Keyless Entry and Alarm ad on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings all! The question of the day is I have a 2016 RAM 1500 2dr tradesman with manual windows and manual locks and regular keys. I'm looking at putting power door locks, alarm and remote start. I'll be doing the install myself. So, has anybody done this and can I get a parts list please?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to be a jerk... But why? Did you just get that killer of a deal that you couldn't pass up?

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. I didn't really want all the accessories that comes on the fancy rigs. But I decided I wanted a few extras like door locks, remote start, and maybe improve the radio too.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's probably wired for lucks. Hit a wreckers and pull some power actuators or whatever out.

As for remote start...I dunno. New fobs and a new ignition cylinder to read them. New pcm maybe?? If you want the stock remote start. Aftermarket might be infinitely easier.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. I could have searched the forum for this topic but I really do not have time to search tonight. I have a 2016 RAM 1500 regular cab tradesman with roll up windows and manual door locks. I want to add remote door locks and alarm and remote start. Since my truck uses a regular key (no fob being used here), Id like to improve the truck some. If you have done this, what brand did you go with and where did you get it. Thanks in advance and RAM ON!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for starters you will need a bypass module.

There are many brands out there as i was a professional installer at different shop a few years back. What you will find on a lot of forums you will get input from installers they usually lean towards what they are most comfortable installing.

that being said its not always about the most expensive unit that will be the best. i would always say you can take a $500+ unit ad have a sh*tty install and have issues or take a cheap ebay unit and have it work flawlessly with the good install.

most will say compustar, dei brands (viper...), other name brands i have found reliable are autopage, audiovox.

what you really need to do is find the price point and the features you may want. then narrow it down to a brand.

as for the door locks you will have to add actuators into the door. this can be done fairly easy for a installer, but you can expect to add another 100-200 to the price (for two doors) but depends on the shop.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your information. I dont remember if I had responded to your post or not. So, being a former installer, what would you recommend for my 2016 RAM 1500 Tradesman 2dr? I am very mechanically inclined and do all of my own installs and maintenance. I want to install remote start with a decent alarm system, keeping in mind I have manual door locks, a regular key (no fob), and roll up windows. And yes I will want to do power windows as well. I am not brand specific on any of the equipment, and I will do my install myself, as I absolutely HATE paying labor or install fees! I love doing it myself for several reasons. I know how it was installed, how to repair any issues with it, and pride.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To do these trucks you need a bypass module. With these modules they make the actual connections to the truck very minimal. Like 6-8 wires. However the kicker is these modules need to be programmed and you need access to a computer with a dealer account to program them. With manual locks you will need actuators and relays to control them.

If you have never done a remote start/alarm install i would strongly recommend against it. Vehicles are so sensitive now days that any wrong connect or even testing a wrong wire can cause sensor failure or trip CELS.