Jack's Full Dynamat Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
What's the deal with the two flappy doodads on the rear wall and can they be dynomated over?

Air vents. Let em breathe or you may get crazy ear pressure when you close your doors and roll up/down windows.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
getting better at taking these carrier plates off and on. The dynamat on this passenger door made a huge improvement in noise control. I have enough Dynamat for the dash speaker housing and then need to order more. $$$

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
getting better at taking these carrier plates off and on. The dynamat on this passenger door made a huge improvement in noise control. I have enough Dynamat for the dash speaker housing and then need to order more. $$$

Nice! But how did you get all that stuff out?

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Nice! But how did you get all that stuff out?

The carrier plate is a pretty flexible piece of plastic. It is held in place with centered top and bottom dowels. Pull from the top, away from door, and gently maneuver the lock actuator as you go. Other than the retaining bolts around the plastic, the door handle linkage release and the door edge's 3 bolts that retain the actuator, you only have to disconnect the electrical connections. Popping the cable retention clips gives you more room to maneuver. If you have side steps you can rotate the plate, and rest it there without having to remove the cable from the backside of the carrier plate -- but even that is just a couple of retention clips and a grommet.

In the video link above, the guy cuts into the small access panel. Doing this seems like a requirement to access both sides of the window releases.

Hope that is what you meant by "all that stuff?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I'm wondering how much of a difference this is going to make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done the roof, hood or the driver door yet, but the dynamat everywhere else, the 1/2 inch dynaliner on the back wall and rear bench, 1/4 in dynaliner on the floor, and 1/8 dynaliner on the 3 doors I have finished, as well as the dynapad, it is DRAMATICALLY different. I haven't put the jumpseat, passenger seat, pillar covers, scuff plates or carpet back in and it is a bankvault-like experience. No echo, very little exhaust note or engine noise heard, and when I turn the music on -- it sounds incredibly crisp.

Just waiting on more Dynamat for the driver door and roof. Then off to the hoodliner.

It ain't cheap -- not gonna lie. But with the quality of noise reduction experienced already, it's been worth all the sweat, cuts, beer, cussing and $$.

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any estimates on the total added weight?

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Just over 75 lbs thus far.

Last edited:

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any major setbacks thus far? I love the idea of taking it to this level but, doing those carrier plates looks like A LOT of ********. Do you really feel doing those is worth the effort?

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Any major setbacks thus far? I love the idea of taking it to this level but, doing those carrier plates looks like A LOT of ********. Do you really feel doing those is worth the effort?

When I started my first carrier plate, a lightbulb went off and then it was straightforward from there. After the first one, the others are much simpler. The Dynamat on those doors made a massive difference.

I have driver door left. I will take a video tearing it down and reassembling and post to Youtube. Wed/Thur this week.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I put everything back together, vacuumed the carpet and dropped my Weathertech floor mats back in. Took the wife for a spin and she said it is quieter than her Lexus sedan. That is all I needed for validation.

Just driver door, headliner and hood left. Putting in an Alpine amp and a JL stealthbox this week too. It's gonna be a different vehicle after that.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I dampened, CCF, &MLV'd my entire truck, I could hear my wife breathing while going down the interstate. It was like a bank vault. The roof was my last project and it didn't make much of a difference besides removing resonances. Doors, back wall & floors are a must, roof not so much

I agree with the roof... Most likely because there isn't much noise coming from above... Unless you live by an extremely busy airfield or it's the end of the world and asteroids are coming! Lol
But for resonance and noise it was very effective on my Jeeps plastic-y hard top...

Great job on deadening OP! :favorites13:

Last edited:

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I BLAME SOCAL!!!

So, it was a beautiful out when I got home from work, so I decided I would detail the inside of the truck. I'm cleaning away, radio kicking to Godsmack, maybe it was Disturbed, anywho, all the sudden I heard it. This gawd awful rattling. It was because I had the doors open that it was so obvious now. The vibration was bad. I have to do something to tighten up those panels. Yes SOCAL, I know what this means... If I'm goin in there, I'm goin' balls out cuz I'm only gonna do it once!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I BLAME SOCAL!!!

So, it was a beautiful out when I got home from work, so I decided I would detail the inside of the truck. I'm cleaning away, radio kicking to Godsmack, maybe it was Disturbed, anywho, all the sudden I heard it. This gawd awful rattling. It was because I had the doors open that it was so obvious now. The vibration was bad. I have to do something to tighten up those panels. Yes SOCAL, I know what this means... If I'm goin in there, I'm goin' balls out cuz I'm only gonna do it once!

I know the same thing is going to happen to me soon. :Stupid Me:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the roof... Most likely because there isn't much noise coming from above... Unless you live by an extremely busy airfield or it's the end of the world and asteroids are coming!
Great job on deadening OP! :favorites13:

I want the roof becuase here in Florida we get "Big-ol-fat-rain" Its so loud sometimes you have to nearly yell over a conversation.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I want the roof becuase here in Florida we get "Big-ol-fat-rain" Its so loud sometimes you have to nearly yell over a conversation.

Yes here in Tx, too. Also I am doing the roof to give a little more protection from the heat penetrating down. I am already finding the cab to be cooler when I come out of the store, etc. it's been triple digits hot the last couple of weeks here in Central Tx, but during that time, all this Dyna-**** has helped, so getting into the cab isn't the oven it usually is.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got crazy rattle in my overhead center console. Any thoughts on how to correct that w/o dynomating my roof lol