Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'll be looking in later , now I've gotta mow the yard

Thanks Mpgrimm2! !
Hopefully we can get more feedback from ticketboy to help him.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully we can get more feedback from ticketboy to help him.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.
He must be troubleshooting? I hope he figures it out , I'm sure it's something simple and he will be another success story !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read through this thread and can not find the answer to my unique situation. I have a 2013 express with the RA1 radio. I upgraded to the RA2 radio which was pulled from a family members truck that currently had a backup camera installed. I installed the RA2 radio and backup camera kit 82214240. All of the settings for the backup camera are currently on the RA2 radio. I currently get a blue screen when placing the gear in reverse. NOTE: I have not had the dealer flash my truck for backup camera. My question is, Do I still need to get the flash from the dealer in order for the camera to work? Or is it that my wiring is not correct?
Does your tailgate lock still work with your fob ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still mowing, just thinking?

ticketboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, tailgate lock works with fob.

I will try and troubleshoot in a few days.

Qutoe from Mpgrimm2 "If you have the blue screen when in Reverse that says "Check Entire Surroundings" or similar, then the flash magically came over with the radio. Who knew? "

Yes it does say "Check Entire Surroundings". I have NOT gone to the dealer for the flash.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ ticketboy :

I will be assuming the OEM kits harnesses are correct .

I'm going off memory here so I may not say everything exact ...

1) You have the blue screen in reverse .

Therefore as Mpgrimm2 said you do not require the dealer flash code ( XAC ) @ This time .

2) You have Parkview safety settings.

Option to turn on/off backup cam .
Option to turn on/off Active Grid lines
Option = ? ? Can't remember? Maybe one more about time in seconds /mph speed ? Anyways .

If the above is happening and your tailgate lock is working , then sir there's only FIVE things it can be .

The purple wire you spliced to the BCM(Body Control Module ) C-5 Connector @ socket #45 is NOT the problem !

This wire only gives you Active Grid Lines / the camrea will work fine w/o this wire even connected .

The Yellow wire is not used . It should be taped back out of the way .

The FIVE THINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS :

STEP #1
Diconnect the Battery Ground Wire !

#1)
The ground near the power distribution center = make sure it's a good ground with a multimeter,

should be less than .04 ohms to another nonpainted known ground .

If not remove paint at its location by burnishing or sanding to bare metal .

XXXXX. Remember I'm going off memory of about 3 months here ...XXXX

#2)
The power wire spliced to the pink ( Maybe pink & yellow , cant remember. ) wire going to the Parkview 10 amp fuse =

make sure with a multimeter this wire has continuity to the Parkview fuse socket . If not , with your meter , find the correct wire that does go to the Parkview 10 amp fuse and splice to it !

Your wire color may be different / wire
colors could change , but yours ( 2013) should be like the instructions say , because this was written for the 2013 + models ...

#3)
Make sure you actually have a 10 amp fuse installed in the indicated location for Parkview ( reference the PDC / Power Distribution Centers ) Lid schematics for location details .

Next MAKE SURE THE FUSE IS GOOD ! With your multimeter = 0.0 ohms from one leg to the other while the fuse is removed .
This has been a problem for some .

#4)
The connector from the kit You populated with the wires from the main body harness =
Make sure the wires you populated ( grey / blue , grey /orange & bare shield ) are in line with and connected to the same color wires on the kits supplied RADIO harness .

The other wires in the connector you populated do not matter , you could actually cut them off , they are not used for a radio video display , they are used for a mirror video display ...

#5)
The wires @ the Radios C-1 connector for sockets # 31,32 & 33 , this is confusing on the diagram supplied with the instructions with the OEM Kit .

For clarification = look @ the back of the Radios male pins , pin #31 is clearly identified , [ I did this to make sure I was populating the Radios C-1 connector properly ]

If you go through the above list and you still have a Blue screen while in reverse then you must assume one of the OEM KITS HARNESSES are incorrect from one end to the other .
If this is the case then with your multimeter simply ring each individual wire in each of the FOUR supplied harnesses until you locate the issue .

If you find a bad harness , either correct it yourself or get your OEM KITS Supplier to replace it .
Remember the people who build these harnesses are human and can make mistakes !

Hope this helps you Sir !

Last edited:

ticketboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@ ticketboy :

I will be assuming the OEM kits harnesses are correct .

I'm going off memory here so I may not say everything exact ...

1) You have the blue screen in reverse .

Therefore as Mpgrimm2 said you do not require the dealer flash code ( XAC ) @ This time .

2) You have Parkview safety settings.

Option to turn on/off backup cam .
Option to turn on/off Active Grid lines
Option = ? ? Can't remember? Maybe one more about time in seconds /mph speed ? Anyways .

If the above is happening and your tailgate lock is working , then sir there's only FIVE things it can be .

The purple wire you spliced to the BCM(Body Control Module ) C-5 Connector @ socket #45 is NOT the problem !

This wire only gives you Active Grid Lines / the camrea will work fine w/o this wire even connected .

The Yellow wire is not used . It should be taped back out of the way .

The FIVE THINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS :

STEP #1
Diconnect the Battery Ground Wire !

#1)
The ground near the power distribution center = make sure it's a good ground with a multimeter,

should be less than .04 ohms to another nonpainted known ground .

If not remove paint at its location by burnishing or sanding to bare metal .

XXXXX. Remember I'm going off memory of about 3 months here ...XXXX

#2)
The power wire spliced to the pink ( Maybe pink & yellow , cant remember. ) wire going to the Parkview 10 amp fuse =

make sure with a multimeter this wire has continuity to the Parkview fuse socket . If not , with your meter , find the correct wire that does go to the Parkview 10 amp fuse and splice to it !

Your wire color may be different / wire
colors could change , but yours ( 2013) should be like the instructions say , because this was written for the 2013 + models ...

#3)
Make sure you actually have a 10 amp fuse installed in the indicated location for Parkview ( reference the PDC / Power Distribution Centers ) Lid schematics for location details .

Next MAKE SURE THE FUSE IS GOOD ! With your multimeter = 0.0 ohms from one leg to the other while the fuse is removed .
This has been a problem for some .

#4)
The connector from the kit You populated with the wires from the main body harness =
Make sure the wires you populated ( grey / blue , grey /orange & bare shield ) are in line with and connected to the same color wires on the kits supplied RADIO harness .

The other wires in the connector you populated do not matter , you could actually cut them off , they are not used for a radio video display , they are used for a mirror video display ...

#5)
The wires @ the Radios C-1 connector for sockets # 31,32 & 33 , this is confusing on the diagram supplied with the instructions with the OEM Kit .

For clarification = look @ the back of the Radios male pins , pin #31 is clearly identified , [ I did this to make sure I was populating the Radios C-1 connector properly ]

If you go through the above list and you still have a Blue screen while in reverse then you must assume one of the OEM KITS HARNESSES are incorrect from one end to the other .
If this is the case then with your multimeter simply ring each individual wire in each of the FOUR supplied harnesses until you locate the issue .

If you find a bad harness , either correct it yourself or get your OEM KITS Supplier to replace it .
Remember the people who build these harnesses are human and can make mistakes !

Hope this helps you Sir !

After looking over all the wiring it seems that I messed up the wiring of #4 on the troubleshooting list. Do you have any tips on how to separate the connector? Press the top white button and pull? I can not seem to get the connector apart to redo the wiring.

Thanks for all your help!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The lock tang on the top of the connector , black locked over the white portion , lift the black tang with a flat tip screwdriver and separate .
Using a super tiny jewelers flat tip or maybe a pick / Scribe , you can release the small metal lock tang on the sockets (on the top , I think ) you populated .
While pulling with light pressure on the wire from the back and releasing the lock tang from the front or face of the connector the wire will pull right out the backside.

See the black loop over the white portion . Slightly lift the black loop .

9b748bfa1f7d23b4449e797ca6c0584f.jpg

3d3416bf9f238602e010c67d5fdffdaa.jpg

08df8b781057ebceafa2ab8545bbaeb8.jpg

Hope this helps ! Please post your results of your screen with pictures!

Last edited:

ticketboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Repined out the connector under the steering wheel and the camera is now black and white and scrambled. Any suggestions? The assist lines are white also.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Repined out the connector under the steering wheel and the camera is now black and white and scrambled. Any suggestions? The assist lines are white also.
Verry Strang !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mpgrimm2 ? Any thoughts Sir ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Captwing any thoughts Sir ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Indaram, any thoughts on this Sir ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm @ a lost here !
My cam is always in Color ...
And my.grid lines have always been green red & yellow !

It is strange to me that you got the blue screen , w/o a previous dealer flash of XAC. ?

ticketboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the same wrong pin out under the steering wheel as gjimenez. He said around post #394 that he took his to the dealer and they told him it was the yellow wire under the steering wheel. I was very careful when removing the wires to re pin the connector under the steering wheel. The connectors did not get messed up.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The yellow wire " to my memory knowledge is not used for a radio display ."

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW .. ( ME & MY.Personal experience ONLY )

MOST , NOT ALL , BUT MOST DEALERSHIP Mechanics are 20 -.25 yrs.old and are IDIOTS ! )

My experience. ...

Some.are very impressive, and very good @.what they do.

ticketboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post #174 picture is how my camera looks.

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to apologize ahead of time as I'm sure that this answer is somewhere in the 50 pages of this thread. There is so much information here it's a little overwhelming, and I can't seem to find this...

What would be the easiest way to tell if my truck is already pre-wired for the backup camera? I checked the connector at the tailgate and I have 8 wires running into the tailgate, I know 2 are for the locking mechanism and the rest are for the camera. Is it safe to assume the truck is wired for the camera the entire length right to the radio or not? Not that I think it matters but it's a 2015 Sport with the 8.4A radio.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to apologize ahead of time as I'm sure that this answer is somewhere in the 50 pages of this thread. There is so much information here it's a little overwhelming, and I can't seem to find this...

What would be the easiest way to tell if my truck is already pre-wired for the backup camera? I checked the connector at the tailgate and I have 8 wires running into the tailgate, I know 2 are for the locking mechanism and the rest are for the camera. Is it safe to assume the truck is wired for the camera the entire length right to the radio or not? Not that I think it matters but it's a 2015 Sport with the 8.4A radio.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
The harness Going to the tailgate from the main truck harness has 8 wires ?