Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There are eight wires which pin into the connector at the tailgate cavaties 1 thru 6 are for the backup
Camera, pins 7 and 8 are for the locking tailgate. I believe pin 3 circuit Z914 is used as a common ground for both.

PIN CIRCUIT WIRE COLOR GAUGE FUNCTION
1 X970 DG/BR 0.5 CAMERA SIGNAL
2 D403 OR/DB 0.35 LIN BUS CBC 3
3 Z914 BK 0.8 GROUND
4 X971 DG/OR 0.5 CAMERA RETURN
5 X972 BK 0.5 CAMERA SHIELD
6 F923 PK/YL 0.35 RUN RELAY CONTROL
7 P237 DG/TN 0.8 SECONDARY UNLOCK DRIVER
8 P235 LG/TN 0.8 SECONDARY LOCK DRIVER

Last edited:

BADUBET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't figure why mine would have 5-6 wires. You'd think it would just have 2 for the lock or all eight. Thanks for the answer

cqt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, cptwing, if I have the 6 wire connector in the tailgate but the truck side only has 2 wires, is it safe to assume that I don't have the rest of the factory wiring for the cam? Or is the short section of the wire harness that connects from spare to read of truck replaced?

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You run the main harness after you ground it and attach for power in the fuse box through either the clutch plate or nipple. You run 1 wire to The BCM so the lines move, and the other 3 cables that have crimped connectors go into the plug they give you. I just zip tied it under the driver footwell. You run the other short harness from the connector to the back of the radio, where there are 3 pins you insert into the main connector for the radio. For the tailgate pins I used a small screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the part about running it through the fuse box and connecting the 1 wire to the BCM for the lines.

However after I insert the 3 cables into the plug they gave me, does that plug just stay disconnected???? What do I plug into?

I understand where the 3 loose wires in the radio connector go (on the back of the radio plug) but once again where does the other plastic harness end go?

If it's suppose to plug into the loose connector they gave me, it will never happen as it's 2 different connectors is my point.

That's where I'm lost.

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, cptwing, if I have the 6 wire connector in the tailgate but the truck side only has 2 wires, is it safe to assume that I don't have the rest of the factory wiring for the cam? Or is the short section of the wire harness that connects from spare to read of truck replaced?

I can answer for him, if you only have 2 wires in the portion from the spare forward you only have the locking tailgate.

The section inside the tailgate from the spare to the rear does in fact get replaced when you buy the kit.

cqt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rats! I was hoping I'd be ok. Guess I'll have to run it all. I'm going to wait and see how the pin/ connector identification goes so I don't have to splice

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if anyone cares or not, but I got an update.

I stopped by the local dealer to ask for help since I was at a loss. A tech came out and helped me out greatly.

Long story short, Tasca sent me the wrong plastic adapter to plug the wires in. They do in fact connect together, so I was right but the wrong parts made me second guess myself.

I'm hoping to button this up this weekend and will update with results. I wish I'd have taken more pictures, but I still may to help you all out if anyone cares.

He also gave me some feedback on how to remove pins easier that I'm going to try and see if it works.

tucndubz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wtb

Hello, This is my first post/reply. I want to say thank you to everyone that contributes to these, the information available here is an amazing resource. I have read this thread from front to back, and I am going to be attempting this install.
I have already installed the Camera, Handle and tailgate harness, as well had the XAC flash completed. I currently have the blue screen, and I know it is because I do not have the Factory Body harness. I acquired the Camera by buying is separately, thinking I could simply plug in play. It wasn't until I started doing my research that I found my body harness only has the 2 locking wires, not the full 8 wires. So, Now I have purchased the handle, and camera, but not the Kit # 82214240. So, I find myself needing the body wire harness.

My questions is, has anyone purchased Kit # 82214240, and been lucky enough to only need to use the Tailgate components. I need to buy someone's leftover Body Harness and Radio harness to complete my install, and I don't want to spend the money on the full kit since I already bought the camera and handle. I contacted my local dealer to attempt to buy the part separately, but the only number I have been able to find was provided from this tread, Part # 68209529AB, but this number is "no good" per the dealer. They said this part number is not available, I guess it ONLY comes in the kit...? I can buy the radio harness, Part # 6889122AB for only $6.50 from the dealer, but I can't seam to get the body harness.

Can anyone help!?!?

Thanks in advanced,
Justin

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@ Silver2013,

Since you have an 8.4A (RA3/VP3) radio, you will likely need kit PN 82214240
From what I saw initially in your other post, you don't have the 3 camera wires at the back of the radio or the 6 chassis wires at the i550 Tailgate connector going forward to the cab and likely need the full Ram OEM kit. Look for harness p/n's inside the tailgate. My 2013 SLT was missing the wires from the i550 Tailgate connector to the back of the radio.
Note: I didn't install the OEM Kit, I used a custom harness made by Jeepguy1980 that you can't get anymore (he passed away).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some links I suggest you to take a look at:

Post 01 - Cptwing's OP: Check the harness p/n's in your tailgate against his list from the kit. Anything from the OEM Kit that matches won't need to be installed, lucky you.
(pictures of the various vehicle side tailgate, radio, and chassis connector pins from your truck will also help check. See old thread post 403.)

