j1877p 2014 RCSB Audio Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j1877p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Well, I'm going to apologize in advance because this build will take me much more time than I would like, and as such there will not be regular updates quite as often as some would prefer. I am not a patient man and this install will definitely be testing my patience. This thread will act, not only as timeline but, as research for the build.

I have been into home and mobile audio since the 90's and have had a system in every vehicle since my first car ('86 Chevette........stop laughing). I have never ran an active system but will be with this build. I am by no means an expert, far from it, and welcome suggestions and opinions.

So I am in the research phase of my build and I can give you some details or guidelines.

1. I will be keeping the 8.4a, with added navigation intact
2. I will be re-using some equipment from previous systems
3. I will be at least for now keeping a mostly stock appearance
4. This will not be a straight sound quality nor straight SPL build
5. I listen to all kinds of music from Hip-hop, Rock, Pop, Electronic, occasionally country and everything in between

To answer the questions from #2 above, lets list the equipment I already own that could potentially find their way into this build.

1. JL Audio HD900/5 amp x1
2. JL Audio XD500/3v2 amp x1
3. JL Audio 12w3v3-2 sub x1
4. Polk Audio db6501 components x1

Everything is subject to change and this is just a starting point due to me already owning this equipment. I am already thinking of changing the components.....we'll see.

If I keep everything, this is what I am thinking....
From the 900/5
2 channels to the db6501 mids in the front doors
2 channels to mids in the dash (TBD)
sub channel to the 12w3 in a sealed enclosure

From the 500/3
2 channels to the db6501 tweets in the door sails
sub channel to 6 1/2", 6"x9" or 8" subs in the rear 6"x9" openings (TBD)

I will start the build by upgrading some of the electrical system (Big 4). Sound deadening will be next. Then I can begin wiring and installing equipment.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Keep everything, get rid of something, change everything?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I like the Polks, I don't think using them in a 3-way system is ideal. Could keep the tweets, and get a more dedicated woofer to match up with whatever mid you choose. I love the idea of using subs in the rears doors, it has crossed my mind as well.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You are going to need a sound processor right? I was recommended something called the minidsp by another member on here. I have not had a chance to use it but it seems promising for a simple active setup. You however may need something more complex.

I would leave speakers out of the dash completely. Put the tweets in the sail panels. Most people on here seem to have done that. But sound is very subjective so tape them suckers on the sail and try them on the dash to see how they perform for your ears.

If you decide to start over, feel free to offer that 900.5 to me :)

Check parts-express for some rear mid/subs if you haven't already. Don't waste your time with coax 6.5's. Mine, while nothing high-end, have minimal impact and will go away after my headlight retrofit project is complete.

OP
OP
j1877p

j1877p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
While I like the Polks, I don't think using them in a 3-way system is ideal. Could keep the tweets, and get a more dedicated woofer to match up with whatever mid you choose.

Yes you're right. The polks are just a starting point and will most likely change by the time I actually get to the point of actually installing them.

I love the idea of using subs in the rears doors, it has crossed my mind as well.

Well it's a regular cab but same idea. I would like to install 8's there but will have to see how much room I have.

You are going to need a sound processor right? I was recommended something called the minidsp by another member on here. I have not had a chance to use it but it seems promising for a simple active setup.

Yes a processor would be a necessity. Yeah I have been looking at a few members audio builds and have heard the miniDSP mentioned a couple times. It seems to be a good modest processor. Much more research to do.

I would leave speakers out of the dash completely. Put the tweets in the sail panels. Most people on here seem to have done that. But sound is very subjective so tape them suckers on the sail and try them on the dash to see how they perform for your ears.

I will be wiring for all locations mentioned above and will install the dash mids but like you said sound is subjective and if I don't like them I will disconnect them and re-tune. No harm done and yes tape is a good idea to try speakers in different locations prior to installing them for good.

If you decide to start over, feel free to offer that 900.5 to me :)

LOL! Not a chance. I love this amp and I will find another use for it even if it somehow does not make it into the truck. :cheers:

Check parts-express for some rear mid/subs if you haven't already. Don't waste your time with coax 6.5's.

Yep I'm already looking even though its still too early for it. Yes coax speakers would be a waste but if I'm honest I have to say that I have some OCD issues. I would still put some coax's there because it would bother me having the empty hole but I think putting a couple subs there will solve the issue. I have a sickness. :banghead: