keep 8.4 NA Alpine, but add subs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morning all,

2015 ram cc 1500

Ive searched through the threads and am unable to find what I'm looking for. Im wanting to install 2 subs under my back seat. I have the alpine set up now. My questions are:

-Does my stock 8.4NA unit have a sub preout on it. If no, what will I need to run to an amp.

-Do I require any type of interfaces or adapters?

-What do I do with the stock amp?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. simply remove the factory sub, use the signal going into the factory sub box and go into a LOC. the factory doesnt have any preouts
2. a LOC
3. stock amp powers all other speakers it will still stay in the truck and be used.

OP
OP
H

Hagen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. simply remove the factory sub, use the signal going into the factory sub box and go into a LOC. the factory doesnt have any preouts
2. a LOC
3. stock amp powers all other speakers it will still stay in the truck and be used.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!!!!

recommend a LOC?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for something like this just a cheap loc is all you need. i have even used the wally world ones before with an alpine setup and it worked great.

If you were to replace and amp all the other speakers then i would look into a dsp or once of the new devices that are out (threads on them i cant remember who makes them)

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would also recommend some type of summing device to restore bass loss when the volume is turned up. LC7 or other...the factory Alpine system pulls bass output in conjunction with the volume knob from the system when the volume is turned up. This is an annoying bit of processing that essentially protects the speakers from being mechanically over driven ....problem is, it will show up with your aftermarket subwoofers and kill output the more you turn the volume up....seems counter productive huh?
it is!

94z28joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the alpine 8.4 in my truck. I replaced my factory sub yesterday. Used a PAC LOC and a JL HX300/1 amp with a JL10w3v3 2 ohm 10" in a single box that replaces the factory box and it sounds 100x's better than the factory setup.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also recommend some type of summing device to restore bass loss when the volume is turned up. LC7 or other...the factory Alpine system pulls bass output in conjunction with the volume knob from the system when the volume is turned up. This is an annoying bit of processing that essentially protects the speakers from being mechanically over driven ....problem is, it will show up with your aftermarket subwoofers and kill output the more you turn the volume up....seems counter productive huh?
it is!

I thought if you grab the signal at the factory sub it doesnt cut as much as the other speakers in the truck?

OP
OP
H

Hagen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! the more input the better!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2. a LOC

Ok, you have my interest. I have the same setup as the OP. I swore my 2014 Sport without the Alpine system sounded better sometimes....lol....go figure.

Anyway, I'm a noob here...what is a "LOC"...Line Out Converter?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, without looking, what size sub is underneath the back seat with the Alpine system?.....8"? If I wanted to keep the oem box what would you guys recommend....brands/models?

1. LOC?
2. amp?
3. sub?

I just feel like there isn't much of a punch with the bass as it is. I also read that you can just stuff some poly in the box with the oem sub for better sound.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought if you grab the signal at the factory sub it doesnt cut as much as the other speakers in the truck?

Does anyone know if this is true? I read on another thread in this forum where it sounds like the head unit is cutting the signal or is it the oem amp?