Post 10 - My post with links to the 2 Ram OEM Camera kits P/N's and the Official Kit directions to review before ordering. Kit Cost vs Dealer Installed Cost are listed from my dealership. Most people will only want the kit that uses the Radio's display for the camera.
>>> I have also added a schematic to use with the RA2, RA3, RA4 Camera Add-On Kit from RAM <<<

* * 70chall440's Posts (12 - 63) - Keep an eye out for his posts, they were very detailed, include pictures, and he went through the entire kit's directions to do it. * *

Old Thread Post 403 - My original post with links to the 2013 factory camera schematic and labeled connector pictures for it. This was only for Jeepguy's custom harness (I re-hosted his pdf directions as well), but you will still deal with the i550 (tailgate) and C1 (Radio) connectors with the new OEM kits and may still want to reference it. The 2 Ram OEM Camera kits P/N's and the Official Kit directions are also re-listed here as a reference.

Post 14 - Explanation of difference in Ram OEM Camera Kits vs JeepGuy's Custom Harness from Old thread. I also have a link to a 2014 Ram 2500 Factory Schematic with both Rear Cam & CHMSL Cargo Cam listed there as a reference.

Post 25 - Additional pictures of the i550 Tailgate connector and the i550 Wearout Extension Cable that may be installed on some vehicles (i.e. 2500's & up?)

Post 26 - Detailed picture of the back of the Radio connector for identifying the correct pin locations for the rear camera (Primary Camera input. There are actually inputs for 3 cameras).

Post 51 - Some basic details about the 3 Cameras/Input pins on the 8.4 (RA3/Ra4) Radios for use with the "Lockpick" or the "Customtronix Jailbreak" software.

Post 82 - Cptwing's post listing the 8 pins in the i550 Tailgate connector.

Other References (from around here/found by others):
- Chrysler TechAuthority Website: To look up schematics for your vehicle, by Vin or general model. Not always specific enough; a lot of this stuff was figured out by others comparing schematics b/w different trim levels/Vins.

NOTE:
For those of you considering this, please look through the posts I listed and the OEM Kit Directions since it took a considerable amount of time to go back and find them and host the files.

Last edited:

butcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info...

Great info in this thread!

I'm in the middle of installing one of the backup camera with rearview camera moinitors into my 2014 Ram 1500. (base base model truck with air only and 8 speed transmission)

I have installed the following..

1-Installed mirror with wiring to under console by steering wheel.
2-Installed camera on tail gate(do not have electric lock)
3-Installed wiring front to back and through firewall.
4-Installed + and - wire to under PWC in engine compartment

Last step is installing the two wires to the BCM,

A couple of Questions....

1- Are both wires required to trigger the backup camera to work or is one of them for the electric lock at the rear? If so which one is which?

2- Is the wire that comes from the BCM a positive feed with 12V's...The reason I ask this is...I would like to install a three way switch that I can throw to turn on the back up camera when I am not backing up. If I am towing something. I would install a 12v lead directly from a switched source and have it that I can run it like regular with the backup coming on when it's in reverse and then a three way switch in case I wanted to over ride the power and have it running all the time. (making sure that I don't back feed the wire with the proper switch)

Thanks for any input.

jarodm06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can answer for him, if you only have 2 wires in the portion from the spare forward you only have the locking tailgate.

The section inside the tailgate from the spare to the rear does in fact get replaced when you buy the kit.

So this is the situation that I have going on. Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the harnesses that I need? I have been reading up on this for a couple days and I am confused as to what all I need to complete the project. I have the camera and handle with the camera harness but the harness in the tailgate only has 6 wires and the harness after the tailgate going to the front of the truck only has 2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
You cannot purchase just the harness that goes from the tailgate connector and runs under the truck. Only available as the full package.

jarodm06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You cannot purchase just the harness that goes from the tailgate connector and runs under the truck. Only available as the full package.

Well that sucks! what about the harness inside the tailgate. Mine only has 6 wires. I know 2 are for the lock actuator so is there only 4 for the camera or do I need a new harness there as well?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
The package consists of the camera and handle, tailgate wiring harness, body harness and radio harness. The tailgate harness can be purchased separate, but you will need the body harness.

jarodm06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The package consists of the camera and handle, tailgate wiring harness, body harness and radio harness. The tailgate harness can be purchased separate, but you will need the body harness.

Thanks for the help. I guess I will just order the kit. To be clear I need PN# 82214240 correct?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you have the RA2 or higher radio that is the correct kit. See post 10.

mefferz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm currently in the process of installing the OEM kit. How in the hell do you depopulate the 2 terminals for the locking tailgate from the existing harness? I've tried a paperclip from the front in the round holes and that works fine for removing the plastic plugs, but not removing the actual wire terminal. I also tried a Lisle 57780 terminal tool with no success. I've spent an hour jamming things in random holes hoping something would happen...makes me feel like a teenager again...

mefferz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm currently in the process of installing the OEM kit. How in the hell do you depopulate the 2 terminals for the locking tailgate from the existing harness? I've tried a paperclip from the front in the round holes and that works fine for removing the plastic plugs, but not removing the actual wire terminal. I also tried a Lisle 57780 terminal tool with no success. I've spent an hour jamming things in random holes hoping something would happen...makes me feel like a teenager again...

Oh geez...I figured it out 5 minutes after posting this. I was about to take a damn dremel to the connector to split it open but then decided to try a needle nose pliers on the white frame of the inside of the plug. It pops out exposing the retaining clip against the wire terminal. I used a flat prong on the Lisle 57780 tool to release it, though a very small flat head screw driver would work too. Very simple once you figure it out. :baby:

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh geez...I figured it out 5 minutes after posting this. I was about to take a damn dremel to the connector to split it open but then decided to try a needle nose pliers on the white frame of the inside of the plug. It pops out exposing the retaining clip against the wire terminal. I used a flat prong on the Lisle 57780 tool to release it, though a very small flat head screw driver would work too. Very simple once you figure it out. :baby:

Thanks for the post. I'm getting ready to do this and wondered about "depopulating".