run control wire from the chassis connector behind the DS front wheel to the PDC which should be easy enough. Since the Mopar kit has been discontinued, I have been piecing everything together myself.

I am however wondering on the display side of things. I recently swapped out the RA3 for an RA4 and immediately after I enabled the camera options using AlfaOBD and I had the option for backup camera and cargo camera and everything appeared to working (including being trigged by reverse) properly except it would not play music off the USB ports but it would acknowledge that there was something plugged in. I upgraded the radio from 18.13.17 to 18.45.17 and I lost the camera options. I did try turning them off and back on and I have since got the buttons for cargo camera and backup camera back but only the button for the cargo camera works, when I push on the backup camera button nothing happens. Prior to the FW update I would get a blue screen with soft keys at the top for backup and cargo cameras and I could switch between the two blue screens but one screen would give a warning. Is this just a matter of waiting for the radio to fully sync back up with the truck or did I maybe miss something that prevents the BU cam app from opening? I was thinking about trying to do the run control wire tonight after work and figured I could disconnect the batteries while I messing with that to see if that might help the process along.

PXL_20231023_010759604.jpg

RZomerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 model with a backup camera display in the mirror but also have an after market radio that provides an auxiliary backup camera input.. would it be possible to split / connect the orginal camera signal (and activation) and connect it to my Sony XAV-AX8000?