Installing subwoofers+amp to factory wiring while keeping stock headunit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doublex5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know there have been many threads about this and I have collected a lot of info from them but I am still having issues. I'm new to car audio with the exception of replacing speakers and factory head units (in other vehicles).

The items I have:
2 Kicker Comp-C 600 Watt subwoofers
Boss R1100 Monoblock Amp (yes I realize this isn't the greatest amp after doing some research, but it came as a packaged deal with the subs. I will probably replace in the future)
Audio Control LC2i Line out converter

Initially I had attempted to set up the LC2i by tapping into the speaker wires of the rear driver's side door, but after talking to a coworker and reading other posts on this forum, I decided to run it through the factory wiring harness. This is the 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 with the premium sound system with the 8 inch factory sub by the way.

2n0sl52.jpg

So here is a pic of my LC2i Line Out Converter. On the top left, I have the four wires from the factory wiring going into their designated spots. I've read that some people used all four wires whereas others only used two? Some clarification on this would be appreciated.

I've read that the remote out is not needed on the LC2i; and my remote in is going to the remote section of my amp. Again, please tell me if I'm doing this correctly or not.

The 12v slot - this one is really confusing since these posts I've read on forums are saying to do this in many different ways. Right now I have it going into the Power (battery) section of my amp and the red light of my LC2i is powering on. But I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. My initial way was to get an 'add a circuit' fuse from an auto parts store and tap into the cigarette lighter of my fuse box... problem is that they only carry ones designed for 10 amps or less (cig lighter fuse is a 20 amp). I've also read about people tapping into the pink wire beneath the driver's seat. I tried that and my LC2i wouldn't turn on. Also tried it with a wire testing kit and it doesn't seem to get any power, however every other single wire in that specific harness lights up when tested.

Last is the ground wire, which I'm positive that I have installed correctly. I have it mounted under a bolt for the rear seats.

On the right side is my RCA's which I have going into the Amplifier

1in2q9.jpg

The positive and negative wires on the left are going directly into one of my subwoofers. I wired the subwoofers accordingly to a crutchfield diagram for 2 subs on a mono channel amp.

The fuse is intact and not broken in any way.

The battery spot is running along the floor of the truck through the firewall and connected to the battery (with an inline fuse). I also have the 12v wire from the LC2i in there as I previously mentioned. Again, tell me if that's a poor idea. Also wanted to say that when I use my wire tester on the battery section, the light on the tester illuminates red rather than blue. I initially thought it was a faulty wire, but then again that wouldn't make sense if my LC2i power light turns on.

My Remote wire is going to my 'remote in' section of the LC2i as aforementioned.

My ground wire is mounted beneath the bolt of the rear seats. I realize it looks loose in this picture, but I fixed it after I took it. Still not powering on though.

I'd also like to mention that when using my wire tester on the LC2i, I must have touched the 12v and ground with the metal part of the tester and the Amplifier 'BOSS' logo did light up... so I know that it isn't blown out or anything.

Forgive me for writing such a long winded post (I feel like I just wrote a college essay), but I just wanted to include as much information as possible. I'm on the verge of just taking it into a shop but I honestly have wanted how to learn more about installing systems for years. This would have been so much easier if I just replaced the headunit but I genuinely like the stock version. Thanks in advance.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You want to use the "remote out" on the LC2i. Run a lead from that to the remote connection on the amp. When the LC2i detects an audio signal it will power the remote out which will in turn tell the amp to turn on.

The "remote in" is used when you have a after market head unit with remote output built in.

Also, make sure the GTO jumper is set to ON.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is how the wiring should be. Yes, you want fuses at both the battery and where the amp and LC2i are. Some people will sit it's not necessary, but better safe than burned up truck sorry.

wiring.jpg

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My LC2i has been hooked directly to my amps power lug for 5 years now. No problems. The hell with running another power line through the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
My LC2i has been hooked directly to my amps power lug for 5 years now. No problems. The hell with running another power line through the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was like that when I used the LC2i in both my truck and my Challenger. Never a single issue

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who said anything about running a second power line for the LC2i?

Not that how you have it hooked up won't work. I simply illustrated the "correct" and safe way to wire electronics in a vehicle.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The fuse for the lc2i should be specific for the lc2i. I want to say 1amp, but check the manual. Make sure your ground point is sanded to bare metal. Use either gto or remote in, not both.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why is an LC2 required? I’m just asking because my install guy didn’t use one on my setup. I installed a fox box and alpine type R sub with a hifonics mono amp. I kept my stock head unit. My system hits pretty dam hard and sounds awesome. The only thing I remember he needed was a hi/lo converter for the amp

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is an LC2 required? I’m just asking because my install guy didn’t use one on my setup. I installed a fox box and alpine type R sub with a hifonics mono amp. I kept my stock head unit. My system hits pretty dam hard and sounds awesome. The only thing I remember he needed was a hi/lo converter for the amp

Is it possible your HU has preamp rca outs? That would make so you dont need a LOC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most new amps don't need an LOC, they can take hi-level in directly. I have never used the LC2 and just use hi level in or a cheap LOC and never have an issue.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Turn the bass down all the way

Apac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty much everything that you've done I am in the process of doing with my 2016 Laramie. Already got the box installed, I also grounded my amplifier a kicker 1200.1 to the rear seat bolts and the only difference between what you and I did is I have a capacitor in my system grounded to the other side. I'm still in the process of hooking up my lc2i Pro, and I have no experience with this so this post and all of your responses have helped so thanks for that. My only question is do I tap my lc2i into the factory subwoofer wires where the factory sub used to be? I've got four wires there a couple of them are green I forgot the other colors but I'm not sure which are positive and negative

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty much everything that you've done I am in the process of doing with my 2016 Laramie. Already got the box installed, I also grounded my amplifier a kicker 1200.1 to the rear seat bolts and the only difference between what you and I did is I have a capacitor in my system grounded to the other side. I'm still in the process of hooking up my lc2i Pro, and I have no experience with this so this post and all of your responses have helped so thanks for that. My only question is do I tap my lc2i into the factory subwoofer wires where the factory sub used to be? I've got four wires there a couple of them are green I forgot the other colors but I'm not sure which are positive and negative

I tapped in to the rear door speaker for my LC2i to run the sub amp. The factory sub is crossed over and not in a good way, while the rear door speakers are full range. Better to have a full range signal and set your amp to LPF.

For switched power I tapped in to the rear cigarette lighter outlet to drive a relay that switched power directly from the battery to power the LC2i. The used the remote out from it as the remote for the amp.

Apac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tapped in to the rear door speaker for my LC2i to run the sub amp. The factory sub is crossed over and not in a good way, while the rear door speakers are full range. Better to have a full range signal and set your amp to LPF.

For switched power I tapped in to the rear cigarette lighter outlet to drive a relay that switched power directly from the battery to power the LC2i. The used the remote out from it as the remote for the amp.
I'm having trouble bro... I've got wires running to both door speakers and I just don't have any sound and I can't figure out why. The power on the amp and the loc are both coming on exactly as expected but I just can't get any sound out of my Subs and I know they're wired correctly it's something to do with the loc and I don't know what