Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not sure if I posted this already for Kt ...

Is the orange/DB wire supposed to be in another pin already or should it already be with pin 45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Is the orange/DB wire supposed to be in another pin already or should it already be with pin 45

There may likely be a org/db wire already in pin 45 (partial factory wiring for camera).

The instructions state to insert the purple wire into the BCM C-5 connector at socket #45,
it also states if this socket is already populated to solder splice the purple wire into the Orange / Dark Blue wire ....

... but all the ones I've done there was already an Or/DB wire @ socket #45 of the BCM C-5 connector.

... but I've always had to splice the purple to the OR/DB wire .
Weird. Looking at my previous post and I can't see the pictures of the bcm and c5 connector via Tapatalk.
Trying again here (had to use mobile browser and take a screenshot)...
9c9704c1dcd37dc88d781789e8fbdf8a.jpg

cfe382f48b59cbda85daab98c112e29c.jpg

Ps: I don't know if that connector view in the instructions is from the front or back? There are tiny pin numbers embossed on the back at certain pins/rows.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does this cover come off some how? It's blocking me from looking at the pins
4d73b5d0efcbb13349f4e86e20fa1a4b.jpg

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
There may likely be a org/db wire already in pin 45 (partial factory wiring for camera).

Weird. Looking at my previous post and I can't see the pictures of the bcm and c5 connector via Tapatalk.
Trying again here (had to use mobile browser and take a screenshot)...
9c9704c1dcd37dc88d781789e8fbdf8a.jpg

cfe382f48b59cbda85daab98c112e29c.jpg

Ps: I don't know if that connector view in the instructions is from the front or back? There are tiny pin numbers embossed on the back at certain pins/rows.

Alright so I got the covers off and the purple wire appears to be in the 45 spot but the org/DB is definitely not, just checking before I remove this wire, the orange/DB one NEEDS to be paired with the purple at 45 correct?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright so I got the covers off and the purple wire appears to be in the 45 spot but the org/DB is definitely not, just checking before I remove this wire, the orange/DB one NEEDS to be paired with the purple at 45 correct?

Got any pictures you can post?

Pm me you phone number and I will call you.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Actually scratch that, the orange and blue is in 45, the purple is in 28, so what is your suggestion for depopulating....

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Actually scratch that, the orange and blue is in 45, the purple is in 28, so what is your suggestion for depopulating....

Are you 100% positive about the purple wire being in pin 28?

If so, hmm...

- If you have good enough access and some patience, you can take the connector apart to depopulate pin 28.
Generally, there will be some sort of TPA lock (terminal pin assurance) on the front that will need release or removed, then a small screw driver inserted to release the pin's lock to pull the pin out the back (I haven't messed with this connector before but other have).

- 109% sure? Really sure? Cut the the wire off and use a scotch lock to splice it over to org/db wire at pin 45.
(Leave a 2" lead off the cut pin just in case and heat shrink or take it up)
Soldering is the preferred method as mentioned.

- Take it back to the dealer that effed up the install to fix that pin 28/45 issue. That way if there are any other weird electrical/BCM problems later you can blame them. Get pictures of the connector/their error.

Edit: post 10 may have a link to some pictures of people doing the depopulating.

Edit 2: Nickster did it. Start at this post for pictures and possibly pm him (but he hasn't posted in a year) ...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=979047

Last edited:

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are you 100% positive about the purple wire being in pin 28?

If so, hmm...

- If you have good enough access and some patience, you can take the connector apart to depopulate pin 28.
Generally, there will be some sort of TPA lock (terminal pin assurance) on the front that will need release or removed, then a small screw driver inserted to release the pin's lock to pull the pin out the back (I haven't messed with this connector before but other have).

- 109% sure? Really sure? Cut the the wire off and use a scotch lock to splice it over to org/db wire at pin 45.
(Leave a 2" lead off the cut pin just in case and heat shrink or take it up)
Soldering is the preferred method as mentioned.

- Take it back to the dealer that effed up the install to fix that pin 28/45 issue. That way if there are any other weird electrical/BCM problems later you can blame them. Get pictures of the connector/their error.

Edit: post 10 may have a link to some pictures of people doing the depopulating.

Edit 2: Nickster did it. Start at this post for pictures and possibly pm him (but he hasn't posted in a year) ...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=979047

I'm in business with lines! The only thing I still don't have is the ability to turn them on and off, re-flash maybe? RE-update?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow ,just got home from work , Damn , I've missed sooooo much !
Mpgrimm2 is spot on with everything he has said ! I agree 100%

@ Ktstull , if your gonna repair this yourself , disconnect the BCM C-5 remove the tape / wrap around the wire bundle to help flex it down for better access then as mpg suggested either depopulate the purple wire from the improper socket #28 or cut off a few inches so it can be attached to the OR/DB Wire in the proper socket #45 ( preferably via a good solder splice covered by quality heatshrink originally supplied in the kit )

UNBELIEVABLE ANOTHER SIMPLE TO INSTALL OEM KIT EPICALLY SCREWED UP BY A DEALER TECH ! !

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I just can't imagine why a dealership tech would just BLINDLY STAB the purple wire in some anonymous empty #28 location when the instructions clearly state what to do with the purple wire ?
The techs obviously read the instructions ( for the most part) because everything else worked .

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm in business with lines! The only thing I still don't have is the ability to turn them on and off, re-flash maybe? RE-update?

Yeah sw re-update or possible give it a few on/off cycles.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Kt,
Did you depopulate or cut/resplice it?

Which dealership installed it originally?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! Gotta know what you did

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@Kt,
Did you depopulate or cut/resplice it?

Which dealership installed it originally?

I depopulated both and then spliced the orange to the purple because I had a lot of extra purple wire. Taped it all and put it all back!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I depopulated both and then spliced the orange to the purple because I had a lot of extra purple wire. Taped it all and put it all back!

It would be great if you could write something for me to link/reference for depopulating that connector. Wish there were pictures of it too.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Did you happen to look at the BCM Side of the C-5 (E) Connector to see if there was a pin #28 or was it empty ?

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It would be great if you could write something for me to link/reference for depopulating that connector. Wish there were pictures of it too.

I actually just used a knife and carefully slid the wires up.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Alright, so I updated again and still no option to turn active guidelines on and off, I have them and they work, I just can't turn them off. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is take it to a dealership and have it reflashed [emoji19] unless someone has another idea.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, so I updated again and still no option to turn active guidelines on and off, I have them and they work, I just can't turn them off. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is take it to a dealership and have it reflashed [emoji19] unless someone has another idea.

If you mean reflash the XAC Sales code , that has nothing to do with grid lines at all .
To my knowledge the gridlines options are just in the radio or not .

What Parkview settings do you have ?
What year is your RA4 radio ?
Is your radio a factory install ?
RA4A (NON NAV)or RA4AN (NAV)