Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok here is an update. I was able to re do the wires and I have it exactly as yours. Mines were wrong, however, now that I have fixed this I still get the blue screen. Maybe I miswired back at the tailgate. Do you have pictures similar to what you sent me for the tailgate? What is the easiest way to check the wire without taking the tailgate off?

Again, I'm very certain that the 3 wires behind the radio are done correctly. I've also checked the wire that went to the pdc, and that one seems to be the right one as well. Thanks again
My harness was complete @ the tailgate , I only had to install my two tailgate lock wires ( dark green / tan in socket 7 , light green / tan in socket 8 ) if your tailgate lock works then you did this right !
Hope these pics help !

0efb167e72cdbcf1006085dbe90d517c.jpg4c021561a5ea9bdd474d292bc5e3026d.jpg3e1fac71fb47e6f7512787a86dfa27ab.jpgefbb1024118ddbeae645b0fc3f6c5101.jpga0f6f65c326fe2f047f9aebe9501574a.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you flashed XAC CODE @ your dealer ? If so have them do it again , I've heard people say it's taken up to 3 times to get it to stick !
Make sure the do the whole process with validation !

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes. Had it flashed before I tried the install. The tailgate harness looks just like yours. Off to the stealership I go...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. Had it flashed before I tried the install. The tailgate harness looks just like yours. Off to the stealership I go...
Let me know how it turns out , you got socket 45 @ the BCM C5 connector spliced in right ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ok here is an update. I was able to re do the wires and I have it exactly as yours. Mines were wrong, however, now that I have fixed this I still get the blue screen. Maybe I miswired back at the tailgate. Do you have pictures similar to what you sent me for the tailgate? What is the easiest way to check the wire without taking the tailgate off?

Again, I'm very certain that the 3 wires behind the radio are done correctly. I've also checked the wire that went to the pdc, and that one seems to be the right one as well. Thanks again

@gj,

Just so you know, if you look very closely, you should see embossed/raised letters on the connectors indicating the pin numbers/letters on most connectors (it may only be the 1st and last pins though, i.e. A & F, or 1 &10). If you made the mistakes you did, you should double check ALL your wires and pins very closely to be absolutely 100% certain you have done pinned all connections correctly. Depending on how bad you miswired things, its possible you may have hooked 12v to a video input, or shorted a different signal to ground previously and damaged something that will need replacing. Lets hope not and that it is simply a wiring issue.

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Ok the purple wire is wired correctly. I know this for a fact because at times when the screen would look blurry, you could see the gridlines and they worked when I would turn the steering wheel.

Based on everything, I checked the tailgate and the pdc and the back of the radio, I have only mis wired the connector under t steering wheel that rlk helped me with.

What about the connector that goes inside the tailgate? Like right after the camera? Is there something there I should check?

Last question, if everything is wired correctly and there is something that needs t be replaced, will the factory warranty cover it? Should I simply go in there and say my rear camera doesn't work and tell them it was installed by the dealer? Would they have that info in their system?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@RLK,
Thanks for the pictures. I now have more questions.

Q1: Are there only the 3 wires coming out of the kit's new 'Radio Harness B' connector under the footwell going to the radio?
- Are they: Gry/BLU (A), Gry/Org (D), Bare (E) ?

Q2: Can you identify all the colors at the i550 Tailgate connector and pins in your picture for me?

Q3: I don't see a RED wire (lands to 12v at the PDC), a Black wire (lands to ground lug next to PDC), or a PURPLE wire (lands to Lin Bus CBC3 at BCM C5-45) in any pictures or at the new 'Body Harness A' connector at the footwell.
- Are these wires part of 'Body Harness A'?
- Do they break out separately from 'Body Harness A' before the new Cab connector?
- Is there an intermediate connector for 'Body Harness A' that isn't shown in the directions?

Thanks again.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What about the connector that goes inside the tailgate? Like right after the camera? Is there something there I should check?
- If I am correct, those harnesses inside the tailgate should all be direct plug and play replacements using the new items from the kit and I would doubt there is anything there that needs to be done beyond getting the connectors seated properly.

Last question, if everything is wired correctly and there is something that needs t be replaced, will the factory warranty cover it? Should I simply go in there and say my rear camera doesn't work and tell them it was installed by the dealer? Would they have that info in their system?
- Not sure where you got the kit, but the dealers will know they didn't install it, but any defective OEM parts should be covered under the OEM warranty since it is an official RAM kit.

What are your current symptoms?

Gotta run out real quick. I will check back in a bit.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok the purple wire is wired correctly. I know this for a fact because at times when the screen would look blurry, you could see the gridlines and they worked when I would turn the steering wheel.

Based on everything, I checked the tailgate and the pdc and the back of the radio, I have only mis wired the connector under t steering wheel that rlk helped me with.

If your camera was blury with grid lines before , I would think you have a camera issue , especially now since your only getting a blue screen . With that said I would look @ the camera and it's harness for any defects or moisture / corrosion prior to going to the dealer.

I know when they flashed my XAC code part of the process was the dealer accepting liability for the kit install and ensuring it would be covered under warranty. Even though they did not install it ?? I think that's odd but good for us ! Yippee! However I certinly would NOT act like a dealer did the install , not sure but they may be able to tell ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If your camera was blury with grid lines before , I would think you have a camera issue , especially now since your only getting a blue screen . With that said I would look @ the camera and it's harness for any defects or moisture / corrosion prior to going to the dealer.
I was wondering if the CAM Signal and CAM Signal RTN wires were swapped somewhere like the back of the radio.

Attachments

• Official backup Cam Addon kit 82214240 Radio Pins.jpg
    Official backup Cam Addon kit 82214240 Radio Pins.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I will take the radio off in a bit and just re-re- check those connections. I will also double check for any leakage in the camera area. Thanks for the tips

Note* the blurry images only came on once and while, not that often but I was able to see through the bluriness. Now it is just the blue Screen

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please check my pictures. Did I do it backwards?
Question , is this how you wer wired before when you wer getting a blury mosaic screen with lines and also a blue screen most of the time ? If so I'm a bit suprized you had anything but a blue screen ??

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering if the CAM Signal and CAM Signal RTN wires were swapped somewhere like the back of the radio.
It may be an improperly pined radio harness from the kit itself , based on the photo of his connector that was wired opposite of mine the only wire in the correct location was the center green wire , with only three wires going to the radio : camera signal , camera return and a shield wire , I'm suprized he had anything but a blue screen ??

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes, I was extremely shocked that after a week or so of driving I saw the blurry picture. I took a picture of it here it is. Can you kindly tell me in what order to wires go in back of the radio?

I check the 10a fuse and it looks good in the pdc

Attachments

• IMG_20150714_092131.jpg
    IMG_20150714_092131.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20150714_092128.jpg
    IMG_20150714_092128.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20150714_092136.jpg
    IMG_20150714_092136.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20150719_152425.jpg
    IMG_20150719_152425.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 105

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that is wild

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Your the pro, if your confused imagine me! Lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The illustration in the instructions for the back of the radio is a bit confusing. there's a good representation of this by Mpgrimm2 post 90 or 26 I believe . His post helped me .
If it's still confusing look at the male pins on the radio , the ones on my RA2 wer clearly marked 31,32,33

Last edited:

gjimenez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
No way? way? way? way? The diagram is wrong? Well I'm certain that I'm wrong as well. I will dig around for post 90. I'm need it