I've never been so mind boggled by a backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So i originally had an issue with the backup camera i got for my pioneer hu. It was not coming up at all but would randomly show a black screen but no picture.

Anyway i recently solved that by buying a better camera.

but now the issue got even more annoying. I get a picture but only with the truck turned to ACC.....When the truck is completely on in reverse nothing comes up at all, no black screen no nothing.

Even when the picture comes up on ACC it has lines going threw it like interference of some sort, but whatever i could deal with that.

But the fact that it wont show up with the truck actually on makes no sense, if it comes on with ACC it should come on with the truck on?

I have it wired to the reverse light. Along with the trigger wire. Headunit is a pioneer 5000nex

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I have a pioneer 5600bhs with Metra nav harness. Pioneer reverse wire hooked up to the Metra one. Had to switch the camera polarity on the pioneer menu to battery. Otherwise it was black or on all the time when on a different setting. After checking that, go through the video signal type like ntsc or pal.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i currently have it on battery. Maybe ill try switching to ground. The camera i have has a button to switch between ntsc and pal, so ill try that but i dont see how that wouldnt allow it to come on when the truck is on

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you getting any light out messages in your Evic ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure you are wired to the reverse light wire ?

I'm not familiar with this BU Cam & Head unit , but per the kits operating cenarios should you be getting an image in ACC ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No light out message and yeah it's definitely wired to the reverse light.

When the key is turned to acc the reverse light will come on so yeah it would make sense that it would work in that scenario but the fact it doesn't when the truck is actually on is crazy

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm , well let's see . The ACC position is getting power from the PDC via battery power only , due to the Alternator not providing the primary source of power .
Today's vehicles have a voltage regulator within the Alternator, the VR has several functions , one of which is supplying it's own output voltage to a reverse current relay RCR , within this circuitry this allows the vehicles Alternator to become the primary source of power while the engine is running & essentially removing the battery from being a primary power source . This allows the Alternator to recharge the battery from starting the engine .
While the truck is under Alternator pwr some circuits ( or portions of circuits ) do not have voltage available to them .

Without getting too technical , you may be able to tap into the reverse light circuit in a different location and solve your problem .
Such as @ the PDC fuse circuit for reverse lighting , or @ the BCM by tapping into a wire before a connector .

If you have the dial shift knob you could tap directly to the (R) for your trigger . If your shifter is on the column you could do the same , just more difficult to get to .

Where did you tap into the reverse lighting ?
Hope this helps !

Last edited:
OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i get what your saying there. I should try that.

I tapped into my reverse light At the reverse light. The RCA cable that came with the original backup camera had a trigger wire sticking out on both ends for that

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
okay so i stopped trying to solve this with logic. I took the remote wire and the power wire. Put them right on the battery, it worked with the truck on. Mind blowing lol.

I was looking for a fuse for the reverse lights, cant find one...ofcourse. Trailer reverse lights use a bigger fuse and im going to just throw an add a fuse thing on.

But since there is no reverse light fuse i dont know what to add it to. Maybe the stock backup camera fuse spot?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Scratch that...forgot they had to use micro fuses. I can't find a add a circuit for those anywhere around me.

Anyone have any idea what I can tap into for power on reverse only?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran into same issue when i installed my backup camera. originally i installed it to my reverse tail light feed. however i had the same issue. i than wired it to the reverse wire on my trailer light connector and it worked fine no issue.
Just run the trigger wire and rca right from trailer harness to your headunit. I believe its a purple wire on the larger connector. Use it for your backup camera power and your headunit trigger wire. For backup camera just pick a nice bolt underneath vehicle for ground and you should be good.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yeah i actually just did that before. Now it finally works. No clue why the reverse light doesn't work but whatever.

Now on to fixing my retrofits and my gear swap

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i actually just did that before. Now it finally works. No clue why the reverse light doesn't work but whatever.

Now on to fixing my retrofits and my gear swap

glad it worked out for you.....and it has to do with canbus detecting extra restistance or a greater load (amperage) on that circuit and basically cuts off the voltage to that circuit.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
What's wrong with the retrofits?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
im not sure, both the low beams stopped working. I didnt have time to fix them and needed to use my truck at night so i ripped out all of it and put the stockers back in.

Now i need to go over the harness and see if anything is broken/burnt/pulled