ipad pro as an indash radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I figured I start this thread here as I'm going to start upgraded my sound system !
i have a 2015 rcsb express with an upgraded 5.0 uconnect radio I got from a member on here, and I just ordered a IPAD PRO :happy107: should be here by next week
I'm also going to order a used dash from ebay so I can mold the ipad into it and use the ipad screen as my radio
it's going to be a slow build as this is my 1st time doing anything custom audio in any vehicle :crazy: finger cross and I hope I don't run into any major problems
So I guess stay tuned to see some crazy stuff going on lol
Any tips, comments, or questions are welcomed

Update 12/01/15
Just got the ipad into and this thing is big
Also got a shipping date for the dash it should be here in a few days
Ipad on the left and my wife's Mac book pro 13.3 on the right for size comparison

Update 12/03/15
Started to mod my dash pics on page 2.

Update 12/10/15
Housing complete and glued into place pics on page3.

Update 12/13/15
IPAD IS IN THE DASH almost finished but not done pic on page 3.

Upadter 01/08/16
Version 2.0
primer stage

Attachments

• 20160108_090423.jpg
    20160108_090423.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 5,499
Last edited:

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have buddy (also manager of an auto sound store) custom mold an iPad in to his Acura TL-S. Even put a motor on it to extend it out for mounting and the ability to turn it. I think he also had a receiver or something in the car too. Not quite sure, it was a few years ago, so stuff might not have been as far along.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's been around for awhile. I got the idea from YouTube and watch a few shows like soundman ca, I want to use some motors as well and some other stuff to make my system have some hidden features but I haven't really figured it yet i have to wait till the ipad and dash comes in, the one thing I do know is I'm going to have to relocate the ac/ hazed controls, the towhall and tc buttons

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like a great project, are you good with working with fiberglass & electronics ?

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im in the auto body industry and work for a shop that repairs damaged lease return vehicles , the fiberglass part I got down pat but I don't got the electronic parts down so well lol
I'm gonna start with the ipad over Bluetooth using the factory radio and speaker that way i can skip the electronic parts for now giving me time to slowly research and start planing the parts/equipment I want to use to overhaul the whole system, I think for me that's going to be the hardest part. figuring out all that stuff on my own I don't just want to throw miss match parts together. I might out source that part of the build if I'm 100% sure I can do a great job on the sound quality
I don't want expensive system that sounds like crap :superhack: lol

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My radio is the RA3, so may be a little different than your RA2...

First thing to do is play with the basic functions and see how you can make it work. If you just want the iPad as a music source, it will be easy. If you want the iPad to have internet/phone access, it gets harder. Some stuff you assume will work, might not.

I would want my caller ID and phone calls to display on the iPad (assuming your RA2 screen will not be visible). I would also want to use the iPad to place phone calls and access Siri. With the latest version of IOS, you could do this with Apple's "continuity" feature if the iPad is cell capable. Also, with my wifi only iPad/iPhone, I can't get the iPad to automatically connect to my iPhone's hotspot, so my iPad has no connectivity without digging my phone out and cycling the hotspot on and off.

Since I need a new cell capable tablet to work the way I want it, I'm looking at Samsung S6/Tab S2 vs iPhone/iPad before deciding.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the ipad pro with cell capability with tmobile so I'll be using there coverage to do everything that needs Internet and they also don't have data chargers for streaming music and videos. that's a big bonus I will also be upgrading my phone to an iphone6+ once i get everything down so I can use the extra features that come with the ipad. from what I understand i can answer and use my phone through the ipad if it's paired. It will be interesting cuz I'm currently on an android

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a similiar set-up in my Challenger using an iPad. Cool "wow" feature, but really not that great. I would rather have a fully functional radio and then mirror my iphone/ipad on to it.

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It should work well using Apple's Continuity feature. You should be able to pair the iPad only to your RA2, then set up Continuity/Handoff so all of your texts, phone calls etc will be available on your iPad. I look forward to hearing from you how it works in the real world.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
News: I just got my iPad pro in today just as size comparison it's about the same size as my wife's 2015 Mac book pro 13.3 in
I'm waiting on my dash bezel ups says it should be here on the 3rd so if everything works out well I should have a fun weekend project I'm so excited

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update 12/03/15 got my dash in didn't take a pic but it was just a normal whole center dash
So I had an hour to chop up the dash and everything is working out alright, the one thing I'm trying to work out is where I can put the traction control and tow hall buttons, rams design making the whole panel one piece is stupid :flipthebird: my plan was to put it under the right side cubby but doesn't look like that will fit anyways here some more pics

Attachments

• 20151203_181320.jpg
    20151203_181320.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 20151203_181255.jpg
    20151203_181255.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 590
OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could put the traction control/tow haul panel in the storage pull out tray for the time being... I could fab up a harness to extend the center switch harness if that would make it easier for you.

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it very much and I'll keep in touch
once I open up my dash to see how long wires are and to try to map everything out I'll start to know what I need. I was planning on relocating the AC controls in that area by removing that storage tray and make Beauty panel to hold the AC controls that looks stock

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could make an AC extension also. Not too hard haha.

This will be down the road for me, but would you be able to make a harness that plugs into the factory amplifier output side, and one a female plug that plugs into the factory plug that went into the output?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
This will be down the road for me, but would you be able to make a harness that plugs into the factory amplifier output side, and one a female plug that plugs into the factory plug that went into the output?

PM me your vin and I can check.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update 12/04/15
Didn't do much as it's was way to late to pay with fiberglass after I got home
I was able to fiberglass a fast pan to start everything off. I can't wait for tomorrow:crazy: I should have a rough mock up and maybe even be able to drive with it in the truck by Monday

The pic is of the fiberglass pan laying in the dash
Tomorrow I will reinforce the dash bezel and cut it up some more so I can drop the pan in deeper

Attachments

• 20151204_200218.jpg
    20151204_200218.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm jumping on board for this build! Good luck!

Thanks I'm super excited for the build
I got sick last weekend I didn't get anything done, that being said I've been using the ipad everyday as my radio and have no complaints.

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update 12/10/15
Getting close, built the "housing" for the ipad and glued it into place now I just need to make some filler pieces to fill in the gaps and then body work it should be done by this weekend hopefully nothing slows me down!
I changed to mdf for the housing as it was easier to put together

Attachments

• 20151210_211320.jpg
    20151210_211320.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 20151210_211306.jpg
    20151210_211306.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Food for thought... have you considered hard wiring in a charging port? This would help secure it, and keep it charged at all times. Also have you thought about how you would remove it? A small notch at the top to get your finger behind could work as well. Here is mine when I had it in my Challenger.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/the727kid/DSC00692.jpg

Last edited: