iPhone 7plus messaging issues with the RA4 8.4NA RADIO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife just got an iPhone 7plus and on her RA4 8.4NA radio now the messaging icon is greyed out .
She had an Android prior and the voice texting worked great hands free and via touchscreen.

Is there a settings within the iPhone that needs to be turned on ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
My wife just got an iPhone 7plus and on her RA4 8.4NA radio now the messaging icon is greyed out .
She had an Android prior and the voice texting worked great hands free and via touchscreen.

Is there a settings within the iPhone that needs to be turned on ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

As far as I know, the "voice txt" features are different when using an iOS device vs when using an Android device. Once I receive a txt messages, it will appear on the Uconnect screen and announce who it's from and give me the option to ignore it or read it, but that's it. If I want to reply I have to do so buy using the "siri eyes free" feature. I am using an iPhone 7 plus and my previous phone was an iPhone 6 ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as I know, the "voice txt" features are different when using an iOS device vs when using an Android device. Once I receive a txt messages, it will appear on the Uconnect screen and announce who it's from and give me the option to ignore it or read it, but that's it. If I want to reply I have to do so buy using the "siri eyes free" feature. I am using an iPhone 7 plus and my previous phone was an iPhone 6 ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Did you have to turn on something in settings on the iPhone to get this to work ?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can't send messages from the radio with an iPhone. iOS supports the Bluetooth MAP profile, but only for received messages.

To enable it, you need to go to Settings>Bluetooth in the phone and click the blue "i" to the right of "Uconnect". Then turn on "show notifications". You might have to disconnect and reconnect once before it works.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ 00R/T .
I did do that , and had some success, the Messaging icon on the radio went from grey to white , but when I sent her a text it did not show up on the radio screen to read or listen it only showed up on the iPhone ?

I tried to push the phone button to reply , like with the android and the radio prompted me to push the VR BUTTON , so I did and at that point I could speak to siri for a reply ( via her connected iPhone 7plus )
but the incoming or outgoing messages never did populate on the recent messages on the radio ? The messaging area just remained blank .

Am I missing something in the iPhone settings or since the iPhone doesn't support MAP this is just not possible ?
Or maybe here radio requires an update ?

I should mention this is not a RAM , it's a Challenger RT Plus 2016 with the RA4 8.4NA.

Thanks for any response!

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can't send messages from the radio with an iPhone. iOS supports the Bluetooth MAP profile, but only for received messages.

To enable it, you need to go to Settings>Bluetooth in the phone and click the blue "i" to the right of "Uconnect". Then turn on "show notifications". You might have to disconnect and reconnect once before it works.

What he said ^^^ and to use the Siri hands free, all you do is hold down the Voice Recognition (VR) button on the steering wheel until you hear the Siri chime. That's the only way to send voice messages through the truck using an iOS device.

It sucks, I know lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well we will play with it for a few more days , but I have 15 days to return the iPhone
Looks like we may go back to VZW and get the Samsung 7 edge Android , or maybe try out some other Android .
She wanted to try the iPhone out and when we found out we had a no Q ask 15 day return , figured it was worth a try ...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well we will play with it for a few more days , but I have 15 days to return the iPhone
Looks like we may go back to VZW and get the Samsung 7 edge Android , or maybe try out some other Android .
She wanted to try the iPhone out and when we found out we had a no Q ask 15 day return , figured it was worth a try ...
As mentioned, it unfortunately comes down to Apple's use of the MAP BT protocol. They could make it work if they wanted to, but they probably want people moving to vehicles with CarPlay (cheaper then replacing a phone right?). Remember, the only good Apple is the kind you can eat!

My Samsung Gs7 (Android v6.0.1) works great with my RA4. The gs7 is practically identical to the edge, and bonus... doesn't explode like the Note 7.

Edit.
For me the screen on my regular GS7 goes far enough to the edge of the bezel that I have a hard time not accidentally selecting items on the edge of the screen just holding it. I imagine the Gs7 Edge would be worse. I added a simple$6 case which helps a lot. My co worker has an edge and said he has issues with the screen protector he added which doesn't want to lay down/follow the curve at the screen 'edge'. Maybe needs a different brand.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info buddy !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can Apple car play be loaded into a 16 RA4 8.4NA to help with iPhone compatibility?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can Apple car play be loaded into a 16 RA4 8.4NA to help with iPhone compatibility?

No. Only the next gen UConnect in the 2017 Charger/300 supports it.

scottysize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I didn't even realize it until this thread, but no, my iPhone 7 isn't reading my texts any longer. My 6s did, but the new 7 doesn't.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I didn't even realize it until this thread, but no, my iPhone 7 isn't reading my texts any longer. My 6s did, but the new 7 doesn't.

what ios was on your 6s? the 7 came loaded is ios 10

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the iPhone 7 with ios 10.1.1 and my RA3 will read incoming texts for me. I use the "hey siri" option to reply and don't ever bother pushing the steering wheel button to activate siri.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm, very interesting

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe UConnect had an update a few months ago to help be more compatible with the IPhones. I'm not sure if it deals with your issue or not. I'm curious about it, though, as I'm going to go back to an IPhone 7 or 7+ in a couple of months. You might try and check to see if her UConnect is up to date with the latest software.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did verify this morning on the www.driveuconnect.com site that the radio has the latest software version " siri eyes free" I've gone though the phone and other than turning on the "i" for notifications , I just don't see any other options for what I need ?

We will be going back to VZW today to get an android device , likely the Samsung 7 ..... which is what I suggested to the wife initially
She wanted to try something new .
There are things she likes about the iPhone 7plus but it's not mind blowing like some say .

She would've been happy keeping it if it was 100% compatible with her new 16 Challenger RT Plus with the RA4 8.4NA radio .

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they selling the Samsungs with bomb suits yet? Lol j/k... Just go to Settings > Siri > Make sure first option is checked green. Also Settings>Bluetooth>Uconnect>Turn on "Show Notifications" It works great in both the Ram and the brand new Charger.

Last edited: