JL audio price check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, thank you to everyone on this forum for posting so many helpful threads. Because of this forum, my 2014 ram 1500 QC Express has a new leather steering wheel, $100 remote start, and will soon get Laramie seats once I track down a QC set.

So, I called the only local JL Audio installer in my area to get a quote on some new equipment. He told me $1350+tax for the JL xd700 5 channel amp, upgraded wiring and extra year of warranty, and the stealth box sub, installed. Is this a decent price? Is there a different setup I should consider in this price range? I listen to mostly hip hop, some rock and country, and audio books(don't judge me). Also, I plan on replacing the door speakers myself but haven't decided on specific speakers. I was originally hoping to stay under $1500. Now I'm trying to stay under $2k for everything. Thanks!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's fair for a shop to put quality gear in for sure, you can get more from doing it yourself for the cash but you don't have that piece of mind warranty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks. They also said 700 for just the amp installed including the upgraded wiring and installation. I think I'd be comfortable installing the sub myself. I've installed a couple head units, a kicker sub/amp combo, and door speakers in other vehicles, but this JL amp costs more than all that other stuff combined, so I'd like a pro to install it. With all that being said, is there a better sub option for the remaining $650? I saw Netaudio is a popular box option at $275. And do you have any door speaker recommendations up to $250/pair?

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a pretty good price indeed. The sub is $650 on it's own and the amp could be had online for about $500. So for $200 the dealer is providing the amp install kit, interface wiring and labor. Not too shabby.

Is he wiring the 4 channels of outputs to all of your doors or is he just doing the wiring for the sub?

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is that he is wiring the amp to all the door speakers as well. But I guess I need to make sure I get confirmation on that.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for the Netaudio, that is the price for the enclosure so you would still have to get the sub, mount it, etc. That sub is roughly $225 that is used in the Stealthbox so you would save about $150 going the Netaudio route. Having a one stop source is nice though if you were to go all JL.

There are so many recommendations for door speakers. I suggest go and listen to some at the local dealer. You will need to decide if you want a 2-way speaker or if you want to go component and place the tweeter in your sails or dash. I personally like a component setup.

If you do decide component, give a hard listen to different types of component tweeters. Tweeters are made of different materials and your ear may like silk over metal or vice versa. The tweeter in itself can make you love or hate a component setup.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My understanding is that he is wiring the amp to all the door speakers as well. But I guess I need to make sure I get confirmation on that.

If this is the case, I would consider this a steal of a deal. There is considerable amount of labor that goes into running wires to the doors. Most likely he is not including new wiring, rather "breaking" into the connection so be sure to check on that. It does not really matter for the wattage you are running, you do not need new wires but it's nice to know what you are paying for right?

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies! I'll check into the shop and see what speakers he has to demo.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I agree with everything above. Seems like you're dealing with a good shop, and you're def looking at some nice equipment. I agree with trout, if they're going to run the wires to the doors, that's a great plus!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say the price is pretty fair, and a bit on the low side. $200 for an amp kit/LOC and labor would worry me. I'd make sure your very clear on what is being done.

1. Amplifying the factory speakers? New wires to doors or just 9 wire from the head unit? If he said that price is to run new wires to the doors, I would be worried about the quality of work.
2. Is he using LOCs, if so what kind, how many? How is he getting the signal to the amp and where. You want a quality one that will show resistance to the head unit.
3. What kind of RCAs is he using? Is he going to put the RCAs and LOCs behind the dash incase you decide to get a new HU down the road? Is he going to run the RCAs and power on opposite sides?
4. What size power wire is he using? 4 gauge/8 gauge? Is it cheapo stuff or quality? Ask to see the wire, see how the wire/shield ratio is. Some "4 gauge" wire is like 8 gauge because it has so much shielding.

With quality LOCs and wiring, I can't imagine he is making much money at all at that price. Sometimes this is where people get screwed. The shop made no money off the install, then runs into issues because they took short cuts, then they won't work on it, or care, because they made no money off of you. And then you have to pay another shop to fix everything right.

Not trying to scare you off, but it's something I see way too often.

If your inclined, I would do it your self. These trucks are very easy to work on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like people are a little skeptical of the price. I'll go into the shop and make sure to get more detailed answers. Thanks for arming me with specific questions!

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to go with Ken's Car Tunes for just under $1500 for the JL Stealthbox, JL XD700 5 channel amp, JL-XD-PCS4-1B "upgraded wiring kit," a cheap LOC, and the JL bass knob, and all installation (including wiring the amp to the door speakers). As of right now, he is installing the PAC-SNI15 LOC. Would it be worth it to upgrade this? I've seen several people on this forum are using the AudioControl LC6i or LC2i. I do not plan on swapping out my Uconnect 5.0, but I will most likely upgrade my door speakers.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can the JL amp accept only a two channel input and output 5 channels? Other wise you will need more than one LOC. I am not sure 100% sure if your radio needs to see resistance on the lines, but most Chrysler radios do. I would recommend the PAC LOC-Pro series for this.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The PAC will give you one L&R output. If you want to maintain fade, you will need two of them. Really up to you, I have never been the type to mess with fade control in vehicles, it always stays in the middle.

The same would go with the LC2i. You would need 2 of them to maintain fade though the LC2i does give you subwoofer control but so does your amp so it's kind of redundant.

Just for general knowledge, the amp you are getting will take up to 6 inputs but can do the whole job with just 2 inputs. You would want to utilize 4 of the inputs if you wanted to maintain fade. You would want to utilize all 6 inputs if you were running an aftermarket HU that had front/rear/sub outputs or if you were running a DSP.

So why did you move on from the first dealer to Ken's? Just was not "feeling" it?

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I think that makes sense about the LOCs. The installer mentioned waiting on more/expensive LOCs in case I upgraded the head unit. I want good sound, but I don't really want to mess around with much tuning or a dsp. The amp, sub, and new door speakers will hopefully be enough for me. Ken's car tunes is actually the first and only shop I went to. They are the only JL authorized installer in my area. I called around to a couple other shops and they quoted me three times the labor cost. I'm hoping that I'll be better off going through a JL authorized shop. Additionally, my specific installer has been doing this for 16 years and he even showed me his xd1000 and stealth box setup in his personal f-250.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I think that makes sense about the LOCs. The installer mentioned waiting on more/expensive LOCs in case I upgraded the head unit. I want good sound, but I don't really want to mess around with much tuning or a dsp. The amp, sub, and new door speakers will hopefully be enough for me. Ken's car tunes is actually the first and only shop I went to. They are the only JL authorized installer in my area. I called around to a couple other shops and they quoted me three times the labor cost. I'm hoping that I'll be better off going through a JL authorized shop. Additionally, my specific installer has been doing this for 16 years and he even showed me his xd1000 and stealth box setup in his personal f-250.

The $1500 seems pretty fair for what you are getting. Typical going rate on labor for that would be about $200. Crazy to think someone would charge 3x what another shop would. Sounds like you got a cool guy.

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah he charged $150 for labor for the amp and the sub. One installer quoted me $300 to install a single channel amp. Ouch!