Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHRISTOPHER ZECCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are eight wires which pin into the connector at the tailgate cavaties 1 thru 6 are for the backup
Camera, pins 7 and 8 are for the locking tailgate. I believe pin 3 circuit Z914 is used as a common ground for both.

PIN CIRCUIT WIRE COLOR GAUGE FUNCTION
1 X970 DG/BR 0.5 CAMERA SIGNAL
2 D403 OR/DB 0.35 LIN BUS CBC 3
3 Z914 BK 0.8 GROUND
4 X971 DG/OR 0.5 CAMERA RETURN
5 X972 BK 0.5 CAMERA SHIELD
6 F923 PK/YL 0.35 RUN RELAY CONTROL
7 P237 DG/TN 0.8 SECONDARY UNLOCK DRIVER
8 P235 LG/TN 0.8 SECONDARY LOCK DRIVER

Where does power come from in this pinout?

CHRISTOPHER ZECCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased an aftermarket camera for a 2014 Bighorn 1500 that already has the 8-pin harness to the tailgate. I have the camera mounted and I've alligator clipped my wires to the male side of the plug using the pin configuration that CPTWING provided above (TY) but I can't figure out by those labels which is the hot wire.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So. With an aftermarket Camera, given the presence of that harness, I should not have to draw power from another source. There are 4 wires on my camera. Signal, Signal Return, Shield, Ground and Trigger. I would then splice them into pins 1, 4, 5, 3 and 6 respectively?

There's no Trigger in the truck per se'. Not sure if your camera has a separate 12v source or not, ie trigger = 12v supply. Basically the camera will be powered up whenever the key is on the 'run' position and outputting video... The radio will decide when to display the BuCam picture, ie in reverse.

Usually, you only need the 4 wires

6 >> 12v SW Power (Run relay)
3 >> Ground
1 >> Signal + (center video pin on RCA)
4 >> Signal Rtn (outer video pin on RCA)

5 >> Shield (most aftermarket cams don't have it)

M² Mods.

Last edited:

CHRISTOPHER ZECCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's no Trigger in the truck per se'. Not sure if your camera has a separate 12v source or not, ie trigger = 12v supply. Basically the camera will be powered up whenever the key is on the 'run' position and outputting video... The radio will decide when to display the BuCam picture, ie in reverse.

Usually, you only need the 4 wires

6 >> 12v SW Power (Run relay)
3 >> Ground
1 >> Signal + (center video pin on RCA)
4 >> Signal Rtn (outer video pin on RCA)

5 >> Shield (most aftermarket cams don't have it)

M² Mods.
Is sounds so simple, yet, I can not get it to respond. I extracted the pins from the connector housing and laid-out my alligator clips connecting those wires. No luck. I'm wondering if I could have fried the camera tinkering with this while it was hot?

CHRISTOPHER ZECCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the culprit! The next junction in the wiring harness omits all of the 6 wires assigned to the camera! Why would they want to dupe owners like that?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I found the culprit! The next junction in the wiring harness omits all of the 6 wires assigned to the camera! Why would they want to dupe owners like that?
Yep, they do that to save money at the factory on the harness. . Specific to the truck. I incorrectly assumed you had verified what you have.
. ... Some trucks missing section from that i550 tailgate connector going forward to the c322 behind the front left wheel well skirt (before it goes in the cab/to the PDC). Some are missing the section from i315/i311 connector near the brake pedal inside going up to the radio.... Some are missing both sections, some are missing more, some have everything except what's on the tailgate. Only way to know, is to check all 4 connectors. See references linked in post 10.

M² Mods.

Jhendrix226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening! New to the forum and have read a lot about installing the OEM reverse camera on my 2014 Ram 1500. I ordered the mopar part #82214240 to install and use with the 8.4 Uconnect. After following the mopar directions EXACTLY and STEP BY STEP as they are listed. I had previously had the code added for the camera at the same time I had the Trailer Brake Control Module activated. I have double and triple checked all connections MULTIPLE times. After completing the installation, I reconnected the battery to the negative post and gave it a shot. Head unit will not power up and also getting service shifter, service trailer brakes, service electronic braking system and the traction control light stays on. I double and triple checked all connections across the install and all was as it should be according to mopar instructions. On the BCM I had to splice the purple wire into the orange/dark blue in slot 45 of the C5 connector. Ok the radio harness, I had to remove blue, lt blue and gray from slots 31-32-33 (first three in the row). Spiced in power under PD box to the Pink/yellow wire in slot 13.

Any ideas as to why I have no power and throwing codes??? TIA

thejed72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, is there a write up anywhere about using alfaobd to add the XAC code? I'm usually pretty good at finding things, but I'm not finding a write up anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Good evening! New to the forum and have read a lot about installing the OEM reverse camera on my 2014 Ram 1500. I ordered the mopar part #82214240 to install and use with the 8.4 Uconnect. After following the mopar directions EXACTLY and STEP BY STEP as they are listed. I had previously had the code added for the camera at the same time I had the Trailer Brake Control Module activated. I have double and triple checked all connections MULTIPLE times. After completing the installation, I reconnected the battery to the negative post and gave it a shot. Head unit will not power up and also getting service shifter, service trailer brakes, service electronic braking system and the traction control light stays on. I double and triple checked all connections across the install and all was as it should be according to mopar instructions. On the BCM I had to splice the purple wire into the orange/dark blue in slot 45 of the C5 connector. Ok the radio harness, I had to remove blue, lt blue and gray from slots 31-32-33 (first three in the row). Spiced in power under PD box to the Pink/yellow wire in slot 13.

Any ideas as to why I have no power and throwing codes??? TIA

You removed the WRONG WIRES AT THE RADIO! They are likely pins 1,2,& 3 for the CANbus communication and airbag signal. Hope you didn't cut them off.

** Pay attention to Post 10 as well as the OP ** and especially post 26.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, is there a write up anywhere about using alfaobd to add the XAC code? I'm usually pretty good at finding things, but I'm not finding a write up anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!
It's not listed as the XAC code in the Alfa tool. This is only the way it shows up with the dealers tool. Go into the Alfa tool under body computer while not connected to the truck and type in(rear) and all the settings for the rear view camera will come up. There are several that need to be set. There should be a list of known working codes in the beginning of the Alfa thread.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I get a weird kick out of some installation instructions.

Sometimes the person writing the instructions think that left & right sides of the vehicle are determined by facing the vehicle, instead of when sitting in the drivers seat.

The first time that i read instructions to install the tailgate camera, the instructions read to run the wiring harness down what would have been the passenger side.
I figured it out when they indicated that the wiring should be zip tied to the factory wiring harness

deeretech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Long time lurker, first time poster

I installed the OEM backup camera kit into my 2013 SLT 2500 yesterday. It has the VP3 radio. 82214240AB is the kit number on the box. I followed the instructions as written. I used my autoenginuity to turn the camera settings on. I now get an image when in reverse but it is very garbled and distorted. I can see the guidance lines and they move with the steering wheel. I have gone back over all the connections I made and I cannot find anything wrong anywhere. Where do I look from here? Thanks!

Last edited:

Putz6x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question? I installed the original OEM camera using Jeepguys harness and instructions years ago. Recently I cracked the camera. Is there a way I could install an aftermarket camera but use the existing wiring harness? I know I would need to tap into some wires but I would like to just do that instead of running all new wires etc. Thanks

deeretech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Figured it out. Bad install instructions about the connector in the driver's footwell. It tells you to populate the connector after putting the harness through the firewall boot incorrectly. Wired it right and it worked like it was factory!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